Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Yeah. I was thinking drainage easement as well. Just leave 3" under the fence and you're good most places.
May need to put chain link across the bottom.....depending on the OP's dog.

Some dogs will use a 3" gap like that to work themselves out from under a fence.

Ask me how I know............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:09 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
In case you were wonder on the how easy it is to lose your land.
This land is now their land -- so a judge rules - Los Angeles Times
Laws differ from states.
I have passed this link around and everyone registers outrage. I have to look up whether there was any kind of appeal afterwards. Like the protests.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I have passed this link around and everyone registers outrage. I have to look up whether there was any kind of appeal afterwards. Like the protests.
There was an appeal; the judge and his wife reached a settlement that returned all but a five- to eight-foot strip back to the rightful owners. The judge died in 2011, so he went through all those costly legal battles for years and hardly got any enjoyment out of the land he took. He also became a social pariah. Just goes to show, legal doesn't always mean right or moral!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Well done hubby! So glad the guy didn't get out the shotgun ha ha! Sounds like he'll be civil at least to your face. That's all we can really ask of neighbors, eh?

As far as any easement regarding the OP's property - it would have been in the title report. If there's nothing there, I wouldn't worry about it. That's what title insurance is for. If they didn't tell you about an easement, and it costs you money down the line - yay for title insurance!

I have a feeling the guy made up the easement to justify what he did. At any rate, if there's some easement on his land, it shouldn't impact the OP. IMO.

What a relief OP. I was on pins and needles waiting to hear if this was going to be the next Hatfields and McCoys.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My husband happened to see neighbor outside in his yard this morning so he walked down to speak to him.

After introductions hubby told him we mailed a letter and and about the survey etc. Neighbor then asked if those were the stakes? Supposedly he thought they were from the city about the easement. He also thought we were just letting him know that we were putting in a fence just in case the fence workers messed up his plants. Long story short, he did think it was his land but on assumption only. He said he will move some of the plants that come back (periannuals?) But leave most as they will die out over winter. Hubby got the feeling that this guy really didn't know much about surveys and was a tiny bit clueless. I don't know if it was an act but we will find out come Spring. I hope that's it though!
Let us know how it goes as the process continues.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:17 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Glad that it looks like things will have a smooth resolution - so nice to get the good updates on these things!

Old 11-11-2014, 09:39 AM

[quote=angelenogirl;37224635]There was an appeal; the judge and his wife reached a settlement that returned all but a five- to eight-foot strip back to the rightful owners. The judge died in 2011, so he went through all those costly legal battles for years and hardly got any enjoyment out of the land he took. He also became a social pariah. Just goes to show, legal doesn't always mean right or moral![/quotG

Good to know. Your last sentence....so true in all things.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:15 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Here is a newspaper article after his death.

Richard McLean, former Boulder mayor and judge, dies - Colorado Daily

It's such a shame that they made a land grab. He was probably a good guy who made a stupid choice. He paid heavily in the public's opinion for a 5-8 ft strip of land. He will always be remembered for this one stupid thing he did.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Here is a newspaper article after his death.

Richard McLean, former Boulder mayor and judge, dies - Colorado Daily

It's such a shame that they made a land grab. He was probably a good guy who made a stupid choice. He paid heavily in the public's opinion for a 5-8 ft strip of land. He will always be remembered for this one stupid thing he did.
This is very interesting. He sounds more to me like a driven person who eventually appears to have gone haywire with psychological issues, dimentia, whatever juding by some of the odd things he did toward the end. He knew he could have contacted the owner. He knew when he set foot on the property that he was doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate