Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

Looking at a few co-op's for sale in Westchester County, NY. I inquired about a few of them and was told by the real estate agent that the first step is to get pre approved to see what my purchasing power is which I am in the process of doing now.

Can anyone help me out and give me a brief rundown of what I can expect to encounter and some tips. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 09:07 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Coops are a tough buy. You'll be interviewed by the coop board. Make sure you're squeaky clean financially.

When you buy a coop you're buying shares in a corporation and get a proprietary lease to use the space in that unit. Thus, the coop board wants to make sure you're financially stable.

You'll need a larger down payment than you would for a condo or single family home. Most lenders won't lend on a coop. So you'll be limited to whatever lenders you can find who will lend on a coop or who will lend on that particular building.

Try Chase, Bank of America, Sovereign, Apple Bank and National Cooperative Bank- especially the last.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Coops are a tough buy. You'll be interviewed by the coop board. Make sure you're squeaky clean financially.

When you buy a coop you're buying shares in a corporation and get a proprietary lease to use the space in that unit. Thus, the coop board wants to make sure you're financially stable.

You'll need a larger down payment than you would for a condo or single family home. Most lenders won't lend on a coop. So you'll be limited to whatever lenders you can find who will lend on a coop or who will lend on that particular building.

Try Chase, Bank of America, Sovereign, Apple Bank and National Cooperative Bank- especially the last.
Thanks for this info.

I'm actually looking to acquire lending thru my credit union. My salary and financial portfolio are pretty good. Credit score is currently at 740. I have the down payment money in cash as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:41 AM

988 posts, read 1,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Thanks for this info.

I'm actually looking to acquire lending thru my credit union. My salary and financial portfolio are pretty good. Credit score is currently at 740. I have the down payment money in cash as well.
Most co-ops require buyers to put down 20-25% of the purchase price, about the same as what most lenders require these days. But the range can be vast, depending on the co-op—anywhere from 10% down (very rare) to 50% or more at higher-end buildings.

Co-ops also expect you to have sufficient money left over (also known as ‘liquid asset requirements’). The required amount can range drastically, from a few months worth of maintenance payments to 1 to 3 times the purchase price of the apartment. Two years worth of mortgage and maintenance charges is about average in NYC co-ops; Westchester places will probably not be as stringent.

In addition, each co-op will expect you to meet a debt-to-income ratio, usually around 25%-29%. That means your total monthly payments--mortgage and maintenance--cannot exceed the specified percentage of your gross income. An excellent credit score is also required.

Add them all up, and you will find that the average co-op's financial standards are much higher than the average mortgage bank...a primary reason NYC co-ops withstood the recent recession so well.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 454 times
Do you need to buy allocations on your own land first in Arizona very expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate