Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
It's the same concept as the "trailer park"....
No it's not. Although they are not permitted in many areas, for those who choose to live in tiny houses they are not "playhouses".

As someone who has lived in larger houses, I would welcome the freedom of living in a tiny house out in the woods...well, at least for a little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:29 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
I'd get a sprinter camper like one of these. Not as hip but potentially more functional.

I think there is something to be said about having a self contained unit. Definitely depends on what your plans are though.

Four Winds Chateau Citation Sprinter class C motorhome review - Roaming Times

Old 01-30-2015, 09:36 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
I think you and I are defining RV differently. An RV can be a small trailer pulled by a regular vehicle and unhitched for long periods of time.

Trailers are more light weight than tiny houses, unless you go with a much larger one. If you only move the trailer as much as you would move the tiny house, you would consume much less fossil fuel.

I think the Tiny House movement appeals to people like you, and even me, because it feeds our need for self-sufficiency and being green. It's kind of hip right now, too. As I have investigated it, it just hasn't seem to work out financially, especially if you don't build it yourself using reclaimed materials.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:41 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Tiny houses aren't built with sanitation/ water services compatible with RV parks. They're built to be towed on wheels to a permanent place and then hooked up to local municipal water/sewer/electric. You would have to see how you could overcome that first.

They are not to many places where you can have people living in an RV or tiny house legally in your driveway. That may very well violate zoning code. Don't think for a second that some busy body neighbor won't turn you in. Once again, what do you do about sanitation/ water/electric for your tiny house parked in a driveway ?

What does a tiny house/plus trailer weigh ? How big a vehicle do you need to tow it? Not your regular car for sure. See link which talks about towing a tiny house- you need a truck- there's goes your cheap carbon footprint

Towing A Tiny House

Tiny houses are cute, but IMO they're not designed or suitable for what you want.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't see a thread for this (not surprisingly) but, as a single childless woman approaching early retirement who wants to see the country, this sounds like an amazing option. Anyone out there?

I'm with you on wanting to explore the country in retirement.

An RV is better I believe as the tiny houses are beautiful but not really meant to travel all over due to their ergonomics. I believe they would cost much more to travel with. I think they are great if you want to stay in one place for a year or so and then move without the hassle but I'm not sure about regular travel.

PS most campgrounds won't take them so be sure to do some research on that!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:02 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
OMG, I know that little white house, it's in Toronto on Craven or Rhodes Avenue (can't remember which)!!! Wow!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Demon View Post
These are NOT LEGAL living space in many areas of the country. It's a playhouse....and a waste of $$$ that could be used on a down payment on a home that is legal and CAN BE RESOLD as living space.

These "trailers" are not investments..... they are liabilities. A fad, at best.
They would not code in our township.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I think a lot of the scoffing is due to our modern McMansion mentality. If you can afford more, of course you'll WANT more, right? Wrong! We would all do well to downsize, simplify, and leave a smaller footprint. Do we all need -- or want -- a huge lawn around a free-standing house? Uh, no (I, for one, think lawns are perfectly ridiculous). But it's going against the grain, and there will always be people -- even townships -- threatened by that.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think a lot of the scoffing is due to our modern McMansion mentality. If you can afford more, of course you'll WANT more, right? Wrong! We would all do well to downsize, simplify, and leave a smaller footprint. Do we all need -- or want -- a huge lawn around a free-standing house? Uh, no (I, for one, think lawns are perfectly ridiculous). But it's going against the grain, and there will always be people -- even townships -- threatened by that.
In our township if you bought enough land to have a house........the site improvements.....drive-way......well.....septic system......and electric will run over $35,000.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:02 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I'm in Florida and we see a fairly significant increase in people from elsewhere coming here in all different types of RVs for the winter. I remember a few years ago being curious about it and checking to see what it cost for a month. IIRC, it was about a $1000/month for a location that I would consider good enough that I would do it. ;-)

We rented one of those self-contained RVs for a week and drove around UT and CO, hitting a number of scenic areas. It was a load of fun and I think I could live in something similar, especially if it is only one person. I think it is a great idea for the right person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate