Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM

756 posts, read 834,185 times

Advertisements

Just wondering:

I am trying to build my credit so I can get mortgage. After a house would be "closed" and ready for me to move in and make monthly mortgage payments,

but what if sometime in the distant future if my credit score drops for whatever reason (too many student loans or whatever) would the mortgage foreclose and I would lose the house and be kicked out of it?

In other words do I have to have perfect or almost perfect credit the entire time I am paying off the mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:07 PM

244 posts, read 667,638 times
You get foreclosed on when you don't pay the mortgage, not when your credit score changes. Although not paying the mortgage and getting foreclosed on would certainly hurt your credit score. We are almost to the point where we can buy again after a foreclosure.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
A drop in your credit score will not cause a foreclosure. A mortgage is a contract. You borrow money and have a contractual obligation to repay it. As long as you continue to pay the payments and follow all the terms of the agreement (keep insurance, maintain the property, pay the taxes, etc) the lender will not foreclose. Even if you run in to trouble financially and your score drops it won't matter. Your credit score is based on several factors with payment history being the largest component. Pay your bills and you will be fine.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
You won't only get foreclosured if you don't pay your mortgage.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:46 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
No, they don't keep checking your credit score and then jerk your loan away if your credit score drops below some magic number. They really don't care how you pay anyone else, as long as THEY are getting paid as agreed. :-)

Old 10-21-2014, 06:16 AM

466 posts, read 643,944 times
I think a HELOC is a different story.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:45 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Some of these answers are trying to confuse the poster, which is mean spirited.

The statement about the mortgage being based on a contract is the true answer. You sign a contract promising to pay for the loan on your house, and if you meet the conditions of the loan (make the payment, pay the taxes, keep it insured), then if your credit rating falls, that will not cause foreclosure.

If you do not make the mortgage payments, then you are in trouble. If you do not pay your property taxes you will potentially lose your property. If you do not pay homeowners association fees (not all properties have hoa) you might lose the house. You must maintian home owners insurance so that if the house is destroyed and you stop making payments the bank can get back some of its investment. But if your credit score falls, no problem.

Since you are thinking ahead to the future, as long as you pay your bills on time and every time, your credit score will continue to get better and better, so just keep this in mind.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
What luv4horses said.

But also"Too many student loans" won't cause your credit score to drop either, UNLESS you don't pay them. Yes, if you take out an excessive amount of credit and loans, it may dip a little bit. But the main thing that counts is paying your bills on time every month. As long as you do that, your score will be ok.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:21 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Nope only if you don't pay your mortgage or property taxes.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:26 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
Nope.

You qualify to GET a loan, after that all that is required to avoid foreclosure is keeping current on the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate