Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM

119 posts, read 285,582 times

Advertisements

Hi,

There are loads of studies like this one (http://www-siepr.stanford.edu/workp/swp07001.pdf) from reputed universities that say realtors: don't increase selling price, can even cause a reduction in selling price (if its dual representation) etc.

For example, this one says: "We find no evidence that the use of a broker leads to higher av- erage selling prices, or that it significantly alters average initial asking prices."

So why do people continue to use agents to sell their property? Is it inertia? Something else? The study does conclude homes sell slightly faster with brokers but I doubt that's the reason people pay 5-6% commission?

Please answers from actual sellers not realtors speculating why people like to use them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,444,869 times
Article

There is so little to compare a FSBO with a R Sold property. How can they have a meaningful sample to survey?

Old 02-12-2015, 02:30 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
As a seller, having a good realtor manage everything really helps. I don't like negotiating, pricing, marketing, or any of that. It's worth every penny to have an experienced professional take on that pain and analyze the market so that I'm not looking like a boob. I don't know why real estate professionals get raked over the coals so much. There are garbage ones, but ones worth their salt are gems indeed. We will fork over $19,000 but given all of what we've been through? Well worth every penny. Besides, they only get half of that commission.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Article

There is so little to compare a FSBO with a R Sold property. How can they have a meaningful sample to survey?
Well I don't think a paid study/advertisement by Colorado realtors compares to an independently funded Stanford study. There are similar studies by Cornell and MIT that reach similar conclusions.

It would be really good to hear from actual sellers as to why they chose to use a realtor/broker.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:45 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
I'm getting ready to sell a house. I have no desire to do the work myself. I trust my agent to market and sell my house and do all the legwork and upfront negotiations. Basically it's the same reason people take their taxes to a CPA, or take their car to a shop. They could do the work themselves, but why if you don't want to and don't have to.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontKnowIfImComingOrGoing View Post
Well I don't think a paid study/advertisement by Colorado realtors compares to an independently funded Stanford study. There are similar studies by Cornell and MIT that reach similar conclusions.

It would be really good to hear from actual sellers as to why they chose to use a realtor/broker.
This was NOT commissioned by CAR - it was the University of Denver.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Thanks. Lets say all those Stanford, Cornell, MIT studies are correct and realtors don't get you a higher selling price then your effectively paying the commission to save you the time and hassle. Okay that is a reason.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
This was NOT commissioned by CAR - it was the University of Denver.
The "article" you pointed to was not a journal paper, rather it was a set of slides by realtors in Colorado who even copyrighted their slides!

Where is the journal paper like the one I highlighted?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Lets say all those Stanford, Cornell, MIT studies are correct and realtors don't get you a higher selling price then your effectively paying the commission to save you the time and hassle. Okay that is a reason.

How did one study become all those?

If you take Texas for example, a non disclosure state, how in the world are Sellers going to figure out the correct market price?

Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Hi,

There are loads of studies like this one (http://www-siepr.stanford.edu/workp/swp07001.pdf) from reputed universities that say realtors: don't increase selling price, can even cause a reduction in selling price (if its dual representation) etc.

For example, this one says: "We find no evidence that the use of a broker leads to higher av- erage selling prices, or that it significantly alters average initial asking prices."

So why do people continue to use agents to sell their property? Is it inertia? Something else? The study does conclude homes sell slightly faster with brokers but I doubt that's the reason people pay 5-6% commission?

Please answers from actual sellers not realtors speculating why people like to use them!
The Stanford study was based on areas around campus that were sold by faculty of the university to other faculty. In fact, the homes cannot be sold to non-faculty or staff. It isn't the same thing to sell to a restricted group of people as to perfect strangers. You can't post these homes for sale like regular homes because 99.9% of home buyers were in eligible to buy the homes.

Did you read the study?

I'm not aware of the Cornell or MIT studies. I didn't find them on google so a link would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate