Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:02 PM

297 posts, read 573,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
These people seem really REALLY annoying to me, I don't like the decor (honestly, a basketball hoop on the wall??) and there is no way I would view that house if I had to interact with them. I just get the sense they would be far to forceful/inserting of their personalities throughout the showing.

I'd still view this house only if it were prime location/house for what I was looking for, and if they were not present for the viewing.

I'm sorry, but the biggest investment of your life and you make a joke out of it? That's your choice, but it's also dumb.
Well, apparently you, my husband, and I are the only ones so far who share this view.

Last night I had my husband look at the listing. I purposely didn't give him my opinion first because I wanted to see his reaction. Here's how the conversation went:

ME: I sent you a link to a FSBO. Tell me what you think.
DH: (click, click) Is this a joke?
ME: No, it's a real listing.
DH: (click, click) WTF are these people doing?
ME: It's a FSBO. I assume they're the owners who are trying to sell it themselves.
DH: <sarcasm> Nice moose. </sarcasm> Seriously, a basketball hoop on the wall? (click, click) I wouldn't want to negotiate with these azzholes.

BTW, my husband negotiates for a living.

Here's the deal, folks. We aren't armchair lookie-loos. We're serious buyers looking for a small home in that very area.

I wonder if all the people here who think it's great are in the sellers' age range. We're empty nesters who don't take selfies and plaster our pictures all over social media. And if you look at the demographics for the area, it's people in our age range and older who are most likely going to be buying there.

Anyway, my first impression was correct. I won't say anything here, but a quick look at public records and a Google search proves that the guy is an attention ***** - rats, the filters asterisk the word out - attention junkie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
^^^I don't think they are targeting empty nesters by the marketing, and I don't think empty nesters would appreciate the updates they've done. It has a more contemporary feel. Btw, I'm 40.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:31 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
I wouldn't want to negotiate with these azzholes. BTW, my husband negotiates for a living.
If they sign the contract who cares?

Quote:
Anyway, my first impression was correct. I won't say anything here, but a quick look at public records and a Google search proves that the guy is an attention ***** - rats, the filters asterisk the word out - attention junkie.
Your buying a house from them, not moving in with them to be room mates. Remember, its all about the house, not the people selling it.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
^^^I don't think they are targeting empty nesters by the marketing, and I don't think empty nesters would appreciate the updates they've done. It has a more contemporary feel. Btw, I'm 40.
Huh? All empty nesters are old fuddy-duddies who like antiques and heavy, ornamental furnishings?

Newsflash: My house is contemporary. All my furnishings are contemporary, including the mid-century modern dining room set that I inherited from my mother, who preferred contemporary her entire life.

The house caught my eye because it is contemporary.

Quote:
If they sign the contract who cares?
Your buying a house from them, not moving in with them to be room mates. Remember, its all about the house, not the people selling it.
If it was listed by a RE agent, it would be a different story. They are FSBO. They will be doing the negotiating directly, without a RE agent as a filter. It matters.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 PM

And to the person who sent me remarks in a reputation comment:

No, I'm not "mad" that complete strangers on a forum don't agree with me.

I'm just trying to convey that photos like these can have the same effect as, for instance, personal photos and mementos when selling a house. How many times have we been told to depersonalize a home for sale so the buyers can "see" themselves living there? That personal items can invoke negative feelings in a buyer? This is the same concept.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Huh? All empty nesters are old fuddy-duddies who like antiques and heavy, ornamental furnishings?

Newsflash: My house is contemporary. All my furnishings are contemporary, including the mid-century modern dining room set that I inherited from my mother, who preferred contemporary her entire life.

The house caught my eye because it is contemporary.

If it was listed by a RE agent, it would be a different story. They are FSBO. They will be doing the negotiating directly, without a RE agent as a filter. It matters.
Sorry, that did sound too generalized...I should have said the decor wouldn't appeal to "most" empty nesters. Are you working with a Realtor? If the sellers are willing to pay a buyer's agent (a lot of fsbo sellers are), than you wouldn't have to negotiate with them directly. Have your realtor call them, if you're interested in the house, although it doesn't sound like your hubby was into their eclectic decor....

Old 11-22-2014, 04:04 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
If you want the house, you want the house. Yes, it may be annoying to negotiate with them, but no more annoying than working with a realtor who is working with an annoying seller. LOL.

If you cant negotiate with annoying people, you cant hack it as a negotiator and should pay full price.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Sorry, that did sound too generalized...I should have said the decor wouldn't appeal to "most" empty nesters. Are you working with a Realtor? If the sellers are willing to pay a buyer's agent (a lot of fsbo sellers are), than you wouldn't have to negotiate with them directly. Have your realtor call them, if you're interested in the house, although it doesn't sound like your hubby was into their eclectic decor....
Thank you for that. We will have our own realtor, but we haven't chosen one yet. I do believe the house will still be listed when we do, because, while I'm certainly not an expert, I think it's overpriced.

And I left out the part where I verbally slapped my husband upside the head and told him to ignore their decor. I think my words were, "Look at the HOUSE! We're not buying their cr*p!"

Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
If you want the house, you want the house. Yes, it may be annoying to negotiate with them, but no more annoying than working with a realtor who is working with an annoying seller. LOL.

If you cant negotiate with annoying people, you cant hack it as a negotiator and should pay full price.
I'm not the negotiator; my husband is. He can certainly "hack it" but has enough experience that he can spot an egotistical PITA a mile away.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:32 PM

It looks like one of those situations where they're just trying to break even and therefore trying to DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate