Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:23 PM

466 posts, read 643,446 times

Advertisements

A real estate agent came to our door this weekend to introduce himself, in case we're thinking of selling. He was going door-to-door to every house in the neighborhood.

I was annoyed. I hate door-to-door solicitations of any kind. I feel any agent worth his/her salt should have other ways of drumming up business.

I have never seen this before. Has this happened to you? What would you think?

(By the way, we're not planning to sell for another decade, or two.)

Last edited by Ninotchka P; 09-05-2014 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
While he's at it, he might as well drag along a vacuum cleaner and a batch of magazine subscriptions. But I still don't think he'll drum up much business that way.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:11 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
great way to garner a bad reputation and discourage business unless you are just really good at making people laugh.. most people do not want to be disturbed at home by random folks, whether it be Jehovahs witnesses or realtors.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:03 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Depends on the area. Let's face it, people are offended by everything these days. Postcards? "How DARE you waste a tree on this!" Email? "How DARE invade my privacy via e-mail?" Direct letter? "How DARE you waste your time sending me mail! Take my name off your list!" Phone call? "DON'T CALL ME!" (why not get on the Do Not Call list, already).

So, someone knocking on your door in a neighborhood that is not posted as "no solicitng" and says, "Good morning, I'm Andy Agent. I'm representing a buyer who is very interested in this neighborhood and wondered if you had considered selling your home?" infuriates you? Fine. Be infuriated. If you were the buyer, you would adore an agent willing to go door knocking to find you a house. It is impossible to avoid offending anyone these days -- if an agent worried about it, they wouldn't do anything. But you know? In a neighborhood of $500,000 houses, we ended up with four listings in two month just by knocking on doors. So apparently, not everyone is offended. It was part of a concerted marketing campaign that also included direct mail and other advertsing.

Perhaps you could expand on those other forms of marketing "any agent worth their salt" could engage in that you approve of. I guarantee you, no matter what you dream up, there will be someone mortally offended by it.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:47 AM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Depends on the area. Let's face it, people are offended by everything these days. Postcards? "How DARE you waste a tree on this!" Email? "How DARE invade my privacy via e-mail?" Direct letter? "How DARE you waste your time sending me mail! Take my name off your list!" Phone call? "DON'T CALL ME!" (why not get on the Do Not Call list, already).
I really don't understand some peoples reactions. You don't want the email? Delete it. You don't want the postcard? Throw it away. I recently had an envelope returned to me unopened. The people saw a real estate office for the return address and assumed it was junk mail. They put it in an envelope and mailed it back to me, I guess to make a point that they were not interested. If they had taken the time to open it, they would have found a $200 check for work they did on a property we manage. All I could do was shake my head.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:59 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Intruding at someone's front door uninvited and unscheduled is quite different from an email or postcard.

I hate spam, i.e., "Email Marketing," and won't do it to others, but at least I can choose to look at my email when I want to.
I do postcards by the hundreds, rationalizing that people can collect their mail on their own schedule. And, they can recycle them, if desired.

But, door knocking and telemarketing are immediate demands to intrude into the person's life.
Neither is acceptable social or professional behavior, IMO, unless certain specific guidelines are followed.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I wonder how much time we all spend out of our lives throwing away junk mail, deleting telemarketers, deleting spam, watching TV commercials, etc

Old 09-06-2014, 06:38 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
I really don't understand some peoples reactions. You don't want the email? Delete it. You don't want the postcard? Throw it away. I recently had an envelope returned to me unopened. The people saw a real estate office for the return address and assumed it was junk mail. They put it in an envelope and mailed it back to me, I guess to make a point that they were not interested. If they had taken the time to open it, they would have found a $200 check for work they did on a property we manage. All I could do was shake my head.
Talk about passive agressive. They used an envelope and a stamp and had to go at least to their mailbox to show their lack of interest. Yet they'll work for your company. I might be tempted to contact them to say we are happy to receive your check back in the mail and since you did not indicate otherwise we have donated the amount to soandso.

We had a guy come to our business to offer his services. He had heard about us through word of mouth from colleagues in the same profession and went out of his way to come. He spoke with me, gave me his card. Nice guy. He seemed like he was very happy to find suitable additional alternatives for his work in the economic downturn.

When we needed his business, I called. Got his wife. Immediately, she was mean and snippy, surly and condescending, saying "We would never do that". "My husband would never work there". I said, then why did he come right in here, talk to me and give me his card? "I don't know but he doesn't do that."

A little while later, the husband called and apologized and said his wife didn't know what business we were. I did tell him she was extremely rude. He was very nice but his wife was rude or perhaps had some illness.

This to say, perhaps one spouse sent back you check while the other didn't even know about it.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 AM

9 posts, read 10,526 times
I recently got my license, activated it and got my MLX lots of money invested.. I signed on with a brokerage that supposedly has one of the best training's out there but all they have told me is to send out cards and call my family..seriously...is there any brokerage firm that will actually say "hey agent here is a property go sell it or here is a buyer find them a house? or do i practically walk around in the dark questioning why i ever decided to make this my career and feel completely alone

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Relax.
Smoke a J. (We can do that here in Colorado)
There are worse things in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate