Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 28,352 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a Mother of a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I got my real estate license 4 months ago, but haven't had much business. I am getting involved in community events, church, school, etc and trying to make friends/acquaintances, letting people know I'm an agent, but I haven't gotten much business. It is hard for me to have conversations with people while I have my kids with me though. And that's pretty much always, unless I have an appointment with someone, then I drop my kids off at an hourly day care and meet, show homes, etc. But I wonder some times if people think I'm going to be bring my kids with me and so they don't give me a chance to help them with real estate needs.

IS ANYONE OUT THERE A SUCCESSFUL AGENT AND A FULL-TIME MOTHER AS WELL?

I just want to know if it's even possible to make it in this career with my scenario, or if I'm just kidding myself. I'm not looking to make big money, not yet, my husband has a good income. But I don't want to be spending more than what I am making either. Any tips would be great! Thanks!

Last edited by A-Lady; 03-01-2015 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: comma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 02:50 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times
Honestly, I'm not going to hire a full-time mother that is a part-time agent. If you are social networking to get leads, the kids need to be with a babysitter.

" It is hard for me to have conversations with people while I have my kids with me though."

Other than passing the RE exam, what are your qualifications? Have you worked in architecture / design, construction, finance, R.E. before?

Old 03-01-2015, 03:03 PM

Thanks for your honesty.

This is the first time I am in real estate. But everyone is new at their career for some time right? I am always taking classes to be on top of real estate laws, trends, mortgage info, home inspections, etc. And I do have a Mentor that I go to, to double check my contracts, because I care very much about my clients and their needs, so I work very hard and I put all my effort into my job.

As far as other qualifications, I don't know that I have any. And as far as being a part-time agent. I do plan on doing it full-time, but I have to be able to afford the baby sitting costs. So I need to get a little more business before I can do that. Anyway, so I definitely agree...I need to start dropping them off at daycare when networking. But I am really running out of funds in order to do so...and that is obviously a problem...an obstable. That is why I am wondering if there are moms that are real estate agents and if they have any tips they are willing to share.

Thanks.

Last edited by A-Lady; 03-01-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 03:22 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I started working when my son was in kindergarten. I cannot imagine trying to do this job with young kids with me all the time. Yes, I brought my son with me on the occasional house hunting trip when my husband was working late and I had late afternoon showings. But I only have 1 child, and he is extremely well behaved.

How do you get appointments when your kids are always with you? You can't even make phone calls with 3 little ones. And you certainly cannot network.

I met most of my clients the first year through open houses. That means you will need to leave the kids home!

Old 03-01-2015, 03:39 PM

Hi Nina, when I'm out with clients, I do drop off my kids at a daycare. I have never brought them with me to show a home or meet with a client at all. But otherwise, I have them with me all day. I have not hosted an open house yet, but I would obviously plan to leave my kids with my husband or daycare. I hope I do get the opportunity to host one soon.

And yes, phone calls can be tough. I try to make most of my phone calls during their naps, or I leave them in their room for a few minutes where I know they are safe and I take the call in the next room, so there is no noise in the background. Or if my husband is home, then he watches them while I talk downstairs, away from the noise. I also communicate a lot through email and texting. But I have to admit, it is definitely stressful at times.

And to answer your question. I've gotten appointments/clients mostly through postings on Facebook pages, family and friend referrals, and some marketing.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing!

Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Yes I did it. I started when my kids were 3 and 5. It is insanely hard to parent kids that age and build a business. Doable, but hard.

You need to find a brokerage that will give you prospects, or join a team that will give you prospects. You don't have time to generate business so you need to pay your brokerage or your team leader to do that on your behalf at this stage in your life. Then when your youngest is in kindergarten, you should have enough clients that you will start to get some referral business from past clients. Then you can leave the team or do whatever at that point in time.

Since you are extremely time limited, you need to spend your time being with clients rather than generating business to find clients. This means you need to pay someone else for generating the business on your behalf.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:22 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I started in RE before kids. Then had 3 in 6 years. I scheduled showing when hubby came home and on weekends. I did my paper work during nap time, returned calls during Blues Clues. Then all three were in school, then they all graduated high school.

You have to be highly organized, and have a plan to deal with high maintenance clients.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Your kids are too little.
Wait a few years.
Immeasurable difference.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
I know someone who is the top agent by far in a particular area. Her youngest was in middle school when she started. Her husband had banker's hours and could help with the kids a lot but they could also take care of themselves.

It is more common to have a wife available to the children and the husband perhaps with long hours but at least they could work it out.

Also, at least mom did very very well so that they do take great vacations, have regular family dinners out and family evenings at shows, etc. Mom does attend all the sports events, etc. the kids are in....and supports those events financially not just with ad signs for her business but also with donations to making the event big.

What I've noticed is she is from an old family in that area with lots of long time contacts. She had boundless energy and not only joins groups but works them, contributing food, packing things for the poor or holidays, all the hands on stuff.

That is another way for her to stay close with the kids by working together with them.

It seems to be the kind of family where the mom is busy and away often but totally engaged when at home. And the kids and husband say well, think of all the benefits, the college, the team uniforms, the trips, mom taking not just the kids to a great movie but their friends along with them, etc. And, I have heard people say the exact same thing about a busy hard working dad up to the word benefits. I mean, yes, a lot of benefits from a lot of hard working people. But this family gets extra because mom is very successful.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes I did it. I started when my kids were 3 and 5. It is insanely hard to parent kids that age and build a business. Doable, but hard.

You need to find a brokerage that will give you prospects, or join a team that will give you prospects. You don't have time to generate business so you need to pay your brokerage or your team leader to do that on your behalf at this stage in your life. Then when your youngest is in kindergarten, you should have enough clients that you will start to get some referral business from past clients. Then you can leave the team or do whatever at that point in time.

Since you are extremely time limited, you need to spend your time being with clients rather than generating business to find clients. This means you need to pay someone else for generating the business on your behalf.
Hi Silverfall,

It's nice to hear from someone who has been in my shoes, or at least in a similar situation as me, and is successful!

I have thought about joining a team, but I've been a little hesitant about asking because I don't know what their expectations for me would be. But I think you have a very good point, I do have very limited time, since I want to be with my kids as much as possible, so hopefully working in a team would help me generate leads and I'll spend my time away from my kids with clients and not just trying to get clients.

And yes, I think that time flies and my kids will be in school soon, or at least 2 of them and I can afford to take the other to daycare. And at that point I'll have more time to focus on my career.

Thanks so much for sharing! I appreciate your advice very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate