Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 05:27 PM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times

Advertisements

There's like 5 RVs parked on his property 24/7 and now he's built a dirt track with bunch of kids riding around on loud dirt bikes all day. I think they live in those RVs.

Is this illegal and how do I go about reporting it? This is a rural area so not sure about the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Pay a visit to your local county planning office. Bring a couple snapshots of your issue for good measure.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Check it out harder. They may be staying in the RVs only on weekends...does that make a difference in zoning. Are they using them to store dirt bikes only and drive up in vehicles? Or always there.

Sorry. I have an very small idea of your pain. I visited a great home in a small community of homes in different personal styles on very large lots on a large ridge near mountain tops. Great natural location away from it all. Wellll. At my current home (not away from it all) we don't hear dogs barking non stopdownhill a couple miles away, itching to get out and hunt. At my current home, we don't hear the sawing from what they are doing at the nearby working farm over a mile away from the house.

Life in the boonies can be nerve wracking. Add to my list of precautions. Keep us updated.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Including your location in your info would be helpful here.

My guess would be probably not illegal. If he's on a piece of property big enough for 5 RVs and a dirt track, it might be prefectly fine. If he's renting those spaces out, that may change things. If you can get online and get property info, sometimes you can find zoning info along with the owner's name, address, etc. Between the parcel number, address, and zoning info you should be able to get an answer pretty easily.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Then again, there may not be any zoning ordinances at all. Where I live, we are out of town - out of any town limit - and there are no ordinances, no need for permits, etc. The only laws are state laws and a few county laws that mostly have to deal with the roads and needing approval for a driveway (because of water runoff issues). We don't need to get approval for any building or remodeling. If we want to add a trailer to the property or rent out tent spaces, there's no one to say we cannot.

I suspect, OP, that you are in a similar situation and there is nothing you can do about any of it - so long as there's no meth lab or other illegal drug use/growing/manufacture.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:16 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
May want to check out the sewer situation. In many areas, you can only have so many bedrooms per septic system.

Relative built a home on some property she owned in the country. County ordinance required certain size septic system for so many bedrooms. This included bedrooms of any RV she had hooked up to this septic system.

She did the perk test, had the system designed, and during the installation wanted to install a line so she could hook up an RV there for when her friends came to visit. That's when she found out about needing to have a larger system if she wanted to hook any more bedrooms up to it.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
check out state regs for septic requirements in some areas. Counties MAY have more stringent laws, but many counties it's only the state regs governing septic.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
May want to check out the sewer situation. In many areas, you can only have so many bedrooms per septic system.

Relative built a home on some property she owned in the country. County ordinance required certain size septic system for so many bedrooms. This included bedrooms of any RV she had hooked up to this septic system.

She did the perk test, had the system designed, and during the installation wanted to install a line so she could hook up an RV there for when her friends came to visit. That's when she found out about needing to have a larger system if she wanted to hook any more bedrooms up to it.
There is a strong possibility that they don't hook up to the sewer system, but run the RVs down to a dump station in town to empty hold tanks.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I think I would go to your township board........they should know the codes.

I live 35 miles from town way in the sticks and our township has a lot of codes.

One is a noise rule.......after 11PM.......that is county wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate