Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,994 times

Advertisements

Apparently, I like properties with "charm". I think this means "needs renovation."

"Cozy" means tiny. "Needs updating" means "looks like hell".

What are some other euphemisms you have encountered or use in your real estate searches/dealings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Often charm = old and cozy = small.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Often charm = old and cozy = small.

Haha. That is probably the case. I know it definitely seems to have an "old" component. And everything I looked at was definitely small. But I live in a major city where big space either in an "up and coming" (another euphemism for "scary") neighborhood or unaffordable.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
I thought this was kinda funny:

The Real Estate Euphemism Pocket Translator - The Home Front (usnews.com)

Old 12-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Love that! Funny.

My favorite is "Unique floorplan!" That meant (in one place I looked at) that you had to walk outside to get to a bedroom. Great if you live in a sunny warm climate but it snows where I am at...

Old 12-19-2013, 03:02 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Masters of overstatement, Florida Realtors make a host of advertizing claims:

"Water View" might mean that you can see the water on a clear day if you stand on the corner of the roof and look with a pair of binoculars; "Waterfront" can mean a small pond or Bayou; Even "Direct ocean/Gulf-front" may only mean that part of a building or complex is on the water.

Similarly, "walk to the beach" can mean a distance of a mile or more; "Beachside community" likely means that if one travels far enough in the right direction, they will find houses or condos adjacent to the water/beach.

"Stunning view" may only mean that the Realtor has a limited vocabulary, ... or has lived in a cave and never seen the sunrise, sunset, water, sky, trees, etc. before.

"Luxury" - indoor plumbing and tile or carpet on the floors.

"Unique, one-of-a-kind" - Seller has strange idea of decor or landscaping.

"Pet friendly" - Smells with stains and chewed carpets and woodwork.

... and of course, "cute, cozy, charming" are all synonymous with small and/or older.

Last edited by jghorton; 12-19-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times
"Spa-like Master Bath" -- translated: there's a jacuzzi tub and a separate shower. Unfortunately, no private masseuse comes with the house . . .

"Luxurious Master Suite" -- it has a trey ceiling

And, of course, the ubiquitous: "Open floor plan" -- builder figured out that it's cheaper not to build walls. :-)

"Finished terrace level" -- yeah, it's a basement, and yeah, it's got windows and a walk-out. But doesn't "terrace" sound so much cooler?

It's sort of like all those hundreds of college brochures that high school seniors get. I swear, almost every single college in the United State is "10 minutes from town" if they aren't actually IN town.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:18 PM

297 posts, read 573,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Masters of overstatement, Florida Realtors make a host of advertizing claims:

"Water View" might mean that you can see the water on a clear day if you stand on the corner of the roof and look with a pair of binoculars; "Waterfront" can mean a small pond or Bayou; Even "Direct ocean/Gulf-front" may only mean that part of a building or complex is on the water.

Similarly, "walk to the beach" can mean a distance of a mile or more; "Beachside community" likely means that if one travels far enough in the right direction, they will find houses or condos adjacent to the water/beach.

"Stunning view" may only mean that the Realtor has a limited vocabulary, ... or has lived in a cave and never seen the sunrise, sunset, water, sky, trees, etc. before.

"Luxury" - indoor plumbing and tile or carpet on the floors.

"Unique, one-of-a-kind" - Seller has strange idea of decor or landscaping.

"Pet friendly" - Smells with stains and chewed carpets and woodwork.

... and of course, "cute, cozy, charming" are all synonymous with small and/or older.
Hey! I live on "waterfront" property! Okay, so it's a retention pond.

I love the FL listings that say there's a "peak" of the ocean from the balcony/windows.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
The best is from the Simpsons - Lionel Hutz and the 'truth' of real estate.

That house is small - I'd say it's cozy.

That house is dilapidated - I'd say it's a handyman's special

That house is on fire - Motivated seller!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
" One of a kind contemporary"- Yes and no one would ever want to replicate that mess

" professionally landscaped" - The builder put in six shrubs, a bag of pine bark and ran the crushed stone from the driveway to the front door

" rustic interior" - Maybe some day someone will figure out what to do with the
paneling through most of the house

" suitable for horses " - Sure after the loggers come in to clear a couple of acres and you
wait a couple of years for pasture to grow and put in fences

" distant winter water views"- From November to April, if you go look out the attic window

" private flag lot" - 2000' of sloping, unpaved driveway accessible only by mules, goats
and four wheel drive for half the year

" basement complete with home theater room" - acoustic tile on the ceiling, 1960's panel on the wall, linoleum on floor and wall brackets for a large screen TV.

Last edited by willow wind; 12-19-2013 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate