Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:43 AM

40 posts, read 44,258 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Trying to see a house in our price range in the neighborhood we like in PA, but the tenants currently living there aren't responding. So what ends up happening is the morning of the showing my agent tells me (via email) we can't see house 1, but we can see 2, 3 and 4. The other thing frustrating me is my agen't doesnt tell me this until the day of, and since there is a 24 hour tenant notification requirement, its too late. And we have to drive 1.5 hours each way. I called my agent to see if the house will be ready to show tomorrow and he said no, so I told him to cancel the other showings until I can see house 1. Is there anything my agent or I can do to get a tenant off their butts? Apparently the selling agent says the tenants have a reputation for being a pain.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM

203 posts, read 327,645 times
You may want to consider if you even want to deal with the hassle of purchasing a house with uncooperative tenants. They obviously don't want to accept that the house is being sold and they may try to cause as much trouble as possible on the way out. They don't own the home so they have no incentive to take care of it, plus I've seen renters destroy homes because they were pissed that they had to move out, then they run away and it takes forever to rectify the situation. If I were you I'd just cross that house off the list and move on.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 AM

460 posts, read 1,004,578 times
What if you like house # 2,3 or 4 and you didn't take a look at it until it was too late and missed a good opportunity. If I were you, I would look at as many other houses as you could, and if house # 1 happens to be available for viewing, then fine, but if not, oh well, there are other choices.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:04 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
How far in advance are you asking the agent to show you the properties? Is it at least 2-3 days in advance? With most properties you might not need that much lead time, but with tenants in there the more lead time the better. It sounds like the agent isn't telling you it can't be seen until the day of the showing because he and the listing agent are hoping the tenants respond. That seems reasonable to me.

Your agent needs to get on the phone with the listing agent and let him/her know you are very interested in the property. Then the listing agent needs to inform the sellers of the problem. The sellers in turn need to notify the tenants that the property WILL be shown with 24 hours notice whether they respond or not, provided this is what is in the lease. (just hope they don't have pets).

That said, what do you know about the current lease? Are you looking to move into the property or is this an investment? In most locations current leases must be followed by new owners. You won't be able to force the tenants out of a lease early or change it in any way.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 PM

40 posts, read 44,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
How far in advance are you asking the agent to show you the properties? Is it at least 2-3 days in advance? With most properties you might not need that much lead time, but with tenants in there the more lead time the better. It sounds like the agent isn't telling you it can't be seen until the day of the showing because he and the listing agent are hoping the tenants respond. That seems reasonable to me.

Your agent needs to get on the phone with the listing agent and let him/her know you are very interested in the property. Then the listing agent needs to inform the sellers of the problem. The sellers in turn need to notify the tenants that the property WILL be shown with 24 hours notice whether they respond or not, provided this is what is in the lease. (just hope they don't have pets).

That said, what do you know about the current lease? Are you looking to move into the property or is this an investment? In most locations current leases must be followed by new owners. You won't be able to force the tenants out of a lease early or change it in any way.
Gave my agent a list of properties 5 days ago. He's not very communicative and seemed irritated that i asked if there was anything else I could do to push the issue. The part about telling the selling agent we are very interested is what I was looking for. It's what I assumed would be the next step but I have no idea what my agent's plans are and I'm sure I'll have to be the one to reach out to him to hear anything.

Good point about the current lease. We are looking to move there ourselves but could consider it an investment if the price is right. We aren't really in a rush to buy either, and since this house looks to have everything we want at a great price, we are willing to wait and see what happens with this one before moving on to other properties that dont seem as good of a fit with our particular desires in a property. Plus the long drive is getting old.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:25 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
You may want to consider if you even want to deal with the hassle of purchasing a house with uncooperative tenants. They obviously don't want to accept that the house is being sold and they may try to cause as much trouble as possible on the way out. They don't own the home so they have no incentive to take care of it, plus I've seen renters destroy homes because they were pissed that they had to move out, then they run away and it takes forever to rectify the situation. If I were you I'd just cross that house off the list and move on.
This.

I once moved into a rental where the prior tenants didn't want to move out, but also didn't want to sign a new lease when theirs expired. They trashed the place on their way out. As a renter, I didn't have to deal with the repairs but I know they cost the landlord a pretty penny.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:58 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Normally, the tenant doesn't need to reponse. By law the tenant only needs advance notice of the showing. The tenant doesn't have a choice and must allow the showing. However, it's possible the landlord setup something else with the tenant and is allowing tenant to agree of showings. Though this isn't required per landlord tenant law in most states, it might be something the landlord allows,possibly if the tenant has pets, etc.

Does the showing specify that the tenant needs to be notified - or does it require a response from tenant as well? Otherwise just notify and go to the showing. If tenant doesn't answer then agent uses key to access as long as tenant was notified.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Normally, the tenant doesn't need to reponse. By law the tenant only needs advance notice of the showing. The tenant doesn't have a choice and must allow the showing. However, it's possible the landlord setup something else with the tenant and is allowing tenant to agree of showings. Though this isn't required per landlord tenant law in most states, it might be something the landlord allows,possibly if the tenant has pets, etc.

Does the showing specify that the tenant needs to be notified - or does it require a response from tenant as well? Otherwise just notify and go to the showing. If tenant doesn't answer then agent uses key to access as long as tenant was notified.

Laws might vary from State to State.

Uncooperative tenants are an occasional occupational hazard - regardless of whether it's for a rental or a sale. Some tenants don't want to be disturbed, others are upset about leaving or want to get back at the landlord/owner for one reason or another. As a result, many times the property will sit because it can't be shown

In most cases, it's easiest to move on.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I think the OP said the property is in PA where entry is by consent unless an emergency or pursuant to a government agency order to enter. I think it was addressed on CD's Renting forum that tenants can just keep refusing. The landlord can go to court and ask a Judge to grant entry in the interest of justice, but absent an emergency or court order, the tenant can keep saying no.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:31 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
A landlord in PA can go into their rental property once a year after notifying the tenant 24 hrs in advance. Doesn't matter if the tenant is there or agrees to it. It's the law.
Since I'm assuming in this case it's the landlord that wants to sell, you might have to go this route.

and you might have a talk with your realtor. There's enough of them around. If he or she isn't playing nice, get another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate