Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 AM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
160 Orange Ave, Ashland, OR 97520 is For Sale - Zillow

look at OP agent's other listing.

he paid for the pro pics.

still looks like a dump though, in high definition
Yeah, clearly OP didn't want to spend the minimal cost for professional photos, which was a huge mistake.
More disturbing to me, however, is that the OP's agent appears to have only sold 3 homes in the past 12 months and 7 in their career (an era spanning since 2010)? Ouch. Why would you pick an agent that hasn't shown any recent and/or long-term success at their job? That's nuts.

To the OP: it looks like you picked a dud of an agent. If you end up looking for a new one, try to pick someone who can demonstrate proven success selling in your neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:59 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
The pictures look horrible and the drive-up appeal is appalling. Remove the jungle growth around the front of the house, declutter the house and retake pictures. You moved out of the area, so the house should be vacant right now. You're doing yourself a disservice by having those pictures of the house. Instead of the updates being showcased, you're highlighting the negatives.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
OP, after a second look, I see that Ashland is a college town.

I didn't know that when I said renting would be a bad choice.

Is your home close to the college and suitable for rental to students? Maybe keeping this property permanently as a student rental makes sense after all.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
I'll echo the sentiments that say the photos make it look like a rental. Some declutteting and new photos would do wonders. I do think too that the zillow zestimate reflects poorly on your price, like it or not.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:16 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Just speaking honestly, your pictures are terrible and present the property as if it's in a dilapidated state. Combined with the price, they make it seem like your property is a run-down house that will need a ton of work to get into a livable state.

Now, that probably isn't the reality, but when the vast majority of people start their search online, the pictures on your listing are hurting you; I'm certain it presents much better in person but you need to get people's feet in the door first, and photos that look like they were taken off of a cell phone aren't helping you at all: they make the outside look small and dingy, the bedrooms look tiny, and the inside not very well-lit.

Look at your competition nearby, especially the listings at 2128 Birchwood Ln, 425 Wightman St, 2343 Abbott Ave and, most especially, 1249 Iowa St. When you compare the photos of those properties to yours, answer honestly which one, as a buyer, you would choose to look at. Spending a couple of hundred dollars for professional photos to be taken would be a worthwhile investment that should drive more traffic to your home.

None of the above comments are meant to bash your house. It's merely pointing out that the presentation of your home is not up to par with your competition, and is likely a strong factor in why it's lingering on the market.
+1. The old adage, "A picture is worth a thousand words," is especially true when it comes to real estate. The fact that your home is a 2/1 will make it tougher to sell than homes with more bedrooms and baths, so it's especially important to get professional photos. Also, I noticed that some of the rooms (the bedrooms especially) had leftover clutter and the backyard looked a little overgrown. If you can get the yard cut and clear out the bedrooms before you have the photos taken, that should help you a lot. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Not saying this is true of the OP on this thread, but speaking of clutter and photos in general, it amazes me how some realtors will photograph a home that is a complete mess. I'm talking beds unmade, toys all over the floor, clothes draped over the furniture. It's as if either the seller or realtor or both could care less.

I've also been to open homes in that shape. I could understand if I'd called for a showing on the spur of the moment. But most open homes are scheduled days in advance. They want to sell their house but can't even put their dirty clothes in the hamper and straighten up the beds. That leaves a buyer with the impression they never did any maintenance on the house.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:39 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

I've also been to open homes in that shape. I could understand if I'd called for a showing on the spur of the moment. But most open homes are scheduled days in advance. They want to sell their house but can't even put their dirty clothes in the hamper and straighten up the beds. That leaves a buyer with the impression they never did any maintenance on the house.
My wife and I went to a house like that when we were house hunting for the first time. Most of the place was OK (garage had random furniture set up in it and reeked of pot...), but we walked down the stairs to the basement, and the entire floor was literally covered in dirty laundry. It looked like a clothes hamper had exploded.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:07 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Before OP lowers the price, (which is probably a good idea as well), just redoing the pics, getting rid of the clutter, and cleaning up the yard should do a lot for the house. I don't suggest putting any major expense into the home, expecially since he/she is paying two mortgages ATM. As for whether or not it's a "starter home," it all depends on the demographic. Since Ashland is a college town, OP should be able to sell the home with some modest changes, IMO. The kitchen is quite dated, however, changing that would cost buckoo bucks. I like the wood laminate flooring. Very nice. Have you gotten an independent appraisal, OP? That would really help you get a realistic price point on the house. Remember, your house is only worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay

Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Like everyone has said, you need better pictures. Stage the house, declutter, create curb appeal. It is a great house, you need to show people this, because most people won't see the forest through the trees.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:33 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I like your house, but it is a bit of a diamond in the rough.

First off- clean up the front landscaping. trim the bushes, trees, and grass.

Then remove all the window coverings. Light and bright! Patch the holes from the rods.

Remove most of the clutter. Box it up and rent a storage facility or stack it in the garage.

Highlight the fireplace, wood floors.

Pay for new photos and get someone who knows lighting.

Clean it till it shines.

Leave the backyard alone except to tidy it. Don't put a lot of money into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate