Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:40 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times

Advertisements

Wow! Just really sloppy workmanship (sic). I would go through the entire house with an external expert (architect/builder/contractor) and see what else was skimped/'overlooked'/done improperly/shoddy. If the builder is arguing that the tile was "okay", and is "minor", then what did he allow to slip through that is "major"?

Lennar has reputation for building low quality homes....similar to Eldan or Ryan. Don't let them get away with sticking you with poor quality materials and workmanship in your new house.

Do Not Make final payments until everything is acceptable to you. Don't be bullied. Don't accept the "but we have a ten year warranty which protects you" crap. Insist that it is done correctly before you close and move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:01 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
OP, is your 3 point construction inspection with a Lennar inspector, or one you are paying independently?

Do you have a Realtor representing you?

Who in this transaction is 100% looking out for your interests?

Think about that for a bit......you are purchasing the most expensive investment of your life (or close to it), are you treating it with the respect it deserves? Hire an outside inspector to accompany these 3 points.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Personally, it wouldn't bother me. Once its grouted and finished it wont be noticeable. But if your the type of person that this will drive you crazy, it will only bother you more as the years go by.

Simply ask him to fix it BEFORE its grouted and finished. Its soooo much more work to ask to have it fixed before its finished. Dont wait until everything is done, then ask them to tear it up, that makes no sense.

That said...... its kinda sloppy. You simply cant find good help these days. Putting the molding on, then tiling makes no sense in new construction. I'd hire my own home inspector now for $300 to look at the place before everything is covered up then have him come back when its finished to inspect again. Who the heck knows what other BIG things they are messing up if they cant get the simple stuff right.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You won't hate it when you have to clean it. I had a house with light beige grout. Even with shoe removal I had to have someone come clean it. Darker grout for me from now on.
I've had both; the lighter one can be sealed so it won't stain. I rather use travertine or something that doesn't need grout. Grout is ugly as hell especially on lighter colored tiles.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
Tile was measured and cut incorrectly.

No competent tradesperson with ethics would have placed it there. Should have been tossed into the scrap pile and re-cut.

Bigger issue is your tiles do not appear parallel / square with the corner. maybe the wall or island is built poorly ?

I would think this is a remodel by looking at your pic as the floor board / wall trim kicker looks beat to ****. My house is 20 years old and none of my trim boards are that beat up.

Just tell him you don't like that piece. Should be an easy fix to plop another cut tile down there and everyone is happy.

If their attention to detail is that poor ... I would keep an eye out for other issues as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Not too picky at all for a house you're having built. It's a brown M&M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate