Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good luck to the new owners. Can you imagine the "move out" effect? All those holes in the wall. Every wall will have to be spackled and repainted.
Exactly what I was thinking!! GAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
That's old-time Italian style along the Gulf Coast. I saw several homes like that in New Orleans.
The last time I saw a house with that much clutter, there was a dead body lain out in it.

New Orleans socialite ‘attends’ her own wake | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 03:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Gosh, can you imagine how long it would take to clean that house.........with all that stuff?!?!?!?!?!?
Having just downsized a "normal" home and moved, that was exactly my first thought. I can't imagine clearing that out, much less wonder where they are moving all of to, unless those "wonderful" chandlers and drapes all convey.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:50 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
I have to say that despite all the clutter, the place does look clean.

As for those mentioning that stuffed animals on the stairs could be a liability---I think they mean that someone viewing the house could trip over the stuffed animal and get injured. It seems to me that when preparing the house for showing, it's best to make sure that there aren't any obstacles in the paths.

It's too bad that some people can't get past the decor when looking at homes but I've read that in a house like that, people have a hard time imagining their belongings in the place. As for me, I would be focusing on how well the house was kept more than I would on the decor.

Still---all those plants in the front and backyard would put me off simply because I'm not into gardening as I have a brown thumb. Yet, someone else who enjoys gardening just might find the landscaping to be a plus.

And, yes, that baby photo over the mantle has to go---that's creepy

Also, I noticed that in the listing by the price there was a downward pointing arrow. Doesn't that mean that the seller had to drop the price? If they are in a rush to sell, they should be doing all they can to market it well.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM

58 posts, read 104,394 times
The back yard looks a pain to maintain with the garden, pool, gazebo and jacuzzi. The house itself looked good and would probably look bigger without all the clutter and half naked photos-grandson?

I don't think I could actually walk though that house-just looking at the photos gave me claustrophobia.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
An agent can't force his or her client to de-clutter or stage a home properly. But they can proofread the listings they write so they aren't rife with grammar and spelling errors, making their clients look like knuckleheads. That's one of my pet peeves about real estate listings. My two favorite errors in home descriptions are faux painting spelled "foe painting" and wrought iron spelled as "rot iron." I've seen both of those absurd mistakes multiple times in more than one city. Don't these Realtors have someone else at their brokerage who can tell them to shape up?

Old 09-17-2014, 05:42 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My two favorite errors in home descriptions are faux painting spelled "foe painting" and wrought iron spelled as "rot iron."
Well, if they have paintings of enemies...and the fence is rusted through...they could be correct descriptions.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The picture of the baby over the fireplace is just creepy to me, I'd get a spooked feeling about that room and I'm not a fussy buyer. The rest of it is a bit overdone, especially the BIG stuffed animals everywhere. But it is a cute house hiding under all that, I think, anyway. Be a lot of work to maintain that yard, though. That's a drawback, IMHO, some people may like it that way. They have a jacuzzi under one gazebo which is why two gazebos, I guess.

Had they taken everything out of the house for the pictures, though, it would also still look strange. They've added a lot of architectural elements that will stay with the house (such as the huge medallion above the dining table, the decorative brackets in the doorways, etc.) so if they didn't have all the "decor" around, the architectural elements would look very odd.

We're currently in the middle of buying a house for more money in worse shape and it still has "stuff" in it that the sellers aren't removing, too. Oh well, I suppose location makes a huge difference.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Yep, the pictures are creepy. Some very tacky stuff there and quite overwhelming. I've learned that all that stuff can hide a LOT. If I considered signing, I'd make them take all that stuff down so I could see what's underneath. It is a really nice house. Needs the holes patched, the writing on the walls covered and a nice paint job.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:21 PM

222 posts, read 238,924 times
Holy Cow, that's 125K house? In my neck of the wood that house would be close to a mil.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Holy Pier 1 Batman!! I think they have everything Pier 1 has EVER sold. YIKES! So few buyers will be able to look past all that stuff. It makes the rooms look soooo tiny because they are stuffed to the gills.

And those freaking photos in the monster frames. OH MY WORD! What's with naked guy not to mention creepy fireplace baby? Pretty sure they would make me walk out.

And they landscaping needs some serious therapy...or a landscape architect. One does not need at least one of every plant sold at Lowe's.

Just wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate