Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times

Advertisements

Another topic here made me wonder how many local agents put their listings on Zillow and Trulia. My realtor, who is excellent by the way, didn't list our home on either Zillow or Trulia. The listing did appear on local sites, estately.com, realtor.com, and homesnap.

We received an offer from a local couple and the traffic was from local people. Listing on Zillow/Trulia doesn't really bother me as long as I get traffic/responses. It seems like many agents around here where I live like to keep listings local or use realtor.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 10:36 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,281,651 times
our agent used all available listing vehicles. the local MLS, Realtor.com, Trulia, Zillow, and if there are any others I'm not sure.

It's up to each agent which sites they put their listings on. They pay to be on those sites, so some do & some don't.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:00 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,938,386 times
Don't most of those sites just pull data from MLS, I don't think anyone in my area makes it a point to post there, but those sites claim they get their data from MLS.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,694,168 times
The OP is in Austin. The Austin MLS stopped automatic syndication last April. Many of the boutique brokerages were ecstatic about that decision.

However, agents like me, who live in the real world, and understand that even though we want buyers to be searching our main MLS or our broker sites, and we don't want those third party companies charging us for leads on our own listings, still do market listings on those sites. Since many agents don't do that anymore, that also gives me the upper hand at listing appointments to show sellers that I go the extra mile to make sure no one misses their listing.

Some don't syndicate out of principle, but when you're running a business and representing people to the fullest, principle shouldn't get in the way of common sense.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:46 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,111,981 times
I think not appearing on zillow or trulia makes no difference for a property that's on the local MLS. It's not like a buyer that finds a property on zillow is going to purchase that property without looking on the local MLS to make sure there's not something better or cheaper. An agent who goes to the trouble of putting his listing on zillow, does all similar properties a favor. One boat chumming the water attracts fish for all the nearby boats.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 PM

254 posts, read 1,179,140 times
Interesting. I'm in Austin and found a house that was listed only on Zillow's "Coming Soon" but nowhere else with an open house date listed for this Sunday. I happened to drive by the house and see the sign and flyers, so I called my realtor and asked her if we could see it this week since I will be out of town. She called the agent who said when it lists tomorrow on the MLS it will automatically go to Pending as it's already under contract. Annoying as a buyer.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:54 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,618,102 times
Our MLS syndicates to Zillow and Trulia, so yes, they appear. Then, as agents, we go in an fix the small errors that usually occur in translation -- i.e., some of the feeds don't populate correctly from our MLS's data, and information such as half baths and garage, etc. don't list properly. It takes about five minutes.

We also like to post open houses on Zillow/Trulia -- as agents, we may roll our eyes at Zillow, but when your clients are looking at it regardless of the MLS searches you send them, etc., then you need to be able to play in the sandbox.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,718,339 times
There was a listing in Zillow for a home for sale in my community listed for $75,000. It shocked me as I've never seen prices that low where I live. A neighbor told me it was supposed to be $375,000 and the realtor could not get Zillow to correct it and they had even paid for it to be listed. It was finally taken down as I guess it couldn't be fixed. I can't imagine how many calls they got because of that error.

And while I don't trust Zillow for comps, it is handy to check on their map what's for sale. Well now I take that too with a grain of salt....

Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,095,979 times
My broker pays for all of our listings to be in all of those sites, plus many others (I think 50 or so), plus 18 international sites.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
I actually find myself looking at realtor.com and homesnap over Zillow or Trulia. Why? Because they are almost real time v. the lag with the two popular sites. I'm not really upset that my home wasn't listed on either, actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate