Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,505,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
This is a little off-topic, but it reminds ms of a hotel I called I once while looking for a hotel on Tybee Island, GA. The lady gave me the rate and then said "I need to tell you that if you make a reservation and then change your mind about staying here when you arrive just because of the way the hotel looks, you cannot get your money back". What??? Is that a big problem for her?

Needless to say, I stayed elsewhere, but drove by the hotel while I was there so too what it was like. Oh, geez...it was awful. I would have slept in my car first.
Er, nudge, nudge, "tripadvisor.com"!

Was it Sky Suites by chance. TA rates them 9/10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 04:30 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,272,018 times
It seems like the rear photo might be because of how rustic the fence is in front. The rear actually looks a little better than the front. And the concern about people convincing the person not to buy it might be because of how close the houses are to each other. The agent might be horrified at that closeness, and might assume anyone who takes the agent's time looking at the house is going to be persuaded by friends and relatives that the houses are too close together. So the agent is probably trying to somehow get prospects who would buy it even when the agent would never dream of buying such a house. And getting those prospects without showing the house to large numbers of people who are only looking, and would never buy it, or if they did decide to buy it, would be persuaded not to. But the agent's efforts are probably counterproductive, because of everyone being curious about what's wrong with the house, and wasting the agent's time.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,391,222 times
So the roof leaks... My imagination takes me to an alcoholic couple who are divorcing and fighting over who gets the house. One doesn't want to sell and the other does. It's just odd.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,814,820 times
Speaking as an agent with decades in the real estate business, and the rest of my career in retail and corporate life, and having been involved in many advertising pitches, I understand what the agent is doing with such a statement. All he/she is doing, is trying to get people's attention. I has worked as it has the OP thinking about the home.

It is not a reflection on the home, neighborhood, etc. It is an attention grabbing sentence. Nothing else.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,754,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Hmmmmm. That is curious indeed! I'd be very interested in knowing the backstory on that as well.
I think it's just a pitch to draw attention.

I made the mistake of clicking on the link. I don't think a bit of recherché writing is going to help. That house really puts the UGG in ugly, doesn't it?

YIKES!!!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,255,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You don't find it strange that the first sentence of the listing is telling people not to let someone talk them out of buying this house? That seems very odd to me!
This is very strange but maybe it's a "stigma" house and locals know the story. That's what hit me.

FWIW, I think the second sentence is very weird too, it would be 100% better to highlight the amenities, and then tell them to talk to their broker about seeing it - NOT making an offer....bizarre!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:13 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,304,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Yep, the old "Frontloader" design. It's the only thing you see. I think it is a fine starter home. I don't like the $115 per month for HOA fees, that seems rather high.
No, that's the back of the house. The garage faces an alley.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:08 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,885,218 times
Maybe it's about the previous owners being murdered in their sleep or abducted by aliens. Not to worry, that only recurs 60 percent of the time.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,272,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
First line of the listing description

Listing https://www.redfin.com/CO/Denver/223.../home/34031706

As far as I can see, there's nothing wrong with it although I may do a drive by just out of curiosity.

I can only speculate that there was a buyer who got talked out of it by a family member or someone?? But really, Listing Agent? That's your lead sentence that you think is going to attract a buyer?? But then again, I may have overly high expectations for an agent who thinks that the garage is the most attractive feature of the house and makes it the main photo.

Here's my 2 cents--if you ask me, the front of the house looks terrible. What is up with that fence and dead grass? What I think might be the deterrent is that there is no back yard. Where do the kids play? Most families want a nice backyard for their kids or to relax or entertain.

Not too long ago I was considering a transfer to Tampa. While looking at homes, I came across many newly built gorgeous homes but what I found odd was that the front of the homes looked very much like the back of this house. The front doors were off to the side and set back so the focus of the house was on the garage. I think they're trying to show the "best" outside feature, which to me in this case, is the garage.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,662,370 times
Okay, I know what it is. It's a Trelora thing. The same couple of sentences start the listings through Trelora that I have come upon. Seems like there is a reputation or a fear on the part of agents regarding how much commission they will make and, therefore, a certain amount of "steering away".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate