Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 01:54 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

First of all I wasn't sure where to post this but we don't have a section to ask legal questions about thing so I thought I would try here, seeing that this falls under real estate.

So I got divorced a while back & my ex-wife owed me said amount of money once the house sold.
Well I got a message from her saying that she sold the house & she had to pay closing & such plus some repairs & that there was nothing to split. The contract also read she had two years to pay up OR put the house up for sale & give me want was owed. So now that the house is sold that because she had to pay closing cost & the repairs. The contract doesn't say that she doesn't get to pay me because she didn't make enough on the house. At this point I'm guessing I should get a lawyer correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 01:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Absolutely. Preferably the attorney you had when the divorce agreement was written.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Absolutely. Preferably the attorney you had when the divorce agreement was written.

That's the downside we drew it up ourselves & agreed to what was written. So we went to divorce court & let a judge handle it. But it still stands as far as I can gather she still owes me said amount.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So I got divorced a while back & my ex-wife owed me said amount of money once the house sold.
The contract also read she had two years to pay up OR put the house up for sale & give me want was owed.
Said amount = what?
It typically would have been a fixed dollar amount.
An amount based on an appraisal at that time less any known joint debt like the mortgage.
An equal or fixed percentage of the joint EQUITY at that time.

If the amount was subject to additional deductions (RE agent fees, closing, repairs, etc)...
then these should be listed rather specifically.

Quote:
At this point I'm guessing I should get a lawyer correct?
Yes. But you should have done that way back when.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
If the house is worth $100k and it cost her $10k in closing costs to sell it and she netted $0, why does she owe you anything? If you owned the house and sold it, would you want to be out the $10k in closing costs? She probably feels the closing costs are part of the "value" of the house and if it all nets $0, there is no money to give you.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
It probably depends on how the language in your 'agreement' is interpreted, versus the intent. In any case, the closing costs should at the very least be split between the two of you. What about Realtor fees (another 5-6% that should be split between the two of you. "Repairs" is so fuzzy that, unless this was clearly tied to the sale and pre-arranged, should probably not be your responsibility.

You didn't say how much $$money was involved and if it is really worth going after. However, it appears that after you paid ALL of the costs and fees out of your half -- she got whatever was left and there was 'nothing less to split.' Even if that is the case, she should, at the very least, pay for half of the closing costs repairs and Realtor fees ... by refunding that amount to you. (On a $250K? house, that is probably about $20K).

Old 01-02-2015, 03:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Well I got a message from her saying that she sold the house & she had to pay closing & such plus some repairs & that there was nothing to split. The contract also read she had two years to pay up OR put the house up for sale & give me want was owed. So now that the house is sold that because she had to pay closing cost & the repairs. The contract doesn't say that she doesn't get to pay me because she didn't make enough on the house. At this point I'm guessing I should get a lawyer correct?
The way this is computed, is Sales Price, less all selling costs, less any costs for repair etc. that are discovered by inspectors etc., less any costs to prepare the property for sale, which leaves the net proceeds from the sale.

Then the net proceeds are split between the two owners (you and your ex wife). If there is little equity in the property, not only is there often no money to split after the sale, but in some situations both sellers have to come up with some money to be able to close the sale of the property.

Quote:
The contract doesn't say that she doesn't get to pay me because she didn't make enough on the house.
You are right in that you are to get half of all the proceeds of the sale. But that is after the costs to sell the home are paid. What you want is for your ex to pay you out of her pocket. No attorney is going to try to get you money except half the money from the sale, after selling costs (including realtors fees and closing costs) and any money required to get the house sold such as repairs, etc.). If there are no net profits, there is nothing to split. You can demand that you be given a copy of the net paid to her at the closing after these things have been deducted, and any receipts for any repairs needed to sell the property, to prove there was nothing to split with you.

Remember, if there are no profits after all legitimate costs have been paid, there is nothing to split and getting an attorney involved will be more money out of your pocket.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:21 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Ask for a copy of the HUD-1 Statement. It will have the net proceeds from the house so you can verify that there is nothing to split.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:04 PM

This is the message that I got from her.

The house has sold. it sold for 105,000. I had to pay closing costs, realtor fees, and repairs on the hvac as well as some plumbing. I ended up bringing $2000 into it in order to sell the house. I am sorry but there is nothing to split.

Ok, Our agreement was that she had two years to give me so much money because I had put down the down payment on the house when we bought it. She had TWO years to give me the money she owes me from the sell of the house. Which she did list it but she didn't do much else but list it the house & let it sit on the market. Furthermore she didn't list it until a year after the divorce was final. so she really had only had it on the market for a year. So she was in no hurry to do so. We bought the house for $118,000 & I put $20,000 down on the house myself. The contract said that when the sell of the house was over she was supposed to give me $7,000. no, that's not a huge amount of money I've already lost $20,000 with what I put down on the house. I am trying to get so emotional about this but I feel she did whatever she could to get out of paying me any money.

Last edited by reed067; 01-02-2015 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 04:20 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
reed,
She didn't get any money out of the house.
Period.
Ask for a copy of the settlement papers listing expenses
if you don't believe her.
She can't give you what she didnt get BACK from the house.
You had a cheap divorce, didn't you?
Well, that is what you get with a cheap divorce, it's all in the divorce
papers.
You lost the down payment.
Get over it.
No judge is going to enter a judgement against her, you were MARRIED.
You both bought the house, that's the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate