Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 05:52 PM

625 posts, read 952,600 times

Advertisements

Are any of you lifelong renters who have never purchased any real estate property (house, townhouse, or condo)? Why did you decide to not purchase a home? Do you have any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 07:04 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
An interesting question. Not me, but I knew some people who did this. Some single people but also some families.

For the single people I know it is more of an economic thing for the women and also a desire not to need to do too many home repairs themselves. For the single men, more of an easier living thing.

For the families, all nice middle class people, they had 2,3,4 children. Kids did great in school. Parents just wanted to concentrate on family and work for dad. I guess if mom worked to afford the house, life would not be as they wanted in these particular families. They were calm people. And some of them went and still go away to family at the beach or in the mountains for the entire summer to reconnect and have the cousins continue to grow together. It's like they have two separate homes they can easily leave. They love having someone to call with any problem. "Life has enough problems", one woman says.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:15 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
Present!

I've lived a semi-nomadic life. I never thought I would stay put long enough to purchase a place. In the last 11 years I have lived in 7 cities in 2 states plus Puerto Rico.

No regrets.

I am planning on moving to WY in the spring/summer of 2015 and buying a home with acreage before December. My inner cowboy is eager to come out

Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Couple more people I forgot about. One is female, working very hard, extra contracts, etc. so that she can save enough and have good enough retirement funds to then live in her dream city. Hardly ever home for years and just no point in the responsibilites of homeownership now that kids are grown and on their own.

Another has been through bankruptcy and the fears and horrors of just being on the brink of losing her home and then all the move took...unloading items, etc. She, a middle aged woman, resolved to never have more than she and friends could carry in a few trips, never any single item weighing more than she could lift or drag herself. Therefore, not much clutter.

Both of these stress that it would be very different, though, with the wrong rental...the wrong house/condo or the wrong owner/manager. Both rent from the owner who is sophisticated in rentals, keeps them up fabulously, and works hard to keep tenants happy.

Both of these are in houses...two floors, one apt each floor and both these women say they get the feel of a house just enough to satisfy them.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
So far.

Been living in apartments, dorms, ships my entire adult life except for layovers at a family house.

But I do have land build and am slowly moving to having a house and moving out of apartments.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:04 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
by the time i hit an age of maturity to buy one we were in the bubble and i did not buy when it burst as i was going through health problems. now back to price levels where i question how much they could really appreciate from here... i watch and go to open houses and educate myself with no rush to buy... People are too willing to overpay and then work overtime just to get by... im not gonna fall for that...

we seem to be in this dreamlike state with the economy now where everything is sort of eerily stable.. overinflated stock market keeps roaring higher meanwhile real economic growth is tepid and government spending is still very high. if we collapse again it will take massive government spending to the tune of 2+ trillion yearly debt to stablize things....

Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 AM

119 posts, read 147,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
by the time i hit an age of maturity to buy one we were in the bubble and i did not buy when it burst as i was going through health problems. now back to price levels where i question how much they could really appreciate from here... i watch and go to open houses and educate myself with no rush to buy... People are too willing to overpay and then work overtime just to get by... im not gonna fall for that...

we seem to be in this dreamlike state with the economy now where everything is sort of eerily stable.. overinflated stock market keeps roaring higher meanwhile real economic growth is tepid and government spending is still very high. if we collapse again it will take massive government spending to the tune of 2+ trillion yearly debt to stablize things....

what area you in? the national average for appreciation is 3%. In my city my property appreciated 7% each year for the last two years. bout to sell this one and move onto the next city!

Old 09-12-2014, 06:54 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
town im in has tight housing.. college town. for years one could not get an apartment but a lot of apartments have gone up the last 5-7 years.

that has helped but new jobs from businesses like bel brands press on housing demand. Housing has been strong and stable here and the town also has limited areas to expand due to flood zones located everywhere but north. Kind of a flat swampy unattractive cold place for a town actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate