Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,253,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I can't find a link that agrees with the idea that the building code says bedrooms require closets. The first two I could find definitely did not have closest as a requirement:

Like in Alameda County or Sonoma County.

It might be something like fruits, where botanists and grocers have similar but different definitions.
Yep, hence the local modifications. It's been years since I've been in the construction trades and had to parse the UBC. Since my county doesn't have the staff to opt out (or in), I think they go for the easiest path.

I love your analogy though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,595,764 times
Your appraisal didn't mention this, and neither did your inspector?

It's a good reminder though, that the "buyer's agent" isn't really acting for you, they're aiming for the quickest closing with the fewest showings they can get away with, no matter how much you pay or how much you like the house.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:41 PM

8,549 posts, read 12,317,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It's a good reminder though, that the "buyer's agent" isn't really acting for you...
That may be the case with some...but broad generalizations don't hold true.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,597,231 times
where is the OP ? It just seems like an introduction to a topic to generate posts. That can be okay but I like to get feedback and what is happening from the OP.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,676,573 times
OP a bit more information I think is needed. Where we have purchased houses, bedrooms in the basement as you have described are not legal.

*How was the house evaluated for comps?
*How are your taxes rated?
*Were there permits for the bedrooms?
*Did you have to get a certificate of occupancy? (in certain states)
*Wasn't this caught on the inspection?

Several red flags that this wasn't caught before you closed!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:34 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,401,055 times
If we have a listing that has some bedrooms without legal egress, we almost always still list them as a bedroom, but with a note that says that some bedrooms may not/do not have legal egress. I've never heard of those rooms not being counted in the square footage, though. They just may not count as bedrooms. As the buyer may or may not see the listing, it would be on their agent to make sure that information was passed along. There isn't a place on our property disclosure form to put this information.

It sounds like some people here assume that no basement bedrooms are legal bedrooms at all, which isn't true. I lived in a 6 bedroom house, where 2 of the bedrooms were in the basement. Not only were the 2 bedrooms legal, the city actually counted the house as a 9 bedroom because several of the non-bedrooms had closets and egress, so they picked them up as bedrooms even though they weren't. 2 of those extra "bedrooms" were also in the basement.

Although I will say that in some states/regions, basement square footage is not counted at all, so this is very region specific.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:34 PM

480 posts, read 1,180,202 times
^^^ Silverfall has started us down the correct path.

There is a difference between bedroom and a room that "functions" as a bedroom.

We've all seen MLS listings that state X number of baths, X number of bedroom, plus an optional "bedroom/den". How can that be? Well, that room is missing something -- normally a door or closet. But you can put up a privacy curtain and a wardrobe cabinet and, voila, it's a functioning bedroom.

Whether that room would count as a bedroom in the overall room count of the homes depends upon a variety of different factors, all of which are articulated in the various posts above.

In my market areas, only above grade rooms are included in the room count of the homes. Basement spaces, finished or unfinished, do normally add value to the home unless the improvements are way over the top or are in violation of municipal ordinances, e.g., having a kitchen in the basement where it is legally not permitted. But you can have three bedrooms in the basement and two above great and, at the end of the day, you have a two bedroom house and a large basement.

Again, this is my market area but it also reflects Fannie Mae and FHA standards.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:46 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,609,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
OP a bit more information I think is needed. Where we have purchased houses, bedrooms in the basement as you have described are not legal.

*How was the house evaluated for comps?
*How are your taxes rated?
*Were there permits for the bedrooms?
*Did you have to get a certificate of occupancy? (in certain states)
*Wasn't this caught on the inspection?

Several red flags that this wasn't caught before you closed!
How would the buyer have any of this information available? Especially the first three points?

Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 PM

988 posts, read 1,733,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
How would the buyer have any of this information available? Especially the first three points?
Just fyi, those are all matters of public record, so not difficult for a buyer to have researched prior to closing.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't know if this applies to the OP but with all the HGTV types shows, does no one every remember that a bedroom in the basement always must have some opening to the outside in order for it to be counted as a bedroom? Including a closet? Maybe it's just me then.
Counting bedrooms is a very local thing. Some MLS leave it to the discretion of the listing agent and some have very specific rules.

My MLS does not allow bedrooms is basements to be included in the bedroom count, regardless if those below grade rooms have windows or not. Any Finished and heated above grade room with a door, with or without a window or closet may be included in the bedroom count. And lastly, below grade space cannot be included in the square footage.

My MLS covers about 100 different municipalities and no two municipalities have the same zoning laws.

As it relates to the OP of this thread, what matters are the rules of the MLS that was used to advertise the property. Your agent should have made you aware that not all bedrooms are created equal.

Lastly, you have a right to see the appraisal given you paid for it, assuming you financed the purpose.look at the comps used to determine an appraised value. I think it's unlikely the appraiser compared your 2 above grade bedrooms to other properties with 4 above grade rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate