U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-05-2008, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Ct Shoreline
369 posts, read 1,834,627 times
Reputation: 289

Advertisements

We made an offer through a buyers agent on a house in Lyme, Ct last Monday..New Year's Eve. The seller's agent presented it to them that night. To date, none of us, including their agent, has heard anything from them. Does this seem strange to anyone other than us? Our offer was lower than the asking price, but considering the amount of work it needs, we felt it was a fair one, as did our agent. What alternative do we have to just waiting it out? I find it very hard to believe their agent has heard nothing....but, who's to say. Thanks for listening.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Nine Mile Falls/Spokane, WA
998 posts, read 4,471,052 times
Reputation: 781
Did you put an expiration date for your offer? Has their agent given any explanation of why it's taking so long? Typically you should have some kind of response in 24-48 hours or a reason why they can't respond to the offer (out of town, just had surgery or having a baby, etc). In this market, I would think they'd be very excited to have an offer and would not run the risk of you withdrawing your offer. Your agent needs to be a little more persistent about calling the listing agent to find out the status of the offer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
1,177 posts, read 3,814,667 times
Reputation: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
We made an offer through a buyers agent on a house in Lyme, Ct last Monday..New Year's Eve. The seller's agent presented it to them that night. To date, none of us, including their agent, has heard anything from them. Does this seem strange to anyone other than us? Our offer was lower than the asking price, but considering the amount of work it needs, we felt it was a fair one, as did our agent. What alternative do we have to just waiting it out? I find it very hard to believe their agent has heard nothing....but, who's to say. Thanks for listening.
In Tennessee we put an expiration date in the offer. The seller must either accept, counter, or reject the offer in that time frame or the offer is null and void. Did your offer have an expiration date?
There is also the possibility that the seller was "insulted" by your offer(even though you thought it was fair), and decided not to respond. I do find it strange and hard to believe that their agent hasn't heard anything from them. This raises questions to me as to what is their agent's role in this. If your agent and their agent are unable to resolve this then your only option is to make an offer on another property.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 06:43 PM
 
Location: huh?
3,099 posts, read 2,166,267 times
Reputation: 504
usually there is a time limit on the offer but also there is an option of totally ignoring the offer so maybe that is why you havent heard?
sometimes if sellers arent interested in negotiating with you (because of low ball offer) their agent will tell them to just ignore the offer (not waste time).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 16,064,374 times
Reputation: 3698
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
Did you put an expiration date for your offer? Has their agent given any explanation of why it's taking so long? Typically you should have some kind of response in 24-48 hours or a reason why they can't respond to the offer (out of town, just had surgery or having a baby, etc). In this market, I would think they'd be very excited to have an offer and would not run the risk of you withdrawing your offer. Your agent needs to be a little more persistent about calling the listing agent to find out the status of the offer.
Definitely agree w/this.

Also, if the seller is "insulted", a bit of advice...your first offer is usually your best offer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Chaos Central
1,122 posts, read 3,774,638 times
Reputation: 899
I would think that the listing agent would have the common courtesy to respond, even if the seller rejected the offer. It wouldn't occur to me that a listing agent would simply ignore an offer altogether
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
35,521 posts, read 61,939,883 times
Reputation: 34898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I would think that the listing agent would have the common courtesy to respond, even if the seller rejected the offer. It wouldn't occur to me that a listing agent would simply ignore an offer altogether
That would be a legal instruction from the Seller, that the Listing Agent would have to comply with.

Not classy from the Seller, but legal.
I have pushed Sellers hard for a response before, but would have to comply if "No response" was the bottom line.

Within a North Carolina context, that is.
Also, I do not usually put a deadline on the offer.
It can be retracted verbally at any time.
Still in North Carolina, FWIW.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
 
Location: SW Austin & Wimberley
6,190 posts, read 15,901,043 times
Reputation: 5255
Quote:
What alternative do we have to just waiting it out?
Your agent can contact the listing agent's Broker and try to find out if a response will be coming. Your other option is to withdraw the offer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Knoxville
1,155 posts, read 3,060,229 times
Reputation: 366
In Tennessee, the listing agent is duty bound to present any offer to the seller, and with deadline given, a courtesy call explaining the sellers position is normal. I did a sell for a close friend, and the offer came in so low, it just made the seller mad and told me not to even respond with counter of any kind. So normally must people offer something less, as you never know what cushion if any was expected, and when a reasonable offer is made, you can always counter, if not too far apart.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 34,428,148 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
We made an offer through a buyers agent on a house in Lyme, Ct last Monday..New Year's Eve. The seller's agent presented it to them that night. To date, none of us, including their agent, has heard anything from them. Does this seem strange to anyone other than us? Our offer was lower than the asking price, but considering the amount of work it needs, we felt it was a fair one, as did our agent. What alternative do we have to just waiting it out? I find it very hard to believe their agent has heard nothing....but, who's to say. Thanks for listening.
Having trouble understanding the problem. They are not interested.

Send them a revocation of the offer. Do it formally.

If no response they are suggesting even more strongly they are not interested.

Go to Plan B.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top