Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 03:51 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times

Advertisements

Wait... You have kids? You're putting them through all this hysteria?

Jesus lady, get a grip.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:57 PM

240 posts, read 348,197 times
Yes young adult kids One told me to sell it and move on it's just money and the other one said he likes it but do what I want.

I DO want to be better than this. I know there are way worse things in life but I still can't get over it. My husband and I have looked since FEB for a house and thought we did all our research that's why it makes me crazy knowing I hate the house we bought. We had so much fun looking at houses and then pick the one that is complete opposite of us and cost the most!

Old 11-23-2014, 04:02 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
You guys do give very good advice and I need to just get some of this through my head hard because I do want to be better than this. I paid $315,000 for this house that's why it's killing me that it needs so many updates. back east I could have had 3 awesome houses for that total. Is it normal to buy a outdated house for that much in a well desired neighborhood BUT NOT THE BEST. I think I will have to sell it to get on with my life only if I can sell it for at least what I paid even though we will spend 100's in paint and bathrooms now need fixed ( toilet broke and floors need replaced) There is linoleum in all bathrooms and some is peeling up and I let that go because Again I thought I was getting a deal. I let a lot go because I thought wow I am getting a lot off list price but Infound out by calling listing agent that the sellers picked list price and the agent advised lower. My realtor said he would list for free for me, but that's still a huge loss but I can't keep driving my kids and husband crazy from me crying and whining and wishing I could go back. Now we have a lot of painting to do just to relist and also replace some fixtures to make it more attractive to sell so I am already losing just to list it and hopefully carpet will clean up good otherwise I am gojng to be stuck here.
No idea where you're from "back east", but in my part of the east, you're not going to get a house for $315K that's updated/brand new in a well desired neighborhood. You'll get 3 crack/meth/heroin houses for $300K here......or a shanty way out in the middle of nowhere. So not all of the east is dirt cheap....most of it's not especially north of the Mason Dixon Line. On Long Island, $300K would buy you a dump. In Manhattan, a closet. In the rest of the state, it won't buy much except in the cities or in bad neighborhoods. And they won't be new houses or upgraded by anyone's standards.

Watch HGTV and you'll see some of those houses and your eyes will fall out of your head. I just watched some episodes of the Property Brothers and many episodes are in Canada. There are people paying over half a million bucks for houses that are nasty....and then they spend $150K remodeling the place! The houses look amazing after all that.

Say you sell the house tomorrow, how do you know you'll be happy in another house? What if these problems follow you? TALK TO A THERAPIST!!!!! You don't have to ask for meds. TALK to a THERAPIST! Their job is to talk people through life's situations.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
what is the longest I need to stay? I have been here for 1 month and I want out now. I did buy a house with outdated everything. Carpet, floors, fixtures, pink walls, old kitchen, I only bought it thinking I had $25,000 off the comps to be able to put back into it. I also feel like I picked the house too fast Like I impulses and we paid So much for it and I see houses that are better gojng for less and I want this to just be over with.
Maybe you should move. Get a small apartment nearby and leave your husband and family in the house where they seem comfortable. Remember, you are the one being unreasonable and making life bad for everyone concerned. It will be a lot cheaper for you to pay a small rent than to go through the process of selling and buying again (and maybe again after that.) Get some professional help, too.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:25 PM

577 posts, read 663,111 times
I see the future.........

Hi everyone. I bought a house 8 months ago and I was so miserable and I blamed all my misery on the house so I sold it and I lost $1,000s. I'm now living in a rental and its horrible, blah, blah, blah, my life is ruined.

(Fast forward another 18 months)....

I was living in a rental that I hated, so I bought a house, but now my life is ruined because blah, blah, blah.

lather, rinse, repeat

You need therapy, not a new home.

Last edited by thebigW; 11-23-2014 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 11-23-2014, 04:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
You guys do give very good advice and I need to just get some of this through my head hard because I do want to be better than this. I paid mid $300,000's for this house that's why it's killing me that it needs so many updates. back east I could have had 3 awesome houses for that total. Is it normal to buy a outdated house for that much in a well desired neighborhood BUT NOT THE BEST. I think I will have to sell it to get on with my life only if I can sell it for at least what I paid even though we will spend 100's in paint and bathrooms now need fixed ( toilet broke and floors need replaced) There is linoleum in all bathrooms and some is peeling up and I let that go because Again I thought I was getting a deal. I let a lot go because I thought wow I am getting a lot off list price but Infound out by calling listing agent that the sellers picked list price and the agent advised lower. My realtor said he would list for free for me, but that's still a huge loss but I can't keep driving my kids and husband crazy from me crying and whining and wishing I could go back. Now we have a lot of painting to do just to relist and also replace some fixtures to make it more attractive to sell so I am already losing just to list it and hopefully carpet will clean up good otherwise I am gojng to be stuck here.
If you waste all this money and hurt your family by actually moving make sure you look to buy a house next time, not "a deal."

In fact, you should probably not buy a house but just be a renter. Some people are just not suited to home ownership.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Yes young adult kids One told me to sell it and move on it's just money and the other one said he likes it but do what I want.

I DO want to be better than this. I know there are way worse things in life but I still can't get over it. My husband and I have looked since FEB for a house and thought we did all our research that's why it makes me crazy knowing I hate the house we bought. We had so much fun looking at houses and then pick the one that is complete opposite of us and cost the most!
Please try 3-4 months of therapy before listing. And make a few small improvements to make you like the place more.

You won't want to list until spring break/ March anyway. Houses don't show well in the winter and spring is traditionally a time when you'll have more potential buyers

Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM

240 posts, read 348,197 times
Thank you for both the nice and harsh but true comments. I need to get better and I want to get better. I have bought 3 homes back east and never once even had any remorse and they were no where near perfect. it's about the cost of house that's why I am losing it. the price and amount we put down have me a mess. this whole experience bad ruined me and I want the old me back and so does my family. I am gojng to try to get past this I just don't have the motivation to, right now my normal routine is so hard for me to do.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:33 PM

577 posts, read 663,111 times
Quote:
Thank you for both the nice and harsh but true comments. I need to get better and I want to get better. I have bought 3 homes back east and never once even had any remorse and they were no where near perfect. it's about the cost of house that's why I am losing it. the price and amount we put down have me a mess. this whole experience bad ruined me and I want the old me back and so does my family. I am gojng to try to get past this I just don't have the motivation to, right now my normal routine is so hard for me to do.
You bought 3 homes back east and didn't have remorse? The remorse isn't the house, it's that the house isn't "back east".

It's not about the cost.

Get an appraisal. Then when you find out the house is worth what you paid, maybe you'll be able to focus on what is really bothering you.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:35 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,559 times
Quote:
Start with listing all the things you want to change/update in the house. Then tackle the easiest/least expensive ones first. I always find that crossing things off of a list make it less overwhelming for me.

Try to do small things that will make you like the house more. A coat of paint, one room at a time. Perhaps some pretty towels and candles or a new shower curtain in the bathroom will brighten up the space until you get to the more major remodel. Put some favorite photos on the wall, toss some bright pillows or cozy throws on the furniture, and add some pretty plants. All of those things cost very little and will make your house more homey and personal, and you will hopefully at least enjoy it until you are able to do the updating you want.

Remember, it's just a house. You are in a safe neighborhood with your family. Your son is going to college nearby. Focus on the good things. It doesn't have to be forever, you can sell as soon as you are able to recoup at least some of your money or decide to rent it out to a family that will want to live there. The time will fly, it always does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate