Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:53 PM

729 posts, read 1,313,048 times

Advertisements

Something else to be aware of: we spoke with a rep for a company building in a community. The price quoted for the house was XXX; however, they charged a lot premium of between $9,3000 to $20,000; then when we received a written quote, there was also a $9,300 charge for lot elevation, thereby increasing the cost of the house by almost $20K before even looking at upgrades. Now, that may be industry standard as we've not ever considered a new house, but I thought it was not on the up and up, didn't like it at all. And, I told the rep that I thought it was somewhat dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,017,875 times
Yep. That's how it works industry wide. My lot had a premium for being a corner lot, but we went with the base elevation. Different elevations ranged anywhere from $8k - $12k more. We negotiated the lot premium to eliminate it, but this is standard practice in all communities and across all builders. It's kind of like buying a car. The "starting at" price is to get you in the door. Your actual price might be $10 - $20k or more than the base price depending on the vehicle and options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Something else to be aware of: we spoke with a rep for a company building in a community. The price quoted for the house was XXX; however, they charged a lot premium of between $9,3000 to $20,000; then when we received a written quote, there was also a $9,300 charge for lot elevation, thereby increasing the cost of the house by almost $20K before even looking at upgrades. Now, that may be industry standard as we've not ever considered a new house, but I thought it was not on the up and up, didn't like it at all. And, I told the rep that I thought it was somewhat dishonest.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,416,047 times
The lots in front of the community park are 30k premium where I live.

Also, make sure the builder has a radon inspection and test completed. I would recommend a short term and long term test.

There is some new construction that have problems passing radon test. It can be very expensive in money and health if you find out about the problem later down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate