Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
just tells me by action alone that she does not have two IQ points to rub together
hahaha, love that saying !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
If an agent ever knocks on my door, first thing I'm saying is "What about sliding scale commissions?"

Old 09-11-2014, 02:30 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlena View Post
.seriously...is there any brokerage firm that will actually say "hey agent here is a property go sell it or here is a buyer find them a house? or do i practically walk around in the dark questioning why i ever decided to make this my career and feel completely alone
A job handed to me on a silver platter? Where do I sign up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Not only is that unprofessional but it would guarantee that I would never do business with them or the firm they were affiliated with. And I would have said so to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'd save his info so I never hired him or his agency in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Very annoying and intrusive way to try to get business. It would backfire with me, and he/she would be the last person I would call.

Think of it this way. The door knocker is just trying to increase his chance of finding business.

You would have never hired him anyway, saved info or not. So it really doesn't make a difference.
The probability of your hiring this specific door knocking agent without his knocking on your door is like winning the Powerball. Well actually, it's much better, more like 1/1500 chance, but still feels like an impossibility.
But by knocking on doors, he has increased his chances of winning with someone.

Some people like to say- "don't find me, I'll find you." But with 1000's of agents in town, I bet you $1Mil you won't find me if I don't find you first. Wanna take my challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
the point I was trying to make is that if I were looking for a realtor, I would not pick this one. It reeks of desperation.
So how would you pick your agent? Based on who spends the most money sending postcards to your house? Isn't this desperation too?
It's usually the agent who has his face plastered all over yard signs who easily gets more business.
Who's going to give the little guy a chance? Who even KNOWS the little guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Today I had someone knock on my door trying to sell me Hardy siding and then later a Jehovah's Witness. Who are these people that still think door knocking is effective?
The people who can't create clients out of thin air without starving first.
The hardy salesguy only needs to find one guy with rotted siding to put food on his table this month.

You guys who have been in the RE biz for years need to think back to your rookie year and empathize with these agents who are trying to get a sale.

Sometimes you guys talk like it's so easy to get ranked #1 on Google, or to get thumbs up the butt on Facebook, and listings will just rain on your head magically.

My dad gets annoyed by every little thing.
I don't want to be like him, so at the start of the day, I yawn, and take a chill pill, and acknowledge that everyone needs to make a living, and some things are just not worth wasting your energy to get annoyed about.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
I have had a real estate agent come to our door just to leave his card. He was very polite, and didn't waste my time. As I do hope to sell in next year or two I did have some questions, and did keep his card. Obviously he knows the area somewhat, which is one of the things I'm looking for. Generally I do hate when people come to my door, but in this instance I was fine with it.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:27 PM

Would you be less annoyed if a door knocker opened with-

"Hi there. I'm Joe. Do you have a minute, or is this a bad time?"

Old 09-11-2014, 07:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Some people like to say- "don't find me, I'll find you." But with 1000's of agents in town, I bet you $1Mil you won't find me if I don't find you first. Wanna take my challenge?

So how would you pick your agent? Based on who spends the most money sending postcards to your house? Isn't this desperation too?
It's usually the agent who has his face plastered all over yard signs who easily gets more business.
Who's going to give the little guy a chance? Who even KNOWS the little guy?

The people who can't create clients out of thin air without starving first.
The hardy salesguy only needs to find one guy with rotted siding to put food on his table this month.
What makes you think I want to find you?

When I have sold my houses in the past, I purposely went with the top 3 agents in the area. Guess what? Houses sold when the economy was in the toilet and no one was buying.

Nope. I don't go with people who send postcards. I do my research and find out who the top seller sin the area are. I go with one of them. Sorry, but when I need my house sold, I need it sold. Those people have been in the business long a time. I don't have time for the little guy to figure out how to sell a house in my neighborhood. I also won't hire you if you can't tell me what the correct style of my house is. Many agents have no clue about styles of architecture or anything about houses.

If you're family is starving, sales jobs aren't for you!

Plenty of people have rotten siding. Doesn't mean they're going to go with a door to door salesman. They also need money and would want to do some research before agreeing to spend $50K. No way on earth I would EVER buy siding or windows from some random guy who showed up at my house without an appointment! Heck, I didn't buy them through the Home Depot sales guy and I had an appointment with him. No way I would have spent $10 on 8 windows like he was demanding us to do. Did it myself for less than $2K.

Many areas also have laws against solicitation. You need to apply for a permit and pay for it. The police do background checks as well. In many communities especially those with HOA's, solicitations are not allowed. That was the perk of living with an HOA....the only one I can think of.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What makes you think I want to find you?

When I have sold my houses in the past, I purposely went with the top 3 agents in the area. Guess what? Houses sold when the economy was in the toilet and no one was buying.
Well that's good for you.

Did your listing agent bring the buyer? or did a buyer's agent bring the buyer?
If it was the latter, did that make you believe your listing agent had special skills, or did he merely PRICE it appropriately? There's always a buyer for the right price, whatever the economy.
When my local economy was in the toilet, investors snapped up all the properties.

And here's another one to think about-
If one of the top 3 agents knocked on your door because he identified you as someone who was likely to sell (even before you seriously considered selling), would you hire him?

Or would your annoyance of having your day interrupted make you cross this top agent off your list?

A top 3 agent in my town recently door knocked a seller whose previous agent overpriced and failed to sell the house. This door knocker scored the subsequent listing contract.

Another one- Marty Rodriguez, a Century 21 mega top producer here in socal, started her career cold calling and door knocking, and still cold calls and has her team door knock. I bet she still personally doorknocks coveted homes she's trying to score.

It's a salesperson's job to go out and find business, not wait for it passively.
Fortunately, they won't starve to death if they don't get a client like you. "On to the next one!" is the response.

Last edited by oh come on!; 09-12-2014 at 12:47 AM..

Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Well that's good for you.

Did your listing agent bring the buyer? or did a buyer's agent bring the buyer?
If it was the latter, did that make you believe your listing agent had special skills, or did he merely PRICE it appropriately? There's always a buyer for the right price, whatever the economy.
When my local economy was in the toilet, investors snapped up all the properties.

And here's another one to think about-
If one of the top 3 agents knocked on your door because he identified you as someone who was likely to sell (even before you seriously considered selling), would you hire him?

Or would your annoyance of having your day interrupted make you cross this top agent off your list?

A top 3 agent in my town recently door knocked a seller whose previous agent overpriced and failed to sell the house. This door knocker scored the subsequent listing contract.

Another one- Marty Rodriguez, a Century 21 mega top producer here in socal, started her career cold calling and door knocking, and still cold calls and has her team door knock. I bet she still personally doorknocks coveted homes she's trying to score.

It's a salesperson's job to go out and find business, not wait for it passively.
Fortunately, they won't starve to death if they don't get a client like you. "On to the next one!" is the response.
While it is a salesperson's need to acquire a book of business, that is not a consumer's need, and confusing self-centered attitudes and practices with consumer need often leads to unacceptable behaviors on the part of salespeople. There are lines to cross, or not to cross.

Hang out at divorce court, or outside family law offices, for a target-rich house listing environment?
Maybe not....

Hang out at birthing centers to meet growing families who may need to move up?
Maybe not...

Hang out at funeral homes after selectively reading obituaries of people who died peacefully at home?
Maybe not....

Intrude unannounced and uninvited on a homeowner's quiet enjoyment of their home?
Maybe not...

The whole "Top Agent," "Top 3," "Mega-agent" baloney is so totally over-blown by consumers already.

If that "Top Agent" was such a self-centered jerk that she/he knocked on my door when I was trying to nap after a night of not feeling well, or was so self-centered to wake a fussy baby, they would make the "Top 3" list all right.
"Top 3" of jerks to avoid.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If that "Top Agent" was such a self-centered jerk that she/he knocked on my door when I was trying to nap after a night of not feeling well, or was so self-centered to wake a fussy baby, they would make the "Top 3" list all right.
"Top 3" of jerks to avoid.
I agree..
What ever happened to the letter or postcard that says a realtor would be glad to help them buy or sell ??

Old 09-14-2014, 01:45 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
I am a new real estate agent and am considering doing the following - and I would love your thoughts. It's door knocking, but not to directly drum up business per se.

I want to make a neighborhood booklet for my specific neighborhood and had it out to the home owners (free of charge). I want to go to local businesses and sell some ad space to them within the booklet to pay for the booklet costs (publishing, etc). Of course my name and contact information will be on it. But I do not plan on talking about real estate when I go door knock in the neighborhood. Just wear my name badge, and ask if they would like a flyer that has information and phone numbers for businesses in the area.

I am not selling anything, and the homeowner would be getting a nicely printed booklet of good information regarding our local community and neighborhood. I live in a master planned community that is still being built out. And we have a lot of people who have moved here from out of state. I think this would be a good way to help my fellow neighbors, but at the same time get my name out there as a realtor. This idea was presented to me by a very successful business coach.

Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate