Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,876 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys

I'm preparing my property to come onto the market in 4 months. It's not ready yet as I want to get a few things in place first.

I'd like to let buyers in the market now, know that my property will be available soon, so that if they like my property they can choose to wait (and not buy something else without knowing mine was coming onto the market).

It will also allow me to line up potential offers on my home, so that when I do list in 4 months it will sell fast and at the highest price.

Is it legal to do this? Im actually interested in which states this would be legal.

I know Zillow allows a 'Make Me Move' price, but I will actually advertise a future date like this:

Property Address: XXXXXXXXX
Price: $400K
Available: In 4 months (not for sale yet)

So I will be saying a future date that it will be coming onto the market.

I would love to hear whether you think this is a good idea. And any legal issues.

Thanks!
Leigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Go for it.
Legality has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:09 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
No legal issues. If your lucky, you might even sell it before you put it up for sale, which will save you 6% realtor fees.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys! A few things Im concerned about...

1. Do I need any contract in place before advertising it?

2. If I sell to a buyer who has an agent, will it cost any realtor fees?

3. What is the downside of doing this? Why are sellers not doing this already?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
As an owner, you can advertise whenever you wish. However, a real estate agent will generally not be able to advertise your property unless they have a signed listing agreement. Don't sign a listing agreement until you are ready to sell--if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighpowers View Post
You will not owe any fees unless you have a written agreement to pay them. Usually, a buyer agent's fees are negotiated when an offer is made.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
1. Do I need any contract in place before advertising it?
Contract with who? There is no contract yet. The buyer will present you with a contract. Bring it to a lawyer to review before accepting.

Quote:
Depends on what the contract says. Since you cant really mortgage realtor fees, it would be in your best interest to accept a higher price for the house and simply pay the buyers agent. Works out the same.

Quote:
3. What is the downside of doing this? Why are sellers not doing this already?
People hire realtors to find buyers. If you live in a HOT area, and can handle the transaction yourself, with the help of a lawyer, you dont need a realtor. Most people do not live in HOT areas and are not capable of handling transactions like this, thus they hire a realtor.

When you dont know how to do something, you hire a professional, just like anything else in life.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Its legal to advertise it for sale. However once you sign a contract with a buyer then you must agree to the terms of the contract. So don't enter into a contract until youre ready to move, unless you specify a delayed closing date in your contract, which likely the other party wont agree to. BTW its not "legal vs illegal" its contract law. You can be sued for breaking a contract but that doesn't mean its "illegal." Illegal is generally a term used for criminal law.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
jackmichigan is right -- at least, he would be around here. As the owner of the property, you can manage the advertising and sale of your own home any way you please. Agents, on the other hand, have some constraints -- many MLS's require that the agent register a listing with their MLS within a short period of time of taking a listing.

Four months is a pretty long lead-time, and who knows what the market will be like, then. You may find yourself in the position of having someone want to buy it RIGHT NOW -- are you prepared for that? Would you sell for a slightly lesser price if you didn't have to make all those improvements/repairs?

As far as paying an agent's fees -- that's completely up to you. You can make it clear that you will not be paying agent fees now -- don't sign anything with any agent, if that's the case, not even a "permission to show property". Make sure, nicely but firmly, that any agent understands that. Many FSBO's offer agents 1-3% for bringing a buyer, but it's not required -- at that point, the agent could go after their buyer for a finders fee, but that's not your problem. When you get around to actually putting your house on the market, you may want to reconsider, as it may open up the pool of people who are exposed to your home on the market. Having an agent refuse to bring a client does not prevent the client from somehow finding you and contacting you separately, though. The client and the agent will have to work that out amongst themselves -- if you don't have any agreement with the agent, then the agent has to look out for themselves.

Basically, though -- if you aren't ready to move, and your home isn't ready to be seen to its best advantage, it may not be worth the trouble of opening yourself up to a barrage of agents (and there will be LOTS of them) clamoring to represent you at this point. Around here, you'd probably get 8-10 calls a day from agents wanting you to list with them instead of going FSBO. Plus, four months is a LONG time in real estate -- people who might want to move at the first of the year have plenty of time to look at what's out there, and while you might have someone very interested, some other shiny new house may catch their attention in the meantime. There's also time for a possible buyer to go through the whole cycle of "buyers remorse" before they even BUY your house -- and then walk away. Also, if someone is looking for tax considerations for 2014, they may not want to wait until January to buy a home.

A final consideration: If you have a buyer now, unless it's an all-cash deal, they won't be able to lock in their interest rate/financing for four months, which means that they will probably postpone making their mortgage application. So, then your home is off the market while they wait to make a mortgage application -- and you don't even know if the house will appraise, or if the qualify for a mortgage. Just a thought.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Wow, amazing amount of knowledge and willingness to share here. Thanks everyone.

dblackga - how do I stop agents from contacting me? Do FSBO's get harrassed?

So, to confirm:

1. The property is not for sale, but will be advertised that it is coming available soon. I do not need any contract or legal document to do so, I do not need to pay an attorney, and I do not need a seller or buyers agent. Basically I can advertise it today without doing anything else.

2. Is this the same for every state in the US?

3. If I get contacted by a buyer directly I can negotiate and sell to them. At what point do I need to get an attorney involved? Do I need to then advertise it for sale?

4. If I get contacted by a buyers agent I can offer a 1-3% commission if I want. Do I have to offer a commission?

5. An agent cannot advertise a property that is coming available. Until they have a signed listing agreement.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:42 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
dblackga - how do I stop agents from contacting me? Do FSBO's get harrassed?
Difficult. You COULD put "No agent calls, please" on any advertisement, but there are some persistent ones that will ignore it. Judicious use of voice mail suggested.

Quote:
1. The property is not for sale, but will be advertised that it is coming available soon. I do not need any contract or legal document to do so, I do not need to pay an attorney, and I do not need a seller or buyers agent. Basically I can advertise it today without doing anything else.
"Coming soon" works for up to a month -- honestly, "coming soon" in four months is too long. But hey, your house -- your plan. Advertise it any way you wish. (This is assuming that you ARE the owner of the property, and it's not deeded to someone else, etc.)

Quote:
2. Is this the same for every state in the US?
Your house, your plan. Can't speak for every state, but I am not aware of any state that restricts a homeowner from selling their own home themselves.

Quote:
3. If I get contacted by a buyer directly I can negotiate and sell to them. At what point do I need to get an attorney involved? Do I need to then advertise it for sale?
A couple of things: You will probably want to contact an attorney before the house goes up for sale. Have the attorney prepare a contract that is customary in your state, for use when you decide to sell the house. Have attorney review the contract before all parties sign it.

Quote:
4. If I get contacted by a buyers agent I can offer a 1-3% commission if I want. Do I have to offer a commission?
No, you don't have to offer a commission. But what happens if you are asking $200,000, and someone with an agent offers you $204,000, with $4,000 to the agent -- a 2% commission. Would you do it? Why or why not?

Quote:
5. An agent cannot advertise a property that is coming available. Until they have a signed listing agreement.
If you don't plan to use an agent, it's irrelevant. In most (if not all) states, an agent cannot list a property without a listing agreement.

I will observe that, if someone is this unsure about how to sell a house, they might be well-advised to use an agent to manage the process. Depending on your state, it may be relatively straightforward, or impossibly byzantine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate