Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:16 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times

Advertisements

In the travel subforum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,858 times
Typically they are called "park models". They are a cross between a manufactured home and an RV. They aren't meant to be moved much - once a year at most. They are great for private lakes, some resorts and retirement communities where you rent the lot and can hook on to a septic and water. If you don't like the lot or get bored you can move on.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:26 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,408,664 times
I think your biggest challenge would be finding a suitable place to park any vehicle for that length of time. Public campgrounds usually won't allow for extended stays, and private campgrounds oftentimes leave a lot to be desired. (Neither would be suitable for my tastes.) Maybe you could find something more remote and aesthetically pleasing, but that will take some searching.

Given the cost of most campgrounds, it might be better to find a small cottage which you could rent. It sure would be a lot easier than getting a truck to haul around a tiny house.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:34 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
I don't see a thread for this (not surprisingly) but, as a single childless woman approaching early retirement who wants to see the country, this sounds like an amazing option. Anyone out there?
Tiny houses on wheels, are not made to travel all over the country. Motor homes, are build for long distance travel.

If you want to just be able to move on a more local basis, you want a Tiny House or what is known as a Park Model which is a small house on wheels that you can park in a mobile home park.

If you want to see the country look to motor homes or travel trailers, that are built to travel. The method of construction is different and stronger. They don't shake apart driving mile after mile. They are also aerodynamic, and handle the wind and are designed to help them go down the road on a lot less gas than the cute Tiny House, which is on wheels so it can be moved around on a local basis to change R.V. parks, etc.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:55 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,364 times
As others have mentioned, the tiny house is not meant to be moved around like it's an RV.

However, the reason they are built on wheels at all, is to get them classified as an RV. This effectively circumvents local building and zoning codes. You can park an RV in a lot more places than you can build a permanent tiny house.

If you really want to be a nomad, a used airstream is a better, and usually much more inexpensive option.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I guess I was bedazzled by that book, "Tiny Homes on the Move"; it looks like quite the doable lifestyle there, and some amazing work! But it appears to require more research.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:18 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Just for fun, check out the Airstream website. Airstream USA, Airstream Travel Trailer, Silver Bullet | Airstream There are models with 365 degree views and connections to the Airstream community that is extensive. A few years ago, they had some sort of Jamboree or something in Sarasota and there were models of all different designs and ages. I think it would be a very cool way to live for someone like you. I'd want to move every few months, though, just to see as much as I could. Plus, you have a car so you aren't like a hermit crab dragging your home with you everywhere you go, like some RVs.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM

The Airstream Sport model is cute and would qualify as "tiny." Thanks.

UPDATE: sticker shock (nearly $50k used).

Here we go; this is more my style -- and price: http://www.rvt.com/Shasta-Airflyte-1...campaign=oodle

Last edited by otterhere; 01-30-2015 at 03:49 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 03:57 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The Airstream Sport model is cute and would qualify as "tiny." Thanks.

UPDATE: sticker shock (nearly $50k used).

Here we go; this is more my style -- and price: 2015 Shasta Airflyte 16, Travel Trailers RV For Sale in Ringgold (Danville), Virginia | RV Outlet USA RVSA5084 | RVT.com - 38609
I know, right?

I know they are well built, but the interior becomes dated like everything else. And they don't have pop-outs. I don't see what the big lure is.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:28 PM

With the Shasta or the Airstream? I've wanted a B&W checkerboard floor my entire life, LOL.

This DOES seem like a more practical option than the Tiny House, however charming those may be.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate