Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:33 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

There are currently homes about to be built that backup to a DFW airport runway.
They will price those homes accordingly and there will be certain people that will buy those homes.

If a home is discounted because of a future situation like a Highway and fully disclosed, is there a problem ?
Reminds me of the people who bought homes by the local sewer treatment plant then complained about the smell.

Also, all homes need repairs after a few years. Things break and wear out just like in your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:43 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Isn't the key, "within a year" My parents sold their home that they had been in for over 38 years. I remember visiting with him at their new home a year after they had sold the old home. He was saying something about being relieved that the year was up. That way he didn't have to pay for anything for the former home. I think my parents had kept an insurance policy in effect for that first year. I am not an expert on these kind of things but is it possible that a buyer could get an insurance policy for a year of two to limit potential issues that may have been unseen at the time of purchase?
I was referring to different tile line like until rain season to see leakage problems. Unfortunately home warranty doesn't cover structural and/or construction defects and many builders who were building in our air are out of business, so you are on your own. I am sure some people are OK spending thousands on costly repairs, but most I would image are not. We are talking about 5-10 year old houses.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
ONLY if insurance claims are posted. What if sinkhole evaluation never were performed? What if listed house doesn't have a sinkhole, but another house next door has. I am sure you as a great realtor check all houses within 1 mile radius of the house your clients consider to purchase..

Who do banks have to disclose repairs over 3K to? Banks are not fixing, this is where I see a problem, they just COVERING!!! Cracks on outside walls? No problem, lets seal it and paint it over. Window is leaking and floors and walls show water damage? No problem, let's replace a piece of drywall and change floors to new carpet. Do you understand where I am heading?
The house in question has the repaired sinkhole in the public records so all your insinuations are not necessary since it can be found with due diligence and a good agent will point that out.

And just so you know we check in the area but if that 1 mile radius, probably not since a mile away is not really affecting a home with a sinkhole or if you think that is why don't you get your real estate license and start a business with pointing out what is a mile away from a subject home.

In the area many banks are now replacing more than before but if you ask my opinion if I trust a bank to everything that is needed...NO, just as I don't trust anyone else since it seems many sellers don't disclose what they don't want others to know and many are playing with fire and gamble that a lawsuit will not happen down the road.

Just as the sellers of that multi million dollar home who filed an insurance claim didn't disclose it and after closing the claim came up after buyers dealt with mold and both seller and agent/brokerage are now being sued.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:54 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
In our area the new thing is a lava flow which is heading out of it's traditional directions. I'm seeing dozens or more listings for houses which are in the possible new path of the lava flow. It probably won't be there for a year or two, it's real slow, but there's a fairly good possibility that the houses will be covered in lava within five years.

There is a standard lava disclosure that folks have been signing and basically ignoring for years now, but now that it matters will folks pay attention? Is a house inspector going to note that? If the houses are sold to mainland buyers with mainland lenders are they even going to know to ask about possible lava? Folks usually go by the "Lava Zone" when it comes to determine the lending particulars as well as the insurance particulars, Zone 1 being the most likely to be over run, but this new direction of the lava is going into Zone 2 so it has been considered somewhat "safe" area for a long time. Will the new buyers and lenders know about the changed conditions?

The prices are very low so some folks will probably buy them. Caveat emptor, I guess.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why are you assuming that they don't know...? You act like a crime is committed but are you part of the negotiations or the transaction?

I went years ago to a builder in Meadow Point and they explained to us about St. Rd 56 being extended and that only happened 7-8 years later but they disclosed it while at that time we didn't even asked but if there is a empty piece of land it is ethical if the builder will disclose it and buyer's due diligence and since the plans are out there and often mentioned in the news papers and on the news it is not like a hidden secret.
Maybe because I am not assuming but has first hand info?

I would kindly ask you not to mix different topics here since buying new from the builder is not the same as buying from banks in existing neighborhood. Sure info about upcoming projects are not top secret info, but all realtors I even came across neglected to even think about it not to mention talk about it. And most people might not even think about new road going across their backyard when they have nice preserve view there now. I am not sure why you have so many thinks to argue with me about here. I am not getting anything from sharing helpful information with future home buyers in our area (and too bad this thread was moved to another subforum where most people moving to our area are not really reading)

Old 11-14-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If a home is discounted because of a future situation like a Highway and fully disclosed, is there a problem ?
IF it disclosed, sure, but if not? Who is responsible to share about upcoming road back to back with listed property? Realtor? Inspector? Bank who is the seller and most likely out of state?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The house in question has the repaired sinkhole in the public records so all your insinuations are not necessary since it can be found with due diligence and a good agent will point that out.
Do you mind to update me what house in question you are talking about because I wasn't referring to any repaired sink hole houses here... If you are talking to your self and I interrupted you I apologize. Or maybe it's your normal misunderstanding our English as we previously experienced...

So, let's not assume something and compare every possible scenario to the house you keep in your mind. Good if sink hole was determined and repaired, but if it wasn't and bank covered most possible signs? No signs = no problems?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:17 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I would check any permits associated with sink holes in immediate area of the house people are looking to buy. Since this thread was originally posted in local Florida subforum, I can tell where to look for these permits online, but for other states - I am not sure if it's available online information.
Hello
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I would be very interested in where to find these permits online in Florida! If you could post or PM me the link, whichever is best, please do so. it would be very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I understand a filled sink hole would be the best lot to buy!

Well, that's what they said on ABC News 2 days ago,

Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
There is no doubt that a certified home inspector be retained. Not the one the R.E. agent recommends, find your own, check their qualifications.
Good agents have good referrals because they want the buyer to be happy and refer them more clients. Good agents have good referrals because they are aware the job others do also reflect on them. Good agents have good referrals because they actually care about their clients. I find trust but verify to be better advice than "all agents recommend bad inspectors." Heck, I just had a deal get killed by the inspection but I'm not sweating it. We'll just go find another home, no big deal. It's not like I lost a client over it and I'd rather have a happy client than an unhappy home owner and a check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate