Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:45 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,803,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Could it be a cult?
cult
kəlt/Submit
noun
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

synonyms: sect, denomination, group, movement, church, persuasion, body, faction

a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

synonyms: obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for, idolization of, devotion to, worship of, veneration of

I dont see anything in that definition on moving into a neighborhood and buying houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:54 PM

35,352 posts, read 20,714,667 times
the cult thing is possible -the area is very well established with few homes on the market, but every area in the USA got hit- so there were some foreclosures in this particular division. My co workers cousin lives in the area for yrs it's a nice local neighborhood. If i remember right - they buying n selling. but it is easy to check- history of property,,, just wondered about he non profit deal and unless they weirdos looking to kill things etc -which is not what I want to live near--it doesn't matter to me. Freedom for all.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,803,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the cult thing is possible -the area is very well established with few homes on the market, but every area in the USA got hit- so there were some foreclosures in this particular division. My co workers cousin lives in the area for yrs it's a nice local neighborhood. If i remember right - they buying n selling. but it is easy to check- history of property,,, just wondered about he non profit deal and unless they weirdos looking to kill things etc -which is not what I want to live near--it doesn't matter to me. Freedom for all.
Then ask your co workers cousin if they are good neighbors and move in.

I doubt they will come hounding on your door. Its better than having who knows who next door partying 24/7 or a revolving door of neighbors. Im sure they watch who they sell to.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 46,558 times
Flipping houses is a fad right now. They buy the property, put some cheap repairs in and then throw it back on the market. They likely will raise your home value by doing this!

Just make sure they're selling them and leaving. If not, get the heck outta there!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:47 AM

the question was about he non-profit part ,,, don't they profit by flipping? Are they making money they shouldn't be? Are the home taxes the same for non profit as the rest of us? Just wondering.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,585,620 times
Quote:
the question was about he non-profit part ,,, don't they profit by flipping? Are they making money they shouldn't be? Are the home taxes the same for non profit as the rest of us? Just wondering.
What kind of "religious group' is it? Is it an actual church?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:19 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,553,066 times
How do you know it's a religious group? Does it say a church name on their title when you do your research on the properties?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:12 PM

44 posts, read 116,917 times
Quote:
Just because they are making a profit does not mean they are a for-profit entity.

As long as the money is going back into running the organization, funding its programs or mission, or going to another not-for-profit there isn't really an issue. For-profit is run for the financial benefit of the owners or shareholders.

Just because they are a non-profit entity doesn't mean they can't make a profit and turn around and use those assets to fund the organization.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 PM

if you check the state-website it is a non profit corp under religious whatever- I see no church per say attached to the name so maybe 3 cats for a local church decided to open up a corp.. just wondering about legality. I know churches have owned properties -I guess maybe they can if moneys go back into a church?

Old 09-12-2014, 04:26 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,055,042 times
What's your real concern?
The makeup of the neighborhood or the possible tax evasion of a non-profit ostensibly making money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate