Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 07:24 PM

496 posts, read 445,400 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how common are houses with seven foot ceilings and is it an issue for many? I recently looked at a house and it had ceilings that I am pretty sure were seven feet tall, they were definitely lower than eight feet. The house seemed decent otherwise, but has been on the market for quite a while. I think the ceiling height could be the reason. The rooms just seemed closed in and the ceiling fans were very low as a result. I could barely walk around without bumping into the fans.

Is there anything that could be done to make them seem higher and would you avoid a house with low ceilings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I was wondering how common are houses with seven foot ceilings and is it an issue for many?
NOT common (outside of 17th century historic) and YES a big issue.

Quote:
Is there anything that could be done...
How's the roof? Starting over is about it (to me).
Tear it all off, add a pony wall. New trusses, roofing and of course drywall.

More trouble than it's worth even if the roof is shot.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Yes, I would definitely avoid a house with low ceilings because I am tall. I would feel claustrophobic and worry about hitting my head on the light fixtures.

On the other hand, a friend of mine who is unusually short loved renting a home with low ceilings. This was an unusual feature of the home that especially appealed to him for some reason. So while a house with 7 foot ceilings may be harder to sell, I don't think the situation is hopeless at all.

I have no idea what, if anything, would make them seem taller.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:25 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
There is an entire tract of maybe a 1000 homes around her built in the late 50's and the hallway ceilings are a little over 7' because the space above is used for the HVAC chase.

People always comment on the low ceilings...

Population continues to grow taller...

Old 01-08-2015, 08:27 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Run away. Quickly.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:38 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I personally hate even 8 foot ceilings and specifically avoided most 2 story homes for that reason. I also only looked for homes that had at least vaulted rooms and ended up with a a house on a hill with high (over 15 feet) ceilings in most of the rooms. I am very happy.

So that home you described? Heck no. But if you like the layout and the area. Ask to see the attic with a contractor. Get an estimate on how much it would be to do that job. Can't hurt.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
It all depends in the area. In old row homes, you may get low ceiling cause people dropped the height to avoid taking out the old work. Min 8ft is good but for narrow home, you may get away with 7.5'.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:55 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
I think it depends on the location of the low ceilings. Our home has ceilings that are at least 9 feet high on both the first and second floor. We have 7 foot high ceilings in the basement (its a 1946 build). The low ceilings in the basement were a negative for us when we bought it, purely from the standpoint that we couldn't put any exercise equipment down there, but we loved the rest of the house. Its really never been an issue since we lived there.

We looked at a house during our original househunt that was "renovated" (ie, poorly done) that had beams installed to make an open floor plan that allowed only 6.5 feet of headroom as you walked under the beam. If you were tall, you could hit your head walking from the living room to the kitchen. The basement had HVAC duct work boxed in with drywall that only had 6 feet of clearance. You could also hit your head walking up the stairs to the second floor. We didn't even consider that house even though it was priced to sell. My point is that an occassional low ceiling is not a big deal. An entire house of low ceilings, especially in main living areas, totally is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate