Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,497 times

Advertisements

My parents signed the managing contract with property management company on November 2010. At these 4years we always unhappy with their services and always have gas top or sink or wash machine and so on to fix. But during this four years my family and I always out of country. So we don't have time to fire the company.

But on August 1 we came back to city. And called manager to tell him our expected rental for next one-year lease tenancy is $3000

On August 21,2014, I called Manager to tell him I want to move my furniture to my property, and He told me he already had an agreement with the new tenant for a year lease tenancy from August 15 2014, and he reduced the rent from $3000 to $2700 without noticing me.​

On August 27,2014, I mailed the registered letter of terminate property management agreement. According to section 8 of the Contract Act, in addition to the provision in paragraph 7; either party shall have the right at any time to terminate this Agreement by 30 days written notice to the other party.

On August 28,2014, Manager called me to asking me to pay one year of management fee if I still insist on terminating the managing contract (Which is not indicated in our agreement). And I will only accept to pay the management fee of first month and an amount equal to half of one month's rent as rent up fee.

On September 23 I called manager I want to end my contract and he said he want to speak with my lawyer instead of me

On September 27 I ask him to get a notice to tenant that I want to access to my property for half hour because I didn't go to my property since we had contract with them (November 2010) He promised me he will arrange a time between sep 29- October 3. But I didn't get any reply after this called.

On October 3. I sent an registered mail to company said I want to terminate my contract and notice tenant I will take over the tendency lease and give me a call after received the letter to make an appointment at office.

On October 6. I still hadn't received any of reply from them so I went to their office want to discuss and find the best way to solve the matter but he still want to talk to my lawyer instead of me and refused to give me any of records or flies about my rental property. And he called police to ask me to leave How can I get my keys back? Can I represent myself? Can I still sell this property if I go to law against him? help!Appreciate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:58 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
You're not having much luck dealing with this without a real estate attorney...so get an attorney.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
I agree. Time to get an attorney.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
Company has had a great deal for it for years, don't want to give it up. Agree with other posters, get an attorney. A letter threatening a lawsuit plus damages and attorney fees may well get his attention. Also, file a complaint with the state real estate commission. He has violated the terms of the contract.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:21 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
Company has had a great deal for it for years, don't want to give it up. Agree with other posters, get an attorney. A letter threatening a lawsuit plus damages and attorney fees may well get his attention. Also, file a complaint with the state real estate commission. He has violated the terms of the contract.

This^^^^
And get a lawyer ASAP.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:32 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Get an attorney. Have a copy of your agreement where it should be noted how much flexibility the management company has to decide on your rent reduction, etc. As has been said, sometimes it just takes a letter from an attorney on that attorney's letterhead to scare a company into doing the right thing.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:20 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy life View Post
My parents signed the managing contract with property management company on November 2010. At these 4years we always unhappy with their services and always have gas top or sink or wash machine and so on to fix. But during this four years my family and I always out of country. So we don't have time to fire the company.

But on August 1 we came back to city. And called manager to tell him our expected rental for next one-year lease tenancy is $3000
In the property management company's defense, on a $3000/month rental, there is going to be a lot of upkeep. You should expect there to be a reasonable number of repairs. If you let the property go without doing the repairs, you have to expect the rent to decrease for subsequent tenants. People don't want to pay premium rent for a property that isn't maintained.

Also, I assume that the current tenant's lease says that it was entered into by the property manager on your behalf. Therefore, you would have to honor that lease for its duration, even if you cancel the agreement with the property manager. If you sell the property, you would be selling it with the lease in place, and the new owner would also have to honor the terms of the lease until it is done. For a large, nice house, this is a big negative. Most people who are going to buy a half million dollar house, are buying it to live in (unless the house is in NYC or LA, or someone other large, expensive city where a half million dollar house is a small 3 bedroom 2 bath starter home), and they don't want to buy it with a tenant in place.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Since your parents signed the contract, it could be that your parents have to request the termination of the contract. Unless, you have power of attorney to act on their behalf.

Agree with others. Talk to an attorney.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:19 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Since your parents signed the contract, it could be that your parents have to request the termination of the contract. Unless, you have power of attorney to act on their behalf.

Agree with others. Talk to an attorney.
This makes the most sense ... except, your first stop should be to read the terms and conditions of the Property Management agreement that your parents signed. Even a direct signer contract cannot get out of a contract by simply sending a registered letter, ... with no penalties or compensation (It doesn't sound like your name is on the agreement(?)). Further, since the agreement is probably written by the PM company, it's quite likely that its conditions clearly favor them. That's why they want to talk with your parent's attorney instead of you.

Even if you have a legal power of attorney for your parent's affairs, you may still need to contact an attorney to establish the conditions necessary for your still living parents to be released from their contractual obligation to the PM company -

Last edited by jghorton; 10-09-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
My one year lease is up and we are now on month to month. I am moving out and want off the lease agreement. They told me we'd both have to move out in order for my name to be taken off, however, if I don't then I am still responsible for the rent, even though my roommate is on the lease as well. How can I accomplish this. She's not just my roommate, but my soon to be ex. She is still going to be living in the house. I just want out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate