Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

fire your realtor, find one who knows the market - knows how to take pictures and can accurately price a house. We sold a house in Reno recently for all cash over asking price after it was listed for 2 days -other similar houses were selling for about 25k less and were sitting on the market for about 45 days. Our agent was a genius and a great photographer. She imparted one bit of wisdom about setting a price, she said when people search online for a house they generally set an upper and lower limit (they bracket their price range) so, if you want $350k for your house ask 349k and you will not exclude everyone looking for house under 350k. She said if you overprice your house and have to make repeated reductions it gets harder and harder to find a buyer because most of the buyers already looked at your house and rejected it at the higher price and typically will not come back and look again if the price is lowered, but instead they frequently start to think something major is wrong with the house.

Also, we spent two weeks polishing painting, and de-cluttering. We rented a storage locker and moved about 1/3 of our furniture and belongings into it so that the house would show well. We paid $200 for a landscaping crew to come in and clean up the yard. We bought a few flats of annuals and some black mulch for the planter area around the front of the house.

In the fall the market will get slower and won't pick up again until spring, maybe you should find a renter and give them a 6 month lease or a rent reduction with the stipulation that the house will be up for sale while they are living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:44 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
At the very least,put stainless steel appliances in the kitchen
You're kidding, right?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
At the very least,put stainless steel appliances in the kitchen
And, granite countertops!
And, a farmhouse sink!
Don't forget the subway tiles for the backsplash.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:26 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
And, granite countertops!
And, a farmhouse sink!
Don't forget the subway tiles for the backsplash.
I understand youre being sarcastic, but this kind of thinking which is all to prevalent in buyers boggles my mind.

Putting high end stuff in a tiny house like this is just silly unless you're in some red hot market where people are willing to pay for it or you plan to live there and enjoy it for a really long time.

At the end of the day, it will still be a two bedroom/1 bath house and nothing changes that. A lot of these tiny houses cant be expanded out because of the lot size or up because the existing construction wont support a second story.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:20 PM

398 posts, read 746,684 times
Wow, I didn't know oregon's real estate is so expensive? :O

Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Wow, I didn't know oregon's real estate is so expensive? :O
Not all of it is. Ashland has a Shakespeare Festival, and a small university. It is strongly connected to the California Bay Area, and it highly desired by retirees, so it is one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive, town in the state. Places like LaGrande or Roseburg are MUCH cheaper.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:54 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Lets look at the real problem. Homes in Ashland is a town I know well. Grandparents used to live there, and a son and his wife lived there for quite a while.

I looked up homes in Ashland. I found you are asking $236 per square foot for a 64 year old out of style home in an older area. People can for only $11,000 more buy a modern townhouse with 1361 square feet, and 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths and a nice garage. Price $184 per square feet. Beautifully landscaped, and your yard is a disaster. People that will buy 2 bedroom homes are also buyers for townhouses. Any intelligent buyer would take this over yours at that price, getting a lot more for their money. There are numerous townhouses that are a lot better buy than yours. As I said, buyers for 2 bedroom homes like yours, are excellent buyers for townhouses all cheaper than yours in price offering a lot more, and way less on a per foot price.

A 20 year old home in excellent condition with 1,200 sq. ft 3 bedrooms 2 baths with both a garage and carport at $183 sq. ft. for $4,000 less than yours. It is a manufactured home but in Oregon they are very popular with many subdivisions with just manufactured homes. People would take that home, over yours for the difference in size, and the lower cost per square foot.

You have simply priced your home out of the market, and no one is making offers on it. Size, age, and price per square foot are driving buyers away.

No wonder your home is not selling

Old 10-22-2014, 06:56 AM

297 posts, read 573,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I understand youre being sarcastic, but this kind of thinking which is all to prevalent in buyers boggles my mind.

Putting high end stuff in a tiny house like this is just silly unless you're in some red hot market where people are willing to pay for it or you plan to live there and enjoy it for a really long time.

At the end of the day, it will still be a two bedroom/1 bath house and nothing changes that. A lot of these tiny houses cant be expanded out because of the lot size or up because the existing construction wont support a second story.
+1

My husband and I want to downsize to a small house. When I see "recently remodeled kitchen with stainless steel!!! granite!!!" I think: lipstick on a pig.

Most empty nesters don't give a rat's behind about that stuff. We haven't been brainwashed by HGTV.

However, only one bathroom is a deal killer. Even if I was single, I'd want at least 1.5 bathrooms.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Not all of it is. Ashland has a Shakespeare Festival, and a small university. It is strongly connected to the California Bay Area, and it highly desired by retirees, so it is one of the most expensive, if not the most expensive, town in the state. Places like LaGrande or Roseburg are MUCH cheaper.
yeah, but last time I was in Roseburg it looked like it had been invaded by the walking dead I have never seen so many meth zombies in a small town in my life.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets look at the real problem. Homes in Ashland is a town I know well. Grandparents used to live there, and a son and his wife lived there for quite a while.

Any intelligent buyer would take this over yours at that price, getting a lot more for their money. There are numerous townhouses that are a lot better buy than yours. As I said, buyers for 2 bedroom homes like yours, are excellent buyers for townhouses all cheaper than yours in price offering a lot more, and way less on a per foot price.

No wonder your home is not selling
I would live in a tent before I would buy a townhouse, in my opinion they are not much different than renting an apartment with all the rules and restrictions. Not to mention you need to add the HOA fee to your mortgage payment to make a reasonable comparison. It looks like most townhouses in Ashland in the 200k range have HOA dues of around $250-$300 a month. I hate HOA's! I lived in one in Reno for 14 years, never again..too many HOA nazis driving around trying to find some perceived violation of rules like leaving your trash can out too long or brown spots in your lawn.

Not to mention it doesn't look like the market in Ashland is too hot for townhouses either, I saw a few of them with 20-40k price reductions in the past few months. Maybe the problem is not so much with this house, but with the fact that Ashland had a 'mini-bubble' and prices are now returning to normal. The OP really needs a different RE Agent who understands the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate