Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna81 View Post
we just happened to be driving in the neighborhood

The kicker is that the deposit NON refundable.
You failed to notice the cruel joke that someone put a SUCKER sticker on your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
The fact that it is the standard Utah contract is most likely a very good thing. Next door, here in Idaho, our standard state contract is very neutral. I would hope that Utah's is as well. That is, has protections for both the buyer and seller. Some builders here insist on using their own contract, and it only protects the seller with almost no protections for the buyer.

I would hope that it would have wording in there somewhere that says the money is refundable in case of seller default, but if not, I'll say again, that is important to have.

Nonrefundable earnest money on new construction is a very normal thing. The more customized the house, the higher the percentage of non-refundable.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
That's a sizeable deposit. Are you asking for a lot of custom modifications to the house? Typically, when I help people buy new construction they have to put down a non-refundable deposit if they are asking the builder to deviate from his original plan.

The other thing I would say is that if you do agree to a non-refundable deposit I would recommend that you write into the contract that the deposit becomes refundable if it is the builder who defaults on the contract.
This. I agree with Mike that I'm not sure why you'd the builder would require that much of a deposit on a stock floor plan. Maybe it's just because that's what other buyers will give him without batting an eyelash

Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
The builder is probably thinking, "Ok, the price is down $300K from what I could probably sell it for if it was completed and sat on the market for a while, but, who knows? At least I'll make sure that I've got a firm sale and free-up the money I've already risked on this project, so I can safely start another one -- and get the bank to finance the rest."

You are probably thinking, "We've finally found the house we want and negotiated a great price -- and could spend another $250K if we walk away now. But, $250K is simply too much money to risk, on the possibility that something won't go wrong with the deal. What if the builder really botches something up and refuses to make it right; or what if the construction is delayed beyond our financing window?"

The reality is that your 'negotiation' didn't end with you getting the price you wanted. The builder is still 'negotiating' for the terms he wants. It's simply time to go back to the table and say, "OK, we got the price we wanted -- now what is it going to take to help you get what you want from this deal? ... since we both know that a $250K non-refundable deposit is unrealistic and not going to happen. Do you simply not want to sell this house? ... or is there another way that we can buy it --- and, at the same time, ensure that you achieve your goals?

Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
And what do you do when that builder takes your money, pays off his suppliers, files bankruptcy, and closes shop. Sue him? Cant get 250k out of a broke mans wallet....

Old 01-08-2015, 11:29 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The builder is probably thinking, "Ok, the price is down $300K from what I could probably sell it for if it was completed and sat on the market for a while, but, who knows? At least I'll make sure that I've got a firm sale and free-up the money I've already risked on this project, so I can safely start another one -- and get the bank to finance the rest."
That's just it--a Buyer should NOT be giving money to the builder under this situation. Instead, it should be placed into escrow and not paid to the builder until closing--after the builder has satisfactorily completed the house.

If a builder defaults on a contract to build a house, it's most likely due to the builder running into financial problems. And if a builder has financial troubles, good luck at getting any money back!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:33 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
And what do you do when that builder takes your money, pays off his suppliers, files bankruptcy, and closes shop. Sue him? Cant get 250k out of a broke mans wallet....
Exactly!

Of course, if a builder is going to file for bankruptcy, he's probably not going to pay off his suppliers and sub-contractors.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Exactly!

Of course, if a builder is going to file for bankruptcy, he's probably not going to pay off his suppliers and sub-contractors.
Which is why you insist on expanded title insurance. Even a reputable builder with no ill intentions could die in a car accident the day after closing, and not have paid 30-60 days worth of bills. If that happens, all those subcontractors will immediately lien the house. Get the proper title insurance to protect against that.

We pay for that for all homes we build, but if your builder doesn't, you really really should.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:05 PM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times
I'll take the other side
I think the 250K is reasonable from the builder's point of view.
On a 1.35M house, he's asking for a little less than 20% down

For that, he stops talking to other buyers.
Without it he takes a chance of you walking away.

Normally on less costly houses you put down 10% as "earnest " money
Non-refundable, unless you can break the contract under a contingency in the contract.
You walk away, you lose the 10%

Everything is up for negotiation
Get him down to 15%, $200,000
and put in a completion date
If he misses it (non-negotiable), you get 10,000 off the price for every day late.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:13 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
When my husband and I were planning to build a custom home a couple years ago, we were going to put $50K in escrow on a $250K build.

That's 20%.

(We opted not to build when our kids protested having to switch schools and leave their friends (even though we were building in the same town). We used the money we had saved to renovate and build an addition on our current home instead.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate