Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times

Advertisements

You may want to consider what could happen if someone brakes something in your home. Take the following true story as an example.

A husband and wife, out enjoying a round of golf, were about to tee off on the third hole, which was lined with beautiful homes. The wife hit her shot and the ball began to slice - her shot was headed directly at a very large plate glass window. Much to her surprise, the ball smashed through the window and shattered it into a million pieces. They felt compelled to see what damage was done and drove off to see what happened. When they peeked inside the house, they found no one there. The husband called out and no one answered. Upon further investigation, they saw a small gentleman sitting on the couch with a turban on his head.
The wife asked the man, "Do you live here?"
"No, someone just hit a ball through the window, knocked over the vase you see there, freeing me from that little bottle. I am so grateful!" he answered.
The husband asked, "Are you a genie?"
"Oh, why, yes I am. In fact, I am so grateful I will grant you two wishes, and the third I will keep for myself," the man replied.
The husband and wife agreed on two wishes - one was for a scratch handicap for the husband, to which the wife readily agreed. The other was for an income of $1,000,000 per year forever.
The genie nodded his head and said, "Done!"
The genie now said, "For my wish, I would like to have my way with your wife. I have not been with a woman for many years, and after all, I made you a scratch golfer and a millionaire."
The husband and wife agreed.
After the genie and wife were finished, the genie asked the wife, "How long have you been married?"
To which she responded, "Three years."
The genie then asked, "How old is your husband?"
To which she replied, "31 years old."
The genie then asked, "And how long has he believed in this genie crap?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,103,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Be ready to have people rummaging through your back yard looking for their golf ball. Also, be ready for broken windows and damage to your roof (depending on shingle style), because fact is, majority of the people who play golf royally suck at playing golf.
and damage to car windshields.

My son had replacement windshield coverage on his car but the insurance company cancelled it because he was going through so many windshields.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:31 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,938,895 times
Although there's potential negatives that many have pointed out above me already... there's plenty of positives that come of it as well. I grew up more than half my life living in a golf course community and within site of the 2nd and 3rd holes of our golf course.

- Your own private pitch and putt. I'd go out late evenings almost everyday during spring, summer, fall to practice my short game. After a certain time there's nobody on the golf course... as long as you don't damage anything or disturb anyone... practice at your leisure.

- Not all homes are build ontop of the golf holes. Yes... there's risks with having your house overlook a golf hole with potential shots being hit at your house, and people searching your yard area looking for your ball. When you build/buy that house in the place... you should know this... that's on you. Others mentioned noise from golf carts... hey... if you're like me and love the game.. I loved nothing more then hearing the sound of golf carts even early in the AM. Always made me want to get out there!

- Plenty of free balls! Our golf course was surrounded by woods and wetlands... bring on the hackers. My dad and I would go out many evenings and fine hundreds upon hundreds of balls. Thank you 30 handicapper for those brand new ProV1's you just took out of the box and placed into my pocket! I'd clean up the balls and sell 15 for $5 to local members and we made a killing.

- Great way to meet close friends and get involved with the community. I loved knowing everyone... and playing in all the various tournaments and going to clubhouse events in our restaurant. We had a great community...

- Odds are that your neighbors have the same interest.... GOLF! :-)

So many more I'm probably missing... but a basic rundown of how it has its benefits as well!... depending on where you are of course.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 AM

Beware of flying golf balls...

Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,666,358 times
I would think being the most dangerous thing living near a golf course would be flying golf balls that can hit you in the head.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I would think being the most dangerous thing living near a golf course would be flying golf balls that can hit you in the head.
Both of them....

Old 10-02-2014, 06:40 PM

440 posts, read 868,889 times
I live on a course -get a lot of golf balls-I have an amazing green belt view-no one comes in my backyard -most stray balls happen after business mens Friday lunches…99% of the players are courteous and respect your property-haven't had anything broken as yet although my neighbor had a plant pot broken to which the golfer reimbursed him on the spot..I have plenty of privacy and no problems at all..plus we get to hit and putt any evening we like by simply walking out my back gate…I have more trouble with armadillos than golf balls!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,502,756 times
#1 - Do you play golf?
#2 - do you want to play the same course for the next X years?
#3 - Do you want to watch people play golf 20 yards from you back deck?
#4 - Are you prepared to pay a premium to live neat the course?
#5 - Are you OK with being hit by golf balls?

Seriously, this is a pretty bipolar discussion, if you have to ask it probably isn't for you....

Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times
we have a beautiful 36 hole course with homes along the fairways in our city. Our kids school is next to it. My kids are kind of jealous because the school is across the street from the gated community and they have their own gate to walk to the school from. My wife and I would love to live there. We have been actually using design ideas from some of the homes as a way to remodel our home. Lucky us we know a dozen or so families that live there and have been invited in for parties. The course is actually a city course so all can play. It is my wifes, "Someday I want to live there", kind of place. LOL

Old 10-04-2014, 08:26 AM

79 posts, read 153,542 times
I bought a GC condo about a year after a 28 yo GC shut down. I paid 22K, the guy next door had paid 152K, less than two years earlier. It's now an I-Hop, Auto Zone, Car Wash, Circle K, and an LA Fitness. The rest of it will eventually be 1000 multi-family housing units. I had owned there 10 years earlier, at the other end of the course. Always tensions between the course and homeowners. Trespassers used it as a cut-through, and a family outing to feed the ducks at the ponds. My only broken window was done by an employee of the course, who did not take responsibility for his horrendous shot. A neighbor caught one off a pavement bounce that put a very large welt on his forehead.

Here is what is left of the clubhouse, that overlooked a pond, and the elevated 18th green.
Attached Thumbnails
News, What to Consider Before Buying a House on a Golf Course-golfcourse.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate