Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,798 times

Advertisements

In my area, most of the homes are from the 1950-60's. Most have been worked on at some point, and most recently (within the past ten years) it seems.

Would it be crazy to ask for some paperwork about the work done by the contractor or the homeowner themselves? I'd be especially interested in the finished basement work, but other info would be great. Like type of materials, make and model of components, etc.

I used to be very into old cars, and when selling a restored car, or even just a late model car with major work done, most serious buyers would expect some kind of paper proving you actually put part x,y, and z into it, and maybe even get the shop's name if you didn't do the work. I find this all completely reasonable.

After seeing so many homes with work that looks okay initially, but under close inspection, doesn't look either professional or doesn't look worth the price they're asking. I then ask my realtor if its possible to get some kind of paper work about the work they looked at me like I was crazy. Huh?

After almost two years of looking at homes for sale, and seeing such huge difference in quality, but ultimately all the homes go for the same price, I can understand the desire to do something cheaply. But do buyers have any ability to ask for more info, other than having a inspector do a relatively superficial inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 01:49 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,650 times
You can ask...personally I'm not organized enough to have kept detailed records.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:14 PM

274 posts, read 427,111 times
^ That.

I do keep some of the records from the projects that we did on my house. Like the roof replacement and the laminate floor installed by lowes. The pool/pool pump replacement etc. Tile flooring in the bathrooms....When I had my house listed I had it in labeled folders that I left on the counter so the buyer could look through and see the work, price and date.

However, my kitchen rehab and both bathroom rehabs my husband did ourselves (replaced vanities, lights etc). We are also big DIY'ers so some of the work would probably not have paperwork.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
I'll add something to give you another point of view. If I were the seller and you asked for this stuff, I'd be thinking, "Oh boy, this guy is gonna be a PITA."

We had a seller once who included every single serial number of the appliances on the sales contract AND demanded receipts (they were all less than 5 years old but out of warranty). That made us think twice, and since it was a low ball offer, we countered with a higher offer than we might have because of his paranoia.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
The time to ask is after the inspections and due diligence has been negotiated, and before the closing. Something casual, like, "Hey, I wonder if you would mind sharing receipts on the work that you had done on the roof last year, in case there's a problem down the road?" The seller is far less likely to be defensive at this time, and IF they have the information handy, will probably be willing to share (assuming, of course, you didn't beat them up too badly during the inspection . . . :-) )

Old 11-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The time to ask is after the inspections and due diligence has been negotiated, and before the closing. Something casual, like, "Hey, I wonder if you would mind sharing receipts on the work that you had done on the roof last year, in case there's a problem down the road?" The seller is far less likely to be defensive at this time, and IF they have the information handy, will probably be willing to share (assuming, of course, you didn't beat them up too badly during the inspection . . . :-) )
I'd agree with that. We always leave as much of the paperwork as we can find, including receipts, instruction manuals, paint chips (and cans of leftovers), HOA financials and minutes from prior years, etc. We've actually received nice thank you notes from the new owners for doing that.

Have you REALLY been seriously looking at homes for two years????!!!????

Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgourmet View Post
i'll add something to give you another point of view. If i were the seller and you asked for this stuff, i'd be thinking, "oh boy, this guy is gonna be a pita."

we had a seller once who included every single serial number of the appliances on the sales contract and demanded receipts (they were all less than 5 years old but out of warranty). That made us think twice, and since it was a low ball offer, we countered with a higher offer than we might have because of his paranoia.
ditto

Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Have you REALLY been seriously looking at homes for two years????!!!????
Yep, although I'm not in desperate need of a house, I tour any homes that catch my eye. If I needed a home, I would have purchased something in that time. I'm not necessarily looking for a bargain, just something in the right location and nothing with someone's awful DIY work.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:21 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,997 times
Of course you have the right to ask. Just like you might ask for a summary of utility bills.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Yep, although I'm not in desperate need of a house, I tour any homes that catch my eye. If I needed a home, I would have purchased something in that time. I'm not necessarily looking for a bargain, just something in the right location and nothing with someone's awful DIY work.
Your realtor must be thrilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate