Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,809,645 times

Advertisements

This board has been invaluable to me as we have struggled with the process of getting our home ready to sell, putting it on the market, dealing with realtors and potential buyers, etc. So I just wanted to share my story. I was too superstitious to post until the deal was actually complete, and I just got the call from my lawyer that the deed has been recorded.

We bought our house in 1995 when the market was very bad. It was all we could afford at the time, and needed a ton of work, much of which my husband did himself. We knew we would be there for a while so that my stepson could finish school in that district, so there were certain things we splurged on, like putting in a great kitchen with all top-end stuff. When we were finally ready to sell in the fall, the market had come down quite a bit from its peak, and my husband was extremely disappointed in the listing price proposed by the realtors we spoke with. We interviewed three realtors and decided on one who had a strong sense of how she wanted to market the house – all her ideas made sense to us. I told her I wanted to approve all pictures and text that were used to market it as I had seen some really awful things on mls(I still do not understand ¾ of what is out there – all the blurry pictures, misspellings, etc.), but she did such a great job that I never had to change a word. She also suggested offering assistance with closing costs as this was a barrier to many buyers, especially first-time ones, and no one else in the area was doing this.

We had 5 or 6 showings in the first month but were getting negative feedback regarding the price, which people felt was too high for the location. We decided to be aggressive and dropped the price from 429K to 400K after one month so that anyone doing a search up to 400K would see it. We had already relocated so every month that it was on the market we had to pay the mortgage and rent on our temporary home – we were motivated sellers!

A few weeks later our buyers came in. They had looked at almost 100 houses and ours was just the right fir for them We settled on 395K as the selling price. My realtor strongly believes that there is a right house for every person, and was sure that we would work everything out, and we did. We closed this morning.

We’ll be looking for a new house now, and I have learned so much from this board and from my own experiences. I will never go through the process without a realtor and a lawyer I believe in – both those people were invaluable to me. There is also so much to be said for compromising – giving in on minor things can save thousands of dollars if you’re risking the deal falling through and having to start from scratch again. I’m looking forward to being the buyer in this buyers’ market, though!

Good luck to everyone with a house to sell – keep the faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,024,310 times
Congratulations to you on closing and good luck with your search. Enjoy being a buyer.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 AM

553 posts, read 2,332,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
This board has been invaluable to me as we have struggled with the process of getting our home ready to sell, putting it on the market, dealing with realtors and potential buyers, etc. So I just wanted to share my story. I was too superstitious to post until the deal was actually complete, and I just got the call from my lawyer that the deed has been recorded.

We bought our house in 1995 when the market was very bad. It was all we could afford at the time, and needed a ton of work, much of which my husband did himself. We knew we would be there for a while so that my stepson could finish school in that district, so there were certain things we splurged on, like putting in a great kitchen with all top-end stuff. When we were finally ready to sell in the fall, the market had come down quite a bit from its peak, and my husband was extremely disappointed in the listing price proposed by the realtors we spoke with. We interviewed three realtors and decided on one who had a strong sense of how she wanted to market the house – all her ideas made sense to us. I told her I wanted to approve all pictures and text that were used to market it as I had seen some really awful things on mls(I still do not understand ¾ of what is out there – all the blurry pictures, misspellings, etc.), but she did such a great job that I never had to change a word. She also suggested offering assistance with closing costs as this was a barrier to many buyers, especially first-time ones, and no one else in the area was doing this.

We had 5 or 6 showings in the first month but were getting negative feedback regarding the price, which people felt was too high for the location. We decided to be aggressive and dropped the price from 429K to 400K after one month so that anyone doing a search up to 400K would see it. We had already relocated so every month that it was on the market we had to pay the mortgage and rent on our temporary home – we were motivated sellers!

A few weeks later our buyers came in. They had looked at almost 100 houses and ours was just the right fir for them We settled on 395K as the selling price. My realtor strongly believes that there is a right house for every person, and was sure that we would work everything out, and we did. We closed this morning.

We’ll be looking for a new house now, and I have learned so much from this board and from my own experiences. I will never go through the process without a realtor and a lawyer I believe in – both those people were invaluable to me. There is also so much to be said for compromising – giving in on minor things can save thousands of dollars if you’re risking the deal falling through and having to start from scratch again. I’m looking forward to being the buyer in this buyers’ market, though!

Good luck to everyone with a house to sell – keep the faith.
You should consider opting out from the credit bureaus and DMA companies. Opting out notifies the credit bureaus that you do not want them to lend, sell or share you information to solicitors or pre approved credit card offers. This is where a lot of the junk mail comes from for pre approved credit cards, life insurance, house water filters etc... DMA companies sell your information to many mail solicitors for everything else. You can go to www.optoutprescreen.com for more information. It is a pain to be removed from DMA companies since you have to write to them but it will help cut down the initial new home buyer junk mail that comes to you. You also want to opt out fromyour mortgage company or they too will sell your information to other affiliates etc... usually it is located at the bottom of the websites under privacy. Congratualtions and good luck!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,959 times
CONGRATS! Happy house hunting!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,663 times
Congrats..

Good luck looking for your new HOME.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,652 times
Congratulations. Happy house hunting. Liz

Old 01-10-2008, 07:02 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,784,370 times
Thumbs up Congratulations For A Job Well Done!!!

You have provided an excellent model for operating as a team with your agent. There should be more sellers like you.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM

56 posts, read 183,815 times
congrats! i agree with you TOTALLY. IRONICALLY, as a potential buyer, I have had 2 contracts slapped down over stupid things like curtains...you will find sellers to STILL be very unrealistic. have fun! I'm looking for a MOTIVATED seller like yourself to sell their home to me! Lolol!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM

335 posts, read 1,181,652 times
Hey cheleski,
I will sell you my house with curtains AND blinds. LOL
Liz

Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheleski68 View Post
congrats! i agree with you TOTALLY. IRONICALLY, as a potential buyer, I have had 2 contracts slapped down over stupid things like curtains...you will find sellers to STILL be very unrealistic. have fun! I'm looking for a MOTIVATED seller like yourself to sell their home to me! Lolol!
Would you provide the details of the negotiations over the curtains? I'm really interested in learning how deals fall apart over something like curtains.

What was the negotiated price of the home?
What was the value of the curtains?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate