Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:27 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times

Advertisements

I thought a realtor was supposed to disclose this kind of thing, maybe they did .
Years ago looking for what would be my last owned home this old cowboy realtor took us to this BIG beautiful 60's type ranch style house , cool angles to it lots of glass . Gorgeous .

We were not familiar with this particular neighborhood until I realized I remembered hearing about this area and this house on the news . It was a funeral home , where one embalmer killed another embalmer, went on the run . Meanwhile the deceased embalmer went herself to a funeral him back in town in Houston and was STOLEN out of the casket by the embalmer that had killed her .
The police chased but lost this guy and days later found him with her at the kitchen table ( dead and embalmed ) just sitting there having a conversation with her. I passed like BIG TIME. Mom and I had mentioned earlier that the air seemed heavy and we didn't know then. The cowboy realtor kept trying to sell it, even telling me ALL the embalming equipment left behind would be great for cleaning a deer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was serious .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:18 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
My house is way over 100 years old, so odds are there have been tons of deaths. The only one I know for sure, is a baby died in the kitchen. There's also a body sized memorial (hopefully) stone at the bottom of my front steps. Its really, really old, late 1800's. Most of the words are worn down, but its for a woman. It looks like a regular grave. I haven't seen any ghosts or heard any OOOHOOOH's.

I agree with the poster who mentioned the clean up. I'd have to make sure there wasn't any "stuff" left behind. If everything had been replaced, I'd consider buying it if the inspection went well.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
How do you know? Realtors will often hide this fact, or try to.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
When I was first married, we bought a house for a great price and later learned that the previous owners both died in the house. We did not ask how they died. I was young, and prone to believing in ghosts, so when I was in the basement, and distinctly heard what sounded like people walking across the floor upstairs, I was pretty confused - especially since I was alone in the house. When my father was visiting, we were downstairs and he heard the same thing - the sound of someone walking across the floor upstairs ... we were both confused, and clearly not imagining things. Eventually, I was pretty spooked about the house, and decided that I had to believe that they were kind ghosts if I was going to continue living there. I had terrific nightmares, which I had never had before that time, and have never had since. One night, I had one of those hallucinating dreams (too real, but still a dream) where there was an elderly woman standing next to my bed promising me "doom and gloom" for the remainder of my life. Doom and gloom was not a phrase that was in my vocabulary.

It's fun to think about ghosts, but it's not so much fun to be alone in a house and hear or see things that cannot be ... but as a rational person, I know it was my imagination.

Another weird thing about the house was that there was a closet that no one could open, although everyone had tried. The house was being sold with a closet that didn't open. I didn't know this when we looked at the house prior to purchase, but when I tried the closet, it opened right up. The previous owner then cleared out all the treasures before we took ownership.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
The previous owner shot himself in the head in the master bedroom.
That would bother me. I'd pass.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
That would bother me. I'd pass.
Even though I'm so much more mature, and know better than to believe in ghosts, and love a great deal on a house purchase, I would go into the house alone, close my eyes, and think about what I'm feeling. If I feel nothing, then I would buy the house. If I feel something ... like standing in the basement not just once, but a couple of times, and listening.

I'd want to be sure that the person that shot himself in the head did not have a lingering trace in the house or under the floorboards.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post

The problem with suicides is that they often don't cross over. You don't want that energy hanging around, as it can cause serious problems down the line, but the house will be fine if you get it taken care of.

Why don't suicides cross over? Curious.

To the OP, if you have to ask, you are probably having second thoughts.

I don't think I could do it.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
One other thought, have you flat out asked the seller if there is any paranormal activity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
unless it has ghosts you are all good
If there are verifiable ghosts then you should definitely buy. You'd be the first person in the world with them and that would be worth millions. There are multiple television shows where people don't find any compelling evidence of ghosts. Imagine how much they'd pay for a house with actual ghosts.

If there aren't ghosts, then you need to only worry about what you think of a violent suicide in the house and what you think future buyers might think. There is certainly some stigma, so make sure to get a discount.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:17 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Think about it this way: if you don't buy it will the house sit empty or be torn down? No, of course not. So why pass on a house you like for some superstitious belief?

Old 01-24-2015, 07:40 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Think about it this way: if you don't buy it will the house sit empty or be torn down?
Maybe not in this case, but some stigmatized houses sit empty...and some are actually torn down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate