Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:25 AM

138 posts, read 173,251 times

Advertisements

We're located in the Lehigh Valley, PA. If you want a better idea where we are at, please DM me. We're hoping to put our house on the market by February or March.

I'd like some opinions on how much work we should put into the house to get the most resale value.

It was built in 1956. We replaced...
- the roof about 10 years ago with an architectural style roof.
- all 22 windows. (though a few of them are missing those little things that stick out to stop you from opening them all the way).
- the garage door and shutters (a couple have faded some).
- the siding on this mostly brick house.
- the small, damaged (upheaved) front porch with a large one that extends across the front.
- three wooden doors were switched out for steel doors (replaced closer to 15 years ago).

That's all we were able to do at the time, with still plenty of work to do inside and minor things outside, and then things started going bad with the economy, etc. We can't fix everything, and are probably only willing to put another $10-15,000 into it (not sure where that money is going to come from at this point).

So, we have...
- two bathrooms with problems
- an outdated kitchen that just looks really old
- upstairs floors need refinishing
- stairs need new carpeting or hardwood beneath the old refinished
- the garage, which is separate but attached has settling.

Outside,
- landscaping could use work
- old siding runoff on the bricks needs cleaning off
- back porch was reroofed and sided, but the porch itself needs work.

There's always more, but those are the ones I can think of.

Painting is a given, I'm working on that already. We have little time and/or ability to do some of the stuff involved, but are willing to do some things ourselves.

So, what do you think? We don't want to do unnecessary stuff at this point, but if certain things will bring up the sale price of the house and are really worth the effort, we want to consider those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Every case is different... I'd.have to see it in person to make a call... one person's bad shape might be fine for another person.... good example is kitchens... new cabinets and counters is the last thing I care about if the current ones look clean...

Start with the cheap stuff that can make things look better like powerwashing the brick and go from there.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 AM

44 posts, read 51,595 times
Hi there! Before I say anything else I would highly recommend you get yourself a good Realtor who can help you identify what things need to be done and what things don't need to be done to help you sell your house. Now, for a more direct answer, there are 3 types of houses on the market and you have to decide which type you want your house to be. First, there are those houses which are overpriced and get no showings. Then there are houses which may be priced right and get showings but no offers because they don't look as nice as other comparable homes on the market. Lastly, there are houses that are priced right, look great, look better than other similar houses and get lots of showings and get offers quickly. The closer you can be to the last group the better. If you are not in that last group you may have to price your house accordingly. A good Realtor in your area can help you make the appropriate decisions you need to make to be successful.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-06-2014 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: removed items against the TOS

Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post
Home Improvements for Resale Value
I'd like some opinions on how much work we should put into the house...
There's always more, but...
But leave something for the buyers to do.

Generally there is very little if any return from doing "improvements".
Then you get into the question of choosing color and finish materials for a stranger.

Repairs? Cleaning? De-cluttering? You betcha. But not more.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:39 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Find a real estate agent that works with a stager. If you plan to sell FSBO, find a good local stager. Hire them for a consult. They are masters at making things look amazing inexpensively.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
I agree that you should begin talking with several local agents to get their opinions. Plus it is a good way to decide which one you want to help you sell when the time comes.

IMHO below are the things you should concentrate on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAIN5 View Post

- stairs need new carpeting or hardwood beneath the old refinished
- the garage, which is separate but attached has settling.

Outside,
- landscaping could use work
- old siding runoff on the bricks needs cleaning off

Painting is a given,

Old 11-06-2014, 11:09 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Yes, get a good realtor who doesn't overdo and say you need to fix every single thing.

You and the realtor should know your area and your potential buyers. Talk with people you know who bought recently or sold lately.

A few ideas...

Inside:

How bad are the bathroom "problems"?

How bad are the hardwood floors and stairs that need refinishing?

Kitchen condition can be a regional thing. Acquaintance from CA says everyone replaces kitchens no matter what so he never invests in them. Other places...lots of glitz and glamor in the kitchen.

In your case old could be charming if you're in a countryish setting. At least charming for now and the buyer could do something else. Check with realtors on prices people got with older kitchens.

Outside:
Landscaping. Can you just go out with a hedge trimmer and limb cutter and have at it? Doesn't need to be perfect to your standards but just neat and clean and trim. Have someone cut a little trench around bushy areas and throw down some mulch. Check your weather for when to do this cutting. You might have students on spring break willing to help.

Same student help on scrubbing the bricks if possible.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:01 PM

138 posts, read 173,251 times
Thanks for all the responses so far ! We have some more decluttering to do before we bring in any agents, but we'll definitely be doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But leave something for the buyers to do.

Generally there is very little if any return from doing "improvements".
Then you get into the question of choosing color and finish materials for a stranger.

Repairs? Cleaning? De-cluttering? You betcha. But not more.
This is what I want to hear . I only want to do extra if it's going to bring in more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Yes, get a good realtor who doesn't overdo and say you need to fix every single thing.

You and the realtor should know your area and your potential buyers. Talk with people you know who bought recently or sold lately.

A few ideas...

Inside:

How bad are the bathroom "problems"?

How bad are the hardwood floors and stairs that need refinishing?

Kitchen condition can be a regional thing. Acquaintance from CA says everyone replaces kitchens no matter what so he never invests in them. Other places...lots of glitz and glamor in the kitchen.

In your case old could be charming if you're in a countryish setting. At least charming for now and the buyer could do something else. Check with realtors on prices people got with older kitchens.

Outside:
Landscaping. Can you just go out with a hedge trimmer and limb cutter and have at it? Doesn't need to be perfect to your standards but just neat and clean and trim. Have someone cut a little trench around bushy areas and throw down some mulch. Check your weather for when to do this cutting. You might have students on spring break willing to help.

Same student help on scrubbing the bricks if possible.
IMO, besides the clean up stuff, the bathrooms will have to be dealt with. The upstairs bathtub tiles had a space missed when regrouted and it leaked down into the dining room. And there's a small soft spot on the floor as well. I'm a little afraid of what we'll find when we start pulling stuff down in there. The lower bathroom was retiled with a friend's help, but it doesn't match the rest of the room and whoever did the floors in the bathrooms, did a sloppy job on them.

The hardwoods just need a good sanding and to be sealed. I don't think they're that bad. Don't know what's going on under the carpeting on the stairs, but am not expecting anything bad.

Thanks for the student idea.

---

Forgot to mention earlier that we've had some chimney work done and the water heater replaced as well.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:13 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'm not a Realtor.

But, as a person who has sold and bought homes, I read this and what is flashing through my head is 'get an inspection'. Fix the major and some of the minor stuff that needs to be fixed from that inspection. Then see how much money you have left over and determine where to do from there.

Why? Because eventually you'll get an offer. The potential buyer is going to get an inspection. You'll end up paying to fix this stuff at that point anyway (either out of pocket or by dropping the sales price). And if that inspection comes back with the amount of stuff I suspect it will, you might end up scaring off the potential buyer.

I'm curious if any of the Realtors agree with me?

Old 11-06-2014, 12:16 PM

271 posts, read 427,046 times
as someone looking for a house right now, what you just described would make me run, unless your price was so low it's worth reconsidering. kitchens and bathrooms make a big impression. if they look old, i just see dollar signs to replace everything or regut the rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate