Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:04 PM

31 posts, read 55,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
We've actually done it, had a longer commute for a bigger house. Three times. Never again. We are in a smaller house and have a less than 10 minute drive to work. So much happier.

What good is a larger home with more land of you have less time to enjoy it let alone maintain it. I much rather have smaller house with a smaller yard and have more free time.
I am glad you are happier with your choice, thanks for answering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Short commute. We did the exurban thing for a couple of years, and everybody was miserable. Ended up moving close enough to bike to work in under ten minutes. What an improvement! We will never, ever go back.
Thanks for answering!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Short commute. We did the exurban thing for a couple of years, and everybody was miserable. Ended up moving close enough to bike to work in under ten minutes. What an improvement! We will never, ever go back.
Just curious what made exurban living so miserable for you? Thanks for your insights!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:12 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_the_Desert View Post
For a single person, I suppose a McMansion in the exurbs is unnecessary. But when you have a family, it's nice for everyone to have their own space where they can get me-time. Having a big yard provides privacy, and there's more room for trees and gardens, you can even grow veggies.
In our case, hubby was tired of missing everything with the kids during the week. Wasn't back in time for school functions and I was tired of being a "single" mom during the week. Sure I had a big house and acres, but I rather have hubby home. And not scrambling to do yard work and upkeep on the house in his free time. But it's different for everyone, there's no right or wrong, just what works for you and your family.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
In our case, hubby was tired of missing everything with the kids during the week. Wasn't back in time for school functions and I was tired of being a "single" mom during the week. Sure I had a big house and acres, but I rather have hubby home. And not scrambling to do yard work and upkeep on the house in his free time. But it's different for everyone, there's no right or wrong, just what works for you and your family.
Thank you for your insights! I certainly understand where you are coming from.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_the_Desert View Post
Just curious what made exurban living so miserable for you? Thanks for your insights!
Pretty much the same reasons momofthree shared. We were spending a hefty portion of our day commuting, which increased the wear and tear on our vehicles. When we added things up, it just seemed like we were throwing money after cars. it wasn't worth it.

I will also note that when I compare the appreciation of our exurban house and our new house, both of which are in the same metro area, the new house has seen a significantly larger increase over the same period. I think many people are figuring out that long commutes are wasted life energy and are seeking more accessible housing. This is a good thing for resale.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:20 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Depends on how brutal your commute is. Navigating the traffic in the Dallas area, a long commute would be a deal breaker. No way you can decompress in that type of traffic. Now if it was a long-ish drive through back country roads or fairly empty highways, it wouldn't be such an issue.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Depends on how brutal your commute is. Navigating the traffic in the Dallas area, a long commute would be a deal breaker. No way you can decompress in that type of traffic. Now if it was a long-ish drive through back country roads or fairly empty highways, it wouldn't be such an issue.
Thanks for answering! I can see how the commute itself would impact this answer.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:04 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
I've had the 1+ hour commute for the bigger house and yard in the nice neighborhood, and I wouldn't do it again.
The commute gets really old very quickly. I began to resent the time I wasted in my car.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Shorter commute. Whats the point of a larger house and yard if you don't have time to enjoy it. Plus I find commuting in traffic stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate