Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:51 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,760,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I like to watch them for entertainment. Plus I like to see how expensive real estate is in SoCal. Makes me feel very fortunate! I think it's funny how they do a lot of the same things over & over. Christina picks those espresso color cabinets for every single kitchen.

I also like Flipping Vegas. I think it comes on A&E. That couple cracks me up. Scott & Amy. At some point in every episode, Scott ends up yelling "this is a dis-AS-ter"!
I confess that I watch these two shows. Flipping Vegas has its moments and Christine is quite the looker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 05:19 PM

146 posts, read 293,810 times
I enjoy watching the show, mostly because I have a crush on Tarek!!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:06 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
As with all of the HGTV reality shows, I go "eh" in terms of believability. I will say this though. Watching that show and other flipping shows makes me resolve myself NOT to buy a flipped home. There was one episode where the home was obviously in a sketchy area and had drug users squatting in it. The home obviously used to be a drug den. Here comes the flip or flop guy (who was actually worried about his safety) and adds granite counters, wood floors, and stainless appliances and voila that dump is now $400k. What's even more incredulous is that someone actually bought it. I would NOT purchase a home that was a former drug den. I wonder if that was disclosed?
whata re you talking about? - a crack house is not usually a flipper material house, and Biggie drug deals are done in the best of neighborhoods.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
whata re you talking about? - a crack house is not usually a flipper material house, and Biggie drug deals are done in the best of neighborhoods.
Well it was in this case. Go search the episode list or something. There were squatters in the home when he first showed up. The squatters were chased off only to return again and stole the contractor's tools. Tarek himself was spooked when the squatters burst out of the home and jumped the fence.

Here does this sound more appropriate - the original owners/tenants of the home lived in squalor (highly likely they were addicts) and had questionable friends.

Like I said, there's no way I'd live in a house that had those issues let alone pay over $400k for it. Lipstick on a pig couldn't be more apt.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:27 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
It is about as realistic as any other flipper show.

They just barely get the house.

They find some sort of issue they didn't expect (add in trouble sounding music or dramatic pause. Then cut to commercial break).

"Tense" moments of whether or not they will blow their budget or get done on time.

Open house participants mirror exact same statements made by the flippers during their renovations choices.
Flipper: "I think this color granite will work nicely with the subway tile."
Open house participant: "Oh my goodness, I love how the color of granite works with the subway tile."

Will it sell?

It sells and they make a butt load of money.

The wife actually bugs me. Yes, she is pretty but I have a thing about mannerisms. She doesn't really do a lot of talking. Does the thoughtful nod and does the side ways look. The movement of her jaw is very controlled like someone that has had a lot of work done. Fake eyelashes, tan, veneers etc.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
house flipping appeals to people's greed and quick buck yearning. very little effort lots of money.
i dont recommend it to anybody. i never sell anything ever. buying paying off leasing and buying another and paying it off, then leasing, the domino effect is my preferred method.
selling??? never.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
I do like Flip or Flop, remember the time he called Mom for her equity line? They seem to do things right, overall and still make a killing.

I really like Flipping Vegas, but some of those shows just seem way far fetched - reptile house, UFO house, etc....

AMY you did another tile wall! Every episode.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 PM

122 posts, read 217,203 times
I doubt it's real. My friend's daughter was on house hunters and it was totally staged. They did buy a house but had already bought it when the show was taped. They just went in and taped the house they bought and went and looked at a few others for the show. Reality tv, I don't think so.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
None of these show are real.. Most aren't even close to being real... I can reno this place in 5 weeks for $75,000.. BS...

Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
None of these show are real.. Most aren't even close to being real... I can reno this place in 5 weeks for $75,000.. BS...
Yeah, this is the thing about all the "flipping" shows that just astonishes me. I can never make the numbers work. The only way they can get all the fluffy custom cabinets and granite and fancy tile and hardwood floors and staging at the prices they quote is with healthy subsidies. Is free labor written into the TV contracts?

A lot of the shows quote profits that are gross rather than net too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate