Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:06 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times

Advertisements

I am simply elaborating on the previous posts. As you can see, everybody is generally in agreement, so all I am providing are some additional details.

Get a buyers agent. This will cost you nothing, as the buyers agent is paid by splitting the sales commission of the house. As a simplified example, if you buy a $100,000 house, the seller pays a $6,000 commission. If you have a buyers agent, each agent gets $3,000. If you don't have an agent, the sellers agent gets $6,000. Don't try and get cute, asking to buy the house for $97,000 if you don't have an agent. It won't work, the sellers agent will get the whole amount.

Don't sign a non-rescindible representation agreement. If you don't like the agent, you want to be able to get out of the agreement with a simple notice.

Watch out for anything that says you guarantee the agent a certain commission. In the case of a 5% split, slightly lower than my example above, the buyers agent will come to you for $. Don't agree to any fees, charges, etc.

Now that you have a free professional working for you, use their advice, which will probably be:

Get qualified for a loan. You probably want to use one company only, because using multiple brokers/banks may result in too many credit checks, resulting in a declining credit score, resulting in higher rates or a denial.

Now you know what you can theoretically get for a mortgage. Buy for less than that. Maxing out your mortgage is usually an excercise in doom, as every dime you make after buying food will go into your house. You will be stretched for credit, so you won't be able to finance a car for years.

Look for houses.

You will spend money along the way. A home inspector will cost you a few hundred dollars, an appraisal a few hundred more. The one time I used an attorney it was a flat fee and paid at closing. I think it was about $1000-$1500.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 03:35 AM

108 posts, read 146,587 times
Get more knowledge about how to buy a house, read books and try to know online. It would be also good if you hire a real estate agent.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,304,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Get qualified for a loan. You probably want to use one company only, because using multiple brokers/banks may result in too many credit checks, resulting in a declining credit score, resulting in higher rates or a denial.

I just wanted to point out to those "rate shopping" that this is not entirely accurate. There is a 14 day window (I think, check with your lender) where you can shop for rates at various institutions and its considered ONE loan, so you only take the credit hit (which is small) once. But you have to do your rate shopping within this window.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
I just wanted to point out to those "rate shopping" that this is not entirely accurate. There is a 14 day window (I think, check with your lender) where you can shop for rates at various institutions and its considered ONE loan, so you only take the credit hit (which is small) once. But you have to do your rate shopping within this window.
Thanks for the clarification. I did say "may" effect credit score, as I wasn't positive. It does sound like it is ok to shop aroind s bit as long as you do it within some strict guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate