Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

There are about 29 million people who play golf in the United States. So it’s probably no surprise that more and more Americans are opting to live a stone’s throw away from enjoying their favorite leisure activity.

The first golf communities appeared in Florida and the Carolinas more than two decades ago. Eventually, they spread across the Sun Belt and beyond. Today, it’s not uncommon to find golf communities throughout the northern states as well.

What to Consider Before Buying a House on a Golf Course - Erie Insurance
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:06 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
All good information but one major issue is what guarantees are there that the golf course will always be there?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:27 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
All good information but one major issue is what guarantees are there that the golf course will always be there?
Good point. There are a whole bunch of homeowners near me who found the answer to that question is: There aren't any. And now instead of a golf course, their backyards overlook a hospital, brightly lit and audibly humming 24/7.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Be ready to have people rummaging through your back yard looking for their golf ball. Also, be ready for broken windows and damage to your roof (depending on shingle style), because fact is, majority of the people who play golf royally suck at playing golf.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM

15 posts, read 34,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Be ready to have people rummaging through your back yard looking for their golf ball. Also, be ready for broken windows and damage to your roof (depending on shingle style), because fact is, majority of the people who play golf royally suck at playing golf.
Great point!

I would also add that the homeowner would be responsible for broken windows or screen repairs. If you have children or pets, you might not be able to use your backyard for them because flying golf balls are simply dangerous (assuming you are near or between holes).

Besides that there are strict restrictions regarding what you can and cannot do on your backyard (for example, fences might be prohibited if facing golf course).

Simple noise from golf carts early in the morning will not be something you are looking for if you are not early bird (on weekends for example!).

And chemicals that are used for the grass is something I personally wouldn't like to be exposed to.

Golf course inside community is OK as long as you are not facing it from your backyard

Old 10-02-2014, 09:11 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryFL View Post
Great point!

I would also add that the homeowner would be responsible for broken windows or screen repairs. If you have children or pets, you might not be able to use your backyard for them because flying golf balls are simply dangerous (assuming you are near or between holes).

Besides that there are strict restrictions regarding what you can and cannot do on your backyard (for example, fences might be prohibited if facing golf course).

Simple noise from golf carts early in the morning will not be something you are looking for if you are not early bird (on weekends for example!).

And chemicals that are used for the grass is something I personally wouldn't like to be exposed to.

Golf course inside community is OK as long as you are not facing it from your backyard
Our friends have told us the same thing. They can't build a fence, Broken windows. Roof damage. Walk out in your pajamas at dawn with a cup of coffee and you may be face to face with a gaggle of slack-jawed strangers.

The plus side is that you have this gorgeous, well-maintained backyard. However, you can't go for a stroll without risking someone coming up on a golf cart and telling you to beat it. There are rules, you know.

Since you have to go to the clubhouse to start a round of golf, I'm not sure that even golfers benefit from being on the course.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:18 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
That said, apparently there are some great deals to be had with homes on golf courses. I seems they were overbuilt with the expectation that retirees would be flocking to golf course communities.

Alas, today's retirees are interested in kayaking, working, traveling.... in general have wider interests than past retirees.

And those with families find it hard to squeeze four hour golf games into busy lives.

Fore! Golf Course Homes Are on the Downswing | The Fiscal Times

If your golf course sponsors tournaments be prepared for groups of strangers standing on your lawn for days on end.

All in all, I can see why there are good deals available. All of the above would get old in a hurry.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
BINGO

I agree, but rummaging through back yards can easily be prevented with a good fence. Typically, back yards have wrought iron fences next to the golf course. Hard to climb. I play golf and don't think I've ever seen a golfer climb over a fence. You will lose your privacy of course. But the views can be great.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
BINGO

I agree, but rummaging through back yards can easily be prevented with a good fence. Typically, back yards have wrought iron fences next to the golf course. Hard to climb. I play golf and don't think I've ever seen a golfer climb over a fence. You will lose your privacy of course. But the views can be great.
In a lot of the non-private golf courses in Florida that I've played, the houses all have open back yards and the HOA prevents them from building a fence.

Also, even with a small fence (like a picket fence or an iron fence as you mentioned), people will just hop over it to get their ball. A lot of golfers are jackholes and the only rules they care about are the golf rules. This might be different on the private, more expensive courses.

On a side note...

One time, I actually had to yell at a group of kids because they were running out onto the fairway and picking up people's golf balls and then running back into their yard and into their house. I'm not talking about balls that landed in their yard. I'm talking about good shots that landed in the middle of the fairway.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:08 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
One time, I actually had to yell at a group of kids because they were running out onto the fairway and picking up people's golf balls and then running back into their yard and into their house. I'm not talking about balls that landed in their yard. I'm talking about good shots that landed in the middle of the fairway.
Now THAT'S a good form of exercise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate