Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Thanks for the comments so far. Much appreciated.

Here is the listing.

478 Ray Ln, Ashland, OR 97520 is For Sale - Zillow

It is alone at its price point. The cheapest in town.
As houses go, it's pretty cute. I like the living room. Yes, the back yard could use a little "TLC" but overall the property has tons of potential.

Living in a low cost of living area like I do, this house would sell for about $52,000, so it is really difficult for me to grasp the concept that it would be $200,000 someplace else. It makes me very grateful that I don't live in Oregon.

That being said, if it is line with similar houses then you should be getting appropriate offers. Did your realtor do a comparative market analysis on it? Did he or she suggest a list price or did you just pull yours out of thin air based upon how much you wanted to "make" on the deal?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
With such a small house on a small lot, you should target potential retirees with equity from their current home looking to downsize and live in a nice area. You might consider ads in the papers in both Portland and Seattle under "Homes in other areas" sections. If we sold and wanted to move to Ashland we'd have the cash at that price, and there are many others like us retiring every day. We are considering several locations including Ashland but not for 5-6 years, my wife is hoping for less rain, and you get about half as much there.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Xil

118 posts, read 274,289 times
Everything that everyone has noted would be a turn off for me as well.

The kitchen cabinet handles really bug me. The pictures do give off a really depressing feel. The walls seem dirty, or maybe it's the pic quality; they could really use a wash & some new paint with neutral colors. Paint the fireplace.

The chain link fence says trashy to me. The front & backyards look trashy as well. Ditch the plastic furniture, hoses, dirty laundry line strung b/n the trees, etc. Definitely get rid of all the shrubs & weeds & replace with mulch or grass.

Nowadays, most people don't want to have to do any sort of work on a house, and this house screams work--especially for the price.

As my Realtor once put it, "People want to buy the house on Monday, move in Wednesday, and have the party on Friday."

Old 10-15-2014, 12:45 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Wow is that what houses cost in your area? Im so glad I live in the South! lol. For that price I have a two story brick home with a swimming pool in a good area, close to work, and with close proximity to everything I need! That house here would cost about 50k as another poster mentioned. AND they would ask you to replace the roof.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default You are being defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I will think about how to clean things up. Interestingly, it is getting showings, so the picture haven't been a complete turnoff. It is a modest home, to be sure, and I am no landscape architect.
1. Stop being defensive. You got tons of great advice from others.
2. Get new professional photos. Spend the $200.
3. Talk with a landscape architecture and take lots of notes. Spend the $200.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:59 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What was your realtor's recommended listing price?

I have to say that I also think it's overpriced for the condition.
I have asked a couple of times what was the feedback and what did the realtor say. OP hasn't answered. I think the realtor was telling the OP pretty much what was posted in the thread. OP then took it here to see if the realtor knew what he or shew as talking about.

Sorry OP, I hope it works out for you.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,487 times
Not to be mean but that house looks like trash for 239k, it looks like its in a ghetto.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM

79 posts, read 153,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I'd be really surprised if you could live in a decent neighborhood in Portland for anywhere in the 200s. I live in a small town across the river in WA and even here the smallest and oldest houses in town are in the 200s.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3-31604?row=13

Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
I get the feeling the OP doesn't have a realtor, she's showing us the link on Zillow, not from the MLS. Plus, no realtor worth their salt would have posted those pictures in their listing.

ETA: Sorry, yes, she does have a realtor. I need to make a note not to ever use them.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Wow is that what houses cost in your area? Im so glad I live in the South! lol. For that price I have a two story brick home with a swimming pool in a good area, close to work, and with close proximity to everything I need! That house here would cost about 50k as another poster mentioned. AND they would ask you to replace the roof.
I live in the northeast, and here they would just tear it down, or abandon it. Seriously if you click street view look at how much nicer the other houses look across the street. Obviously the OP is lazy/cheap, and wont spend money on landscaping, or new siding, and windows. Id be pissed if that was my neighbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate