Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So who manages the projects? Who manages clubhouse reservations and repairs? Who oversees the landscapers, takes care of the trees, deals with drainage issues, makes sure the pool meets code, gets bids and oversees the work of contractors fixing the siding, replacing the roofs, collects the dues, pays the invoices...
Committees. And they report to the board, and the board reports to the owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 08:19 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Committees. And they report to the board, and the board reports to the owners.
You have a committee that collects dues, pays invoices, handles collection when homeowners don't pay?

Old 09-20-2014, 10:05 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
You have a committee that collects dues, pays invoices, handles collection when homeowners don't pay?
I've lived in 2 HOAs that did that. It is quite common where condos aren't that popular and there aren't a lot of management companies around.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:23 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Wow! That volunteers will devote this much time and energy over decades is just amazing to me.

Accounting alone for a 400+ community with a pool, clubhouse, grounds, etc., can involve 40+ hours a month. I'm amazed.

Congratulations.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Wow! That volunteers will devote this much time and energy over decades is just amazing to me.

Accounting alone for a 400+ community with a pool, clubhouse, grounds, etc., can involve 40+ hours a month. I'm amazed.

Congratulations.
Absolutely. My wife is on our HOA board and they have a PMC and she is always sending emails, going to look at whatever issues etc. Place runs pretty smoothly. And the members on this board are pretty level headed people. Nobody is a power hungry board nazi. But juggling work, kids etc and HOA duty with no PMC man that's a tall order. That's a pretty good group of people if they can self manage. Most people couldn't manage to stand in a line to go to the rr without someone arguing about who got there first.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Usually there's a system in place, so it's not like they have to start from scratch. Unit 407 needs the collection letter, print one up and send it out. Far different cry from having to write one, check the legalities, do the other stuff.

I don't live in a condo, but I work at them. And we own our own business. I handle all the paperwork and invoicing and payments and it's maybe 2 hours a month. We use quickbooks. I'm sure they could use that too.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:36 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
HOA's are governed by state law. Look up the laws in your state. In California where I live, it's the Davis-Stirling Common Interest Development Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Your state has similar laws, find them, research them.
One law is that HOA's must hold public meetings at minimum on a quarterly basis. All homeowners must be notified when and where meeting are to be held in advance. If your HOA doesn't do that, they are in violation of the law.
Periodic election of officers is also required. Run for office, make the rules. Too many HOA dwellers don't want to get involved, they would rather complain when things don't go right.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:03 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I'm the Treasurer of my board. Nobody can guard the books legally. lol An owner can always request financials. Do you have a reserve account? Exterior is covered by HOA so they should be fixing these things. If talking doesn't result in any changes than go to the state.

By law a condo association has to have an Annual meeting and meet quorum. The also have to have a budget meeting. If they are not doing this, then they are not operating in the eyes of the state.
I agree on the required Annual Meeting with a financial statement presented. You do not need to meet quorum. You only need to meet quorum to vote.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:15 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Thought I'd check in since I don't want to be "that guy on C-D" who throws out a topic only to be never heard from again.
Most of the points broached are well taken (and previously thought of.) I have gained some nuggets of knowledge, and for that I'm grateful!
Fate, in the way that only fate can do, has since played its hand and moved all other condo business into the background. One of the "kids" in the building was hit by a car the other day and is now fighting for his life. It would be worse than cold on my part to try and call a meeting at this point in time. Everybody in the house is shaken up from this having happened.
In defense of the keeper of the books, though it may seem I'm defending her too much already, she has agreed that each of the owners needs to find a time so that we can all go to the bank and convert to an online account for the sake of transparency. It's definitely occurred to me that I may be the only trustee staying current with their condo fees. And it would be a huge weight off me (if not everyone) to be able to gain access to direct deposits and monthly statements.

I got the full "Ice Bucket Challenge" effect from having somebody post that I'm trusting the well-being of the place where I live to a person I'm loath to trust with the well-being of my cats. That's the beauty of reaching out beyond neighbors, friends, and family to garner truly neutral opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate