Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

it takes balls to buy a house on a golf course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 10:11 AM

11,120 posts, read 9,756,639 times
We got 'em...lots of them.

If you are a golfer, it's pretty easy to figure out which way, and how far, the balls are likely to fly and avoid buying houses that put you in the line of fire. Of course there is always the possibility of a freak accident, but the same could be said for a house near a main street or a park. Golfers are responsible for damage that they cause, and if I was at home when a ball caused damage, you can bet I'd be out there to identify the person ASAP. It has just never been a problem in our community to my knowledge.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I also never wanted a home on a golf course and never play golf. But I bought a home on a golf course because it was a great deal and met all other requirements. Lived there a few years and sold it. Made a very nice profit on that home. Still don't care about golf. Never played a game of golf in my life.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:07 PM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i never played golf either. the whole concept of it's the balls that go in the hole and the club stays out is just foreign to me.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i never played golf either. the whole concept of it's the balls that go in the hole and the club stays out is just foreign to me.
Took me a few in my tired and dreary state to get what you were laying down. I probably wouldn't have been this tired but I was practicing putting the club in the hole all night long.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I like golf. I have not played in a long long time but still think it is fun. My brother in law plays a couple days a week. Many of the guys that I work with play often. Personally I have other places to put my money than paying for the right to hit balls around and try to drop them in a hole. Maybe when the kids are older and out of school. It seems that our money goes to keeping up with their events at this time. Between Taikwondo, tournaments, the elementary school, middle school, and high school activities i am a bit tapped out. Greens' fees will kill you.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 AM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
I love living on a golf course, just now I was watching a foursome putt out from my keeping room. But you do need the right golf course property.

Houses even with the tee box don't have to worry about balls being hit into the houses. Houses close to the green on a hole where laying up is the best option also are pretty safe from errant balls.

It's better to be on the side of the fairway away from the cart path, as you don't hear the hum of the carts all day.

The golf course adds green space to your views. Sometimes lots of green space. Some courses allow walking the cart paths on the days the course is closed, which means one day a week you have a fabulous running path.

My house sits next to the tee box of a par 3 hole. The green is below my house, surrounded by a lake. I've never had a ball hit my house, and have yet to find one in my yard. But I do wake up to the most wonderful views of the lake and pristine green.

In this neighborhood, golf course fronting houses sell for 10% to 20% more than similar houses backing to another house's lot.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:36 AM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Be ready to have people rummaging through your back yard looking for their golf ball. Also, be ready for broken windows and damage to your roof (depending on shingle style), because fact is, majority of the people who play golf royally suck at playing golf.
It depends on where your house sits from the back yard and the golf course's greens. We've lived in a house with a golf course behind us for well over 10 years and not once did we encounter a broken window. Now, golfers looking for their [golf] balls in the back yard . One of us kids standing on it, "nope, haven't seen it". That didn't happen all the time though. Sometimes we would actually help them look. Just depended on the way they asked us.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 AM

263 posts, read 410,892 times
Folks,

I am completely clueless about golf and would really appreciate advice on this golf course property we are considering. The backyard faces the golf course and I am wondering how much ball traffic this property gets? We have a young son and would not want a place that is potentially dangerous with flying balls.

I am linking to 3 pics at different magnifications that shows the property (circled) in relation to the golf course and the country club (also circeld in first pic). The MLS description does not say where the property is in relation to fairways, etc, and I myself have no idea about golf course layout. We are interested in the home is because of the great views.

Thanks for reading!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trq90hlt0f...09.37.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8stpmbc48l...09.35.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8op3ds6397...11.34.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by MovingtoDFW; 10-15-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 AM

492 posts, read 638,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
Folks,

I am completely clueless about golf and would really appreciate advice on this golf course property we are considering. The backyard faces the golf course and I am wondering how much ball traffic this property gets? We have a young son and would not want a place that is potentially dangerous with flying balls.

I am linking to 3 pics at different magnifications that shows the property (circled) in relation to the golf course and the country club (also circeld in first pic). The MLS description does not say where the property is in relation to fairways, etc, and I myself have no idea about golf course layout. We are interested in the home is because of the great views.

Thanks for reading!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trq90hlt0f...09.37.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8stpmbc48l...09.35.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8op3ds6397...11.34.jpg?dl=0
From your pictures, your potential house is in the middle of a hole on the inside of a dog leg left. I can't tell how long that hole is, but from the placement of the sand trap, I'd guess most golfers hit their tee shot about even with that house.

The bad news: the straight line from the tee box to the green is between the sand trap and that house. A long ball hitter going for the green that hooks the ball will hit into the yards of the houses. That said, the sand trap is there to entice the golfers to hit away from the houses, so that should be relatively rare.

The good news: the cart path is on the other side of the fairway from the house. You won't hear carts and conversations from the back yard of the house.

Is that a public course? If so you will see lots of traffic, and lots of bad golfers, and it would be more likely to get balls in your back yard. If it's a private or semi private there are less golfers, and less really bad golfers, so there is less chance their balls will be in your yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate