Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,291 times

Advertisements

We are on the verge of losing the buyer for our mountain home due to the appraisal. Our home is a duplex and the appraiser only valued our home based on ONE of the two units...they completely left out the square footage, including the extra kitchen and 3 additional bedrooms.

What recourse do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 02:12 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default It is really the BUYER'S duty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR134 View Post
We are on the verge of losing the buyer for our mountain home due to the appraisal. Our home is a duplex and the appraiser only valued our home based on ONE of the two units...they completely left out the square footage, including the extra kitchen and 3 additional bedrooms.

What recourse do I have?
I would have your listing agent contact the Buyer's agent with this article and strongly encourage the agents to work together -- Low Appraisal Killing a Deal? Here

Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,291 times
I wish it was just "low"...this is flat out wrong and the buyers want to walk. I can refuse to let them out of the contract until the new appraisal is completed, right?

Old 02-03-2015, 03:26 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
Contact your agent and have them contact the buyer's agent. The buyer's agent can then contact the lender and explain the situation. Do it now.

The lender will have to look over their paperwork and check to see how they ordered the appraisal. Could just be a screw up in ordering. If they ordered a single family appraisal then perhaps that is why the appraiser only appraised one unit. If they ordered a multi, both would have been done.

Important- Has the buyer seen the appraisal- is it on the single family or multi family form? If it's on the multi form but only valuing half the duplex, then the appraiser screwed up. If it's on the single family form, something else is going on.

Without knowing how your deed is written or how the the property is classified, I can't know what you're going to sell. In some cases, duplexes can be sold separately ( one half or the other) . Somewhere along the line, someone may think only half of your property is being transferred.

The appraisal has to match what the lender has in their paperwork. If it's a multi family transaction, then the lender needs to order a multi family appraisal. If the lender is processing it as a single family, then that has to be fixed.

So you need to check the appraisal report and then with the lender. In a case like yours, a new appraisal can be ordered.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:32 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR134 View Post
I wish it was just "low"...this is flat out wrong and the buyers want to walk. I can refuse to let them out of the contract until the new appraisal is completed, right?
You need to read your contract, but I highly doubt you can refuse to release them from the contract.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
It appears that the appraiser only appraised one side as if it was half of a condo, probably due to being ordered with only one of the addresses used. You can ask for the appraisal by that appraiser to be adjusted as the sale is both units as one sale, not one unit as sold separately.

On the other hand, is it a legal duplex, or just a house that was split into two units without city/county approval, etc.? If it is not a legal duplex, then you cannot sell it as a duplex as it is not going to be appraised as a duplex.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:22 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,613,201 times
There must be something going on with lenders and appraisors the last few months or so. I know lenders have them on the wheel of fortune so the appraisor can not show favoritism but there are some ridiculous things going on. Totally off prices, I guess spacey/very young? appraisors who take one look at the hall ceiling for the attic steps and if they are not right there well mark the place with attic but not access when the steps are in the closet...not at all an unusual place.

Appraisors are also supposed to note whether the property is in a HOA or not and now I'm encountering some who "forgot".

So...more paperwork, another inspection, more time.

Basically, the person who is getting the loan and thereby the appraisal needs to have the lender send the appraisor back out. As has been said the buyer's realtor can tell the buyer how to do this.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM

936 posts, read 2,201,539 times
The appraiser should have been supplied with a copy of the sales contract, so that would be a huge error if they didn't know what they were appraising.

It's obviously a mistake. Your agent needs to contact the lender to get it straightened out.

One huge problem with appraising nowadays is that the experienced appraisers such as myself will no longer do mortgage appraisals due to the low fees and overbearing regulatory agencies. You're left with the bad appraisers who are willing to cut corners in order to make money with those fees. Hence, the type of situation you're in.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:24 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,151 times
Do you have an agent? Isn't this something they should be working to sort out?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:28 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
The appraiser should have been supplied with a copy of the sales contract, so that would be a huge error if they didn't know what they were appraising.

It's obviously a mistake. Your agent needs to contact the lender to get it straightened out.

One huge problem with appraising nowadays is that the experienced appraisers such as myself will no longer do mortgage appraisals due to the low fees and overbearing regulatory agencies. You're left with the bad appraisers who are willing to cut corners in order to make money with those fees. Hence, the type of situation you're in.
^^^^BINGO.

One side or half of a duplex often sells without the other side. It appears that the appraiser was either instructed that, or believed that only one side was to be appraised. Not necessarily "negligence".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate