Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,559,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I'm in IL and used to hold a real estate license. I've also worked in the mortgage industry. FHA always requires termite inspections.
FHA does NOT always require a termite inspection! I reside in a house I purchased in Upstate NY with a FHA loan in 2012. No termite inspection was required nor was one done because termites aren't an issue in this area. A radon inspection was done at my request. It was NOT a requirement by anyone. There are pockets of radon issues here and there in the area due to our geology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,766,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
FHA does NOT always require a termite inspection! I reside in a house I purchased in Upstate NY with a FHA loan in 2012. No termite inspection was required nor was one done because termites aren't an issue in this area. A radon inspection was done at my request. It was NOT a requirement by anyone. There are pockets of radon issues here and there in the area due to our geology.
You are correct. When I did a FHA in Florida, it was required to inspect and fix any termite, wood rot and I think one other thing...something hurricane related before they would fund the loan.

Here in NC, nothing was required other than an appraisal.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
[color="RoyalBlue"]
Termites? We woke up one morning to sounds in the kitchen. A raccoon had broken through the screen and lifted up the window to get in. It threw appliances off the counters and opened the bread drawer. We found it sitting on the counter with the microwave hanging by the cord all the while it was eating the bread. And didn't want to leave the house. What will you do?
Maybe your raccoon is friends with me squirrel! We had one get down our chimney last winter. We started a fire in the fireplace in the living room. We're watching tv and chilling out with our dogs and cats. The next thing you know we here this ridiculous scratching noise. Sounded like nothing I've ever heard before. The next thing you know a freaking squirrel is climbing out the fireplace!! The thing runs around our living room, dining room, and kitchen. It runs over the couch, me, and one of the dogs.

The cats take off absolutely terrified at this evil thing running like a loon. The dogs start barking and freaking out. I bring both of them into our room and lock them in there so they don't eat it or get bit or scratched. Squirrels carry all kinds of great things - rabies and plague come to mind.

We open our vestibule and front doors. We try to force it to run outside. Yeah, that worked well. It literally climbed the kitchen walls above the microwave which is mounted over the stove! It took us over a half an hour to shoo it out the front door. Mind you, it was winter and we're in Upstate NY. It's flipping cold out and there's snow on the ground. Nothing like heating the outdoors!

Yeah that was a fun night! Gave us a great story.....and a minor heart attack.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The inspector botched it and missed the tubes. Most inspectors have a clause in their report that they are only liable for the cost of the home inspection and not anything else.
Since the tubes were found in a closet, is it possible they were under something? In my experience, inspectors don't usually go around moving everything out of a closet or emptying cabinets, rooms, etc. It's not like they were in plain sight in the middle of the living room floor.

The OP seems to be looking for any reason to hate this house and want out. Time to put those big boy pants on and grow up. You can't just get out when you own a house. There are a ton of obligations committed to. And he doesn't own it by himself. He needs to stop looking for issues and starting living!

Old 01-12-2015, 01:52 PM

15,536 posts, read 40,299,265 times
Quote:
Since the tubes were found in a closet, is it possible they were under something? In my experience, inspectors don't usually go around moving everything out of a closet or emptying cabinets, rooms, etc. It's not like they were in plain sight in the middle of the living room floor.
It's the same here. The inspectors don't move anything, but since they agreed they missed them, it makes me think they erred.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM

129 posts, read 188,647 times
I am just gonna sign it and move on.
Let them treat the termites they admitting to missing and then have nothing left to do with them. At this point I don't I would have a leg to stand on if I found anything else anyway.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:39 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,793,451 times
Quote:
Maybe your raccoon is friends with me squirrel! We had one get down our chimney last winter. We started a fire in the fireplace in the living room. We're watching tv and chilling out with our dogs and cats. The next thing you know we here this ridiculous scratching noise. Sounded like nothing I've ever heard before. The next thing you know a freaking squirrel is climbing out the fireplace!! The thing runs around our living room, dining room, and kitchen. It runs over the couch, me, and one of the dogs.

The cats take off absolutely terrified at this evil thing running like a loon. The dogs start barking and freaking out. I bring both of them into our room and lock them in there so they don't eat it or get bit or scratched. Squirrels carry all kinds of great things - rabies and plague come to mind.

We open our vestibule and front doors. We try to force it to run outside. Yeah, that worked well. It literally climbed the kitchen walls above the microwave which is mounted over the stove! It took us over a half an hour to shoo it out the front door. Mind you, it was winter and we're in Upstate NY. It's flipping cold out and there's snow on the ground. Nothing like heating the outdoors!

Yeah that was a fun night! Gave us a great story.....and a minor heart attack.
Could have been worse, much worse. I worked with someone whose neighbor had a similar situation except that when the squirrel fell into the fireplace its tail caught on fire before it ran under the sofa. Yup, the sofa caught on fire and half the house burned up before the FD came and put it out.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,557,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Could have been worse, much worse. I worked with someone whose neighbor had a similar situation except that when the squirrel fell into the fireplace its tail caught on fire before it ran under the sofa. Yup, the sofa caught on fire and half the house burned up before the FD came and put it out.
Did the squirrel survive?

Old 01-13-2015, 01:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,793,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Did the squirrel survive?
Until he was drowned in barbeque sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate