Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:52 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Perhaps someone who is paying a large amount of money via a real estate commission for an agent to manage the selling process feels like they don't want to do the agent's work just because you wanted to approach them directly.

As for the ones not for sale, I would also close to door in your face if you tried to approach me uninvited to tell me you wanted to buy my house. It's one thing to send or drop off a letter, but your unwanted interest in my home in no way obligates me to have anything to do with you.
You missed the part when I said I called the seller's realtor and she didn't answer. Hence why I went directly. I would want to know why my realtor wasn't returning phone calls from prospective buyers. When the seller's realtor spoke to my husband he told her that he was not yet working with an agent. She was eager to show him the house I guess with the thought that she could keep all the commission.
My realtor was trying to convince us to accept a lower offer when we sold our house. Talked up the buyer's qualification and readiness to buy.

The two higher offers that i subsequently recieved came directly to my house to speak to me because my realtor wouldn't get back to them in a timely manner. Found out my realtor wanted the lower offer buyer because she negotiated a higher commission split for herself. The buyers agent was a novice.

I negotiated full asking and above asking directly with the buyers. I professionally told the realtor I was dissatisfied with her services. I paid her commission on the lower price she negotiated and not what I ultimately sold for.

I wouldn't chase away a buyer or leave money on the table without finding out why the buyer had to come to me directly.

Side note: we purchased a house through the realtor we used to sell. We were not the highest bid but she made sure we got it because she didn't have to split the commision. Not because you are paying a realtor it is not a foregone conclusion that they have your best interest at heart.

We bought 2 homes and sold one with the same realtor in a space of 4 years. Yet she was trying to have us loose money so that she could make a few thousand more dollars for herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 PM

466 posts, read 643,854 times
OP here. Wow, I'd forgotten all about this thread, along with the incident.

To those telling me not to be so offended, please read my initial post more carefully. I was not offended, but annoyed about the inconvenience. There is a difference. And that is a risk you take when you go solicit door-to-door.

My main point was wondering if that's the best tactic to sell yourself. You're basically screaming that you need to drum up new business, and that you're not that busy. And of questionable professionalism. I would not hire such a person. But that's me.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:43 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I was driving by an open house when curiosity led me inside. I immediately fell in love. I called my husband and told him that we had to sell our house in order to buy this house. I was naively confident about our ability to sell. Well two weeks later the dream house was under contract. I was so sad.
I went to 4 other homes in my targeted neighborhood armed with beautiful postcards, introduced myself, listing why I wanted to buy their house and that I am not an investor. 3 were not on the market. Of these three, one was so obnoxious they wouldn't even let me express my interest. I specifically wanted a Tudor or a colonial in a particular area.
The owner of the one that was actually on the market (and the exact style of my first love house) was super upset that I had the nerve to come to her house and that I did not go though her realtor to request a showing. The realtor didn't return two of my calls. When the realtor finally picked up she said the house was unavailable( I told her I was the one who went to the house).
My husband, unbeknownst to me, called the realtor about an hour earlier to request a showing because I was so enamored with the house . The realtor set up an appointment. Well I promptly told him to forget about it because the seller sounded so over the top sensitive and realtor unprofessional.
We put our house on the market one week later after this 'run in'. Ours located two blocks over, less desirable style of house and smaller square footage but beautifully staged and tastefully renovated.
We had 3 offers within a week. One slightly below asking, but at the same price of Ms Offended, one full price and one above asking price.
We closed at asking (cash). We didn't want to go chasing after more because we were unsure the house would appraise for a mortgage as it was being sold higher than larger homes presently being sold. Our realtor and every other non buyer had said our house was priced high. 6 months later Ms. Offended's home was still for sale.
Two years later, the obnoxious owner's house was sold in a short sale for 150k less than I was willing to pay.

Don't be so offended by people coming to your house. If you are not interested don't open the door or firmly say no if you do.
If you actually came to my house and told me you wanted to buy and it wasn't on the market, I'd close the door on you. I have received letters in the mail from people who want my house. I always throw them away. If I wanted to sell my house, it would be listed with a realtor and you'd have to deal with them not me.

My next door neighbor came over last week and said he wanted to buy our house for his in-laws. I just looked at him like he had 8 heads. It's not for sale! Basically, he doesn't like us as neighbors. His wife is a super stuck up I'm better than everyone snot and we're beneath them. We've ruined the neighborhood according to them. Why? Because we don't spray toxic chemicals on our lawn every week nor do we mow our lawn every 2-3 days. He can go suck donkey balls for all I care.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:47 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
I knocked because 2 of the homes looked slightly run down ( and they fit the style of house I was looking for). This is an indicator that the person can't afford the upkeep or just doesn't want to invest anymore because they may be possibly moving. It was a community with a few elderly folks who had lived there for over 30 years. I figured someone may have been at that point that they maybe considering a move to a smaller home in a warmer local.

Except the one that was obnoxious that was later sold in a shortsale , they were all retired folks.

As a New Yorker I maybe a little more brash and bold in going for something thing that is of interest to me. Investors do it and it seems to work.
A house that needs a little work doesn't mean people can't afford the upkeep not does it mean they may possibly be moving. Our house is 70 years old and has wooden siding that was poorly maintained for years. The paint has started to chip off. It was painted to sell it when we bought it 4 years ago. We're letting the paint chip off because we're ripping off all of the siding this summer and putting on new siding!

I'm also from New York and that doesn't make every New Yorker brash and bold. It means you're rude and obnoxious. Investors get doors slammed in their face all the time! They just don't post about it.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
It irritates me too. I live in a master planned community with a sign at the entrance that clearly states "No Solicitation." But people do it all the time anyway. But a Realtor marketing himself as familiar with the community should know that policy and respect it. I have also received phone calls - and we are on the Do Not Call list. It's annoying.

The mailings don't bother me because they are much less intrusive.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
The owner of the one that was actually on the market (and the exact style of my first love house) was super upset that I had the nerve to come to her house and that I did not go though her realtor to request a showing. The realtor didn't return two of my calls. When the realtor finally picked up she said the house was unavailable( I told her I was the one who went to the house).
My husband, unbeknownst to me, called the realtor about an hour earlier to request a showing because I was so enamored with the house . The realtor set up an appointment. Well I promptly told him to forget about it because the seller sounded so over the top sensitive and realtor unprofessional.
We put our house on the market one week later after this 'run in'. Ours located two blocks over, less desirable style of house and smaller square footage but beautifully staged and tastefully renovated.
We had 3 offers within a week. One slightly below asking, but at the same price of Ms Offended, one full price and one above asking price.
We closed at asking (cash). We didn't want to go chasing after more because we were unsure the house would appraise for a mortgage as it was being sold higher than larger homes presently being sold. Our realtor and every other non buyer had said our house was priced high. 6 months later Ms. Offended's home was still for sale.
Two years later, the obnoxious owner's house was sold in a short sale for 150k less than I was willing to pay.

Don't be so offended by people coming to your house. If you are not interested don't open the door or firmly say no if you do.
Honestly, if my house were listed with a Realtor and someone contacted me personally, I'd be upset too. It's completely unprofessional and inconsiderate. I hired a Realtor for a reason.

When our last house was listed, we had another Realtor calling us personally to make an offer on our house. He left a message. I called back and left a very nice message for him requesting he submit any offers to our Realtor. He persisted in trying to talk to me and tell me why is offer was so good, why his buyers were perfect, etc. It ticked me off enough that I refused to sell the house to him, and told him so. We sold it a week later for cash and more than the offer he made.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,831 times
Anyone in sales know that it is absolutely necessary to make cold calls. Its part of the game. For every 5 rejects there is always 1 prospect and that prospect commission is worth the try...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate