Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Not sure what you mean here. What infrastructure? It's an area with 2 acre min zoning and lots of 5-50 acre parcels BUT no sewage districts except in town centers - too expensive to justify expansion cause of low density and exceptionally rocky geology, everything is on ledge to some extent.
That's exactly what I mean. That's why development is limited in your area. The "natural infrastructure" could not handle massive growth that would come if they extended sewer out to that area, and the residents likely would not tolerate the expense of tapping in, nor could it handle any abuses of existing systems, such as a septic system built to handle 3 bedrooms but actually serving 4 or 5. That's why they have limits ... to protect the watershed area from improperly treated wastewater.

I think Karen has a good point in that people who are not used to being on septic would appreciate the peace of mind that comes with having a new system. So if they are looking in an area where all houses are older and have septic, yes, yours would compare favorably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:16 AM

179 posts, read 268,497 times
I have been on septic and well for 20 years and would consider a new septic a positive improvement.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:00 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's exactly what I mean. That's why development is limited in your area. The "natural infrastructure" could not handle massive growth that would come if they extended sewer out to that area, and the residents likely would not tolerate the expense of tapping in, nor could it handle any abuses of existing systems, such as a septic system built to handle 3 bedrooms but actually serving 4 or 5. That's why they have limits ... to protect the watershed area from improperly treated wastewater.

I think Karen has a good point in that people who are not used to being on septic would appreciate the peace of mind that comes with having a new system. So if they are looking in an area where all houses are older and have septic, yes, yours would compare favorably.
Got it, thanks. There's another reason too: the area is very old. Many of the roads date to the revolutionary war with boundaries and lots to match. With very, very few exceptions there has been no large scale development since the '50's. Since then it has been individual spec houses. The only large, undeveloped parcels (50+ acres) belong to people like George Soros and Martha Stewart, and they aren't subdividing. :-)

Last edited by kletter1mann; 12-01-2014 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: hit "post" too sooon!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Got it, thanks. There's another reason too: the area is very old. Many of the roads date to the revolutionary war with boundaries and lots to match. With very, very few exceptions there has been no large scale development since the '50's. Since then it has been individual spec houses. The only large, undeveloped parcels (50+ acres) belong to people like George Soros and Martha Stewart, and they aren't subdividing. :-)
Truly a unique area. I've been through there once, about 25 years ago.

People will tell you that real estate is local, so anyone moving there knows this about the zoning and utilities. So you true local comps should have similar circumstances, i.e. also be on septic.

If that is the case and buyers are comparing your house to others on septic in your area, a brand-new septic system should be favorable. You have to know, though, that it won't overcome layout problems, location issues or very dated finishes.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Truly a unique area. I've been through there once, about 25 years ago.

People will tell you that real estate is local, so anyone moving there knows this about the zoning and utilities. So you true local comps should have similar circumstances, i.e. also be on septic.

If that is the case and buyers are comparing your house to others on septic in your area, a brand-new septic system should be favorable. You have to know, though, that it won't overcome layout problems, location issues or very dated finishes.
Fortunately it doesn't have to overcome anything. It's 100% updated, refinished, fixed or new. And location is excellent. Layout is a bit unusual and doesn't appeal to parents with infants or very young children (master Brm far from kids rooms). For everyone else it's great.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
We are now installing a new septic system, up to current code and specs, sized for 5 bedrooms. ,,, it isn't sexy, but it would seem like a new system has real value and would be a major selling point against an otherwise similar house with a 30 or 40 year old septic. Any thoughts on marketability and how to play the price? Thanks in advance....
Buyer may not need an 'improved' septic. It is not worth a dime of your expense (AFAIK).

I went to the trouble of getting my own installers license with the state. (WA, not NY). It was very time consuming, but I loved the education. It turned my $50k septic installs to under $5000. I can do my own conventional systems under $1200. I have my own dozer and excavator, but they can be rented for under $500 for a weekend.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default This would be the guy that actually shops for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Buyer may not need an 'improved' septic. It is not worth a dime of your expense (AFAIK).

I went to the trouble of getting my own installers license with the state. (WA, not NY). It was very time consuming, but I loved the education. It turned my $50k septic installs to under $5000. I can do my own conventional systems under $1200. I have my own dozer and excavator, but they can be rented for under $500 for a weekend.
...cars with failed braking systems! I imagine in the right market one could effectively "flip" homes with broken septic systems for a nice profit if you are fully licensed!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
I would invest in an appraisal (especially if it's 50k for a new septic) and ask them about the impact a new septic system would make on their appraised value.

That way you can see what to ask for in your home. A realtor can get you comps but with this much money, I would use an appraiser.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I would invest in an appraisal (especially if it's 50k for a new septic) and ask them about the impact a new septic system would make on their appraised value.

That way you can see what to ask for in your home. A realtor can get you comps but with this much money, I would use an appraiser.
Very good advice.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:14 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Having a brand new septic system is definitely a plus. Before we got hooked into the city sewers here our old septic tank disintegrated.. What a mess and there was a huge hole in the yard for the longest time.

So, having a new septic is definitely a plus and I'd feel more confident in buying your house as opposed to the ones with the old original septics. I'd probably be ok paying a little more for your house too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate