Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 AM

163 posts, read 270,145 times

Advertisements

Here is the deal.

My mortgage is $1,250 (just went up $100.00 due to taxes)

My brother and his friend live there.

My brother pays $600.00 (works on yard, my car, family, etc)
His friend pays $700.00
Total of $1,300 a month.

For info sake, I can rent it out for $1,700 a month but I would have to deal with renters who don't take care of my house. My brother does so it's worth it to let them pay less.

The house is 3 bed 2 bath. I thought about the idea of moving in with them and in turn, lowering their rent.

I wanted you all to give your opinions on if I'm being ridiculous or what...

My thought was..

My friend would pay $500.00 (generally impossible to find a place in this area for $500.00/Room
And my brother would pay $400.00 leaving me with $350.00 to cover the mortgage.

Is that fair?

Or should it be split 3 ways?

Thank you for answering only if you own a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
No way would I wreck that arrangement by moving in. They are actually paying the rent AND keeping the place up? Too sweet to mess with. JMHO YMMV

Old 09-18-2014, 11:05 AM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
I think it would depend on the living arrangements. When I had roommates the person in the master bedroom paid more than the smaller rooms.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:13 AM

CCC girl, I hear you, but if I move in I would save $1,000 a month!

SVT Lightning- Ironically, neither of them wanted the master so they left it empty. My brothers friend does use it as his main bathroom though.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:14 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
What would happen to the bsthroom situation if you took over the master?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What would happen to the bsthroom situation if you took over the master?
A few years back, I lived with my tenants and they shared the 2nd bathroom that my brother now uses. Basically the guest bathroom by the living room. And I used the master since I slept in the master.

He would have to be okay with that. I plan on discussing all of this with him but wanted to see if I'm out of line with the numbers before asking

Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,803,601 times
I'm with CCC , but here is another way to look at it, you are leaving $400 on the table a month, that is buying your peace of mind. Is that worth $5000 a year?

So you want to move in with your friend and kick out his friend?

As far as fair, it doesn't matter, you paid a down payment, it is on your credit, it is how you want to spread it?

I don't know if you've followed the tax rules, how long you want to keep the house, when how long you've lived there, but there can be tax consequences by moving back.

Have you though about just renting it out for $1700, buying a new 4br place for you, your bother and each of your friends and rent out the rooms. Then just pay him to work on your rental if something comes up?

I made the mistake of not selling when I should have.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:25 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
A few years back, I lived with my tenants and they shared the 2nd bathroom that my brother now uses. Basically the guest bathroom by the living room. And I used the master since I slept in the master.

He would have to be okay with that. I plan on discussing all of this with him but wanted to see if I'm out of line with the numbers before asking
Great Attitude, btw - as long as what you meant was "discussing it with them". As a homeowner, I think the rent reductions you are offering make sense, though BOTH are losing a private bathroom as that they will have to share. You are reducing EACH for the same amount - $200/month. That's logical to me.

As far as tax consequences go, I'm gonna bet that you have not been reporting the rental income and this home was purchased as your primary residence. Somewhere along the way, you left and have been renting. If I am accurate about that, there are no tax consequences (unless IRS found out about the unreported rental income, but that's a whole different kettle of worms).

Other than that, I can't figure out what TheLopez is talking about.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,803,601 times
If the OP reported income , if they move back in, if they sell in the future thinking they'll get to take the $250k tax free, they'll find themselves paying taxes. But that is a lot of if.

Last edited by thelopez2; 09-18-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
I don't see why you're basing the rent on your mortgage payment. (Okay, so you want to give them a break for being good tenants.) Another way to consider would be to split $1,700/month three ways...perhaps allowing a slight adjustment given the particular living arrangements of each. You could put your "extra" payment into a special bank account that you set aside for maintenance and repairs. Certainly you're going to need some repairs in the future, so creating a special bank account for that might give you the discipline to plan ahead.

Of course, anything you do needs to be by mutual agreement--unless you just want to kick one or both of them out (under the terms of any rental agreement that is in place).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate