Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Those that truly aren't racist don't normally bring up race when it is a completely irrelevant point.
Even if they were, it doesn't matter anyway, because what's at issue is the disturbance. There is a law designed to protect renters called the "right to quiet enjoyment" of their rental unit. This means the tenants have the right to be able to live in a premises that is generally quiet and free from disturbances. Not all disturbances, but mostly a calm environment. But not only does it cover this, it also covers certain safety and security measures. However, OP has to take action to resolve the situation. Complaining on the message board and doing nothing to fix the problem isn't going to solve anything at all. Possible solutions to the problems include rent abatements and getting out of the lease, and possibly some others. Try discussing the situation with your landlord first if you don't want to call the cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadwell10201 View Post
Wow, you guys really know how to jump to conclusions. Since when does my wife sit in our living room with the windows wide open in winter? I mean, Come on people....If you read the whole thing you'd know the answer to that.

I love how on this forum everybody automatically jumps to the conclusion that the OP is an as*hole, "uptight" or is just generally scrutinized. Some how, it's ALWAYS the OPs fault. I just love to complain. Now suddenly I'm also racist! Who knew!

Now, I'm being mocked and made fun of. Cool.

Oh, my bad. My post was also too long after I said it was going to be short.

I just have to say, since when do rednecks live in the middle of a city? I'm in Massachusetts not Alabama.

Hmm, not really sure what I was expecting on a forum....I'm not even going to continue on this because I think this thread has turned really immature and stupid and I just don't care to check back on it.

Now go ahead, reply.. because we all know you'll all reply considering you have nothing better to do with your lives.
You're the one complaining. And you're the one who knew you were moving to a bad area in the first place.

Move. Or put up with it.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You're the one complaining. And you're the one who knew you were moving to a bad area in the first place.

Move. Or put up with it.
And to a place that is essential free.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Wow, you guys really know how to jump to conclusions. Since when does my wife sit in our living room with the windows wide open in winter? I mean, Come on people....If you read the whole thing you'd know the answer to that.

I love how on this forum everybody automatically jumps to the conclusion that the OP is an as*hole, "uptight" or is just generally scrutinized. Some how, it's ALWAYS the OPs fault. I just love to complain. Now suddenly I'm also racist! Who knew!

Now, I'm being mocked and made fun of. Cool.

Oh, my bad. My post was also too long after I said it was going to be short.

I just have to say, since when do rednecks live in the middle of a city? I'm in Massachusetts not Alabama.

Hmm, not really sure what I was expecting on a forum....I'm not even going to continue on this because I think this thread has turned really immature and stupid and I just don't care to check back on it.

Now go ahead, reply.. because we all know you'll all reply considering you have nothing better to do with your lives.
In case you missed it: I would call the crime tip line. That way you don't have to identify yourself. (You had expressed concern about calling the police due to you being the only one within vicinity)

Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM

579 posts, read 522,263 times
Heh!

"Tripledecker" told me immediately that you were in Massachusetts or maybe RI.

So I'm curious. New Bedford/Fall River or Dorchester/HydePark/Mattapan? Somerville?

Sounds like a chop shop for sure. The RI/Boston corridor has traditionally been chop shop territory. Used to be run by the mob. Back in the late 80's and early 90's it was Jeep Cherokees that were the top car for theft in Boston. Boosted in Boston, chopped in R.I.

If they are transporting cars over the state line that might justify the feds. But wait for now because there's no criminal activity happening.

So since it's winter I'd take a subtler approach.

I would go on some local Honda lover message boards or even Wicked Local city boards and start outing them. "Hey if you're looking for your stolen Honda, I know where it is." Actually post their address. Someone on those boards will be related to or know someone who has been affected by them and they will call the cops and/or insurance companies to complain.

Contacting every insurance company in a mass mailing might help as well. Now they would put pressure on authorities to check it out.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:23 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I wouldn't call the cops or code enforcement. One of them, or one of their friends or family might work for the police or code enforcement agency. They will have you details and they'll know it's you that snitched. They might take it out on your Grandpa for many years in the future by doing things to his property or causing more ruckus just to get back at him/you. You can move to remove the nuisance, but your Grandpa owns the property so you don't want to cause future problems for him.

Just move. You have a few months. Find another place to live before it gets warm enough for them to start their outdoor activities again.

Keep in mind it's possible that they are renters and maybe they'll move. But you cannot control that.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:06 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
I didn't jump to any conclusions. I was confused and that's why I asked a question. And I gave you some advice you asked for.

In Post #5 you said the guy across the street used his snow blower at night and in the very next sentence said your wife sat with the windows wide open - no mention of summer.

I read the whole thing but it wasn't any more clear that these were two separate situations. It was sloppy writing and I, of course, misunderstood it.

Is the whole world out to get you? Can you tell a supportive response from a negative one?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I wouldn't call the cops or code enforcement. One of them, or one of their friends or family might work for the police or code enforcement agency. They will have you details and they'll know it's you that snitched. They might take it out on your Grandpa for many years in the future by doing things to his property or causing more ruckus just to get back at him/you. You can move to remove the nuisance, but your Grandpa owns the property so you don't want to cause future problems for him.

Just move. You have a few months. Find another place to live before it gets warm enough for them to start their outdoor activities again.

Keep in mind it's possible that they are renters and maybe they'll move. But you cannot control that.
Yeah, since you brought it up, I didn't want to say too much but, yes, terrible retribution can happen. Don't even give them a bad look.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Even if they were, it doesn't matter anyway, because what's at issue is the disturbance. There is a law designed to protect renters called the "right to quiet enjoyment" of their rental unit. This means the tenants have the right to be able to live in a premises that is generally quiet and free from disturbances. Not all disturbances, but mostly a calm environment. But not only does it cover this, it also covers certain safety and security measures. However, OP has to take action to resolve the situation. Complaining on the message board and doing nothing to fix the problem isn't going to solve anything at all. Possible solutions to the problems include rent abatements and getting out of the lease, and possibly some others. Try discussing the situation with your landlord first if you don't want to call the cops.
In the OP it was stated that they were living in an apartment of a triple decker (triplex in Texas) and their grandfather owns the building. Also, the noisy neighbors are not in that building but across the street, so talking to their "landlord" (the grandfather that is letting them live in an apartment in the building he owns/lives in) isn't going to do any good any more than asking your own landlord to control the people who own the house across the street would.

Did you read the OP?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
I would very discreetly record some of the goings on and post them on YouTube from some public WiFi hotspot, using an unidentifiable, untraceable newly-created account. Just make sure you take the videos from a point-of-view OTHER than your building, like, say from a car parked on the street, somewhat away from your building.

Get some email addresses from codes enforcement, law enforcement, and your city council and send them the YouTube links to the videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate