Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 AM

5 posts, read 18,395 times

Advertisements

Hi, after reading some of the threads about tax consequences on a rental property I'm wondering if I should move back into my modest home again before I sell it.

I bought the home in 2006 and lived in it for 5 years - until 2011. I had to move out and rent it because I lost my job. I've been renting it out for 3 years now - the rent doesn't even cover my mortgage!!

Will I be better off, tax wise, if I move back into my home before I sell it? Based on what I've read it seems like this is the case but I'd like to hear some feed back. Does the fact that I lived in my home originally for 5 years help if I need to sell it while renters are in there?

I don't own any other homes - I've actually been living with my sister because the new job I found is a much lesser salary.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
You have to have lived there two out of the last five years in order to not pay taxes on the profit. Is there going to be a profit?

Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 AM

Hi, yes but it will be very small - I paid way too much for it when I bought it.

I lived there from 2009 through 2011 so if I sell this year, I won't have to pay taxes on the profit, correct? Do you mean capital gains tax?

I don't see being able to sell it this year and I'm still renting it. Would it be better to move back in and then wait a couple years to sell it at this point?

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvivhor View Post
Hi, yes but it will be very small - I paid way too much for it when I bought it.

I lived there from 2009 through 2011 so if I sell this year, I won't have to pay taxes on the profit, correct? Do you mean capital gains tax?

I don't see being able to sell it this year and I'm still renting it. Would it be better to move back in and then wait a couple years to sell it at this point?

Thanks for your input!
If you move back into it you will end up paying some taxes on the CG when you sell. You have to decide for yourself if it is worth it. No one knows what the future holds. You'll probably want to sell before you have it a rental for 36 month. If you want a rental still, sell it and buy another rental unit. After you sell you'll contemplate what should I buy then realize it might be a bad investment and just keep your profit tax free.

You'll get less money selling your house with renters inside.

Why can't you see selling it soon?

Old 10-10-2014, 11:59 AM

Hi,

It has been a rental since February 2011 so it has been 36 months already.

I don't see selling it before the end of this year because the renters are still in it.

I never wanted to be in the real estate rental business - I just had to do it when I lost my job. I'm just concerned now about keeping it as a rental in case I have to sell it in the near future. It sounds like I will be paying more taxes to sell my rental home vs. if it is the home I'm living in.

I've never made enough in my rental income to even cover the mortgage - it's all pretty discouraging :-(

Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvivhor View Post

Thanks for your input!

Why don't you move back in and rent out a bedroom to a workoholic type professional. Extra income to cover the home?

Old 10-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Yes Suncc49 - I've thought about that as well - even though the house is just under 1,000 sq feet ;-)

I think even if I could sell it by the end of this year it will be too late to meet the 2 out of 5 year rule to avoid the taxes - from what I've read.

I guess the one good thing - also from what I've been reading - is that my income tax bracket is low so my long term capital gains tax will be lower as well. Please anyone tell me if this is incorrect!

Seems like moving back in is going to have to be the way to go!

Old 10-10-2014, 03:23 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
How much profit are you talking about? I think there is something that takes into consider job loss.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:37 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Are you certain you will have a gain? You may have a loss. If so, from a tax standpoint you want it characterized as rental property rather than your personal residence.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:57 PM

Not sure how much profit it would be yet but certainly won't be what I had hoped for since I paid too much for it in the first place. I guess I should try to figure that out!

Thank you everyone for your responses - very appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate